Transmitter Mounting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's what we thought - just wanted to confirm. I appreciate your response.

I have to admit I kind of hate the dongle. I've got a bike tube pairing it to my secondary hose but still looks ghetto. I'm sure I am going to get "you are going to die" glances from others. I'm lake diving this weekend and off to Cozumel next. I think if everything works out fine in the lake I'm going to move the SPG to the bag and move the transmitter to my left HP port.

My only hesitation is that the transmitter is reading ~150 lower than my SPG (I checked every 500 psi) and I already know my SPG reads ~100-150 low (near 3000, could be different at lower PSI). I really don't want to be diving thinking my tank pressure is really 200-300 higher than it is. The guy in the shop recommended I go into shallow water (4-5 feet) and breath the tank down to find out which one is accurate at the low end.

300 (to possibly 600) psi is a big error for an electronic transducer. If you can confirm at a shop with a calibrated gauge - send back for warranty replacement.

Oh, haha. I just looked. What tbone said.

That's what we thought - just wanted to confirm. I appreciate your response.

I have to admit I kind of hate the dongle. I've got a bike tube pairing it to my secondary hose but still looks ghetto. I'm sure I am going to get "you are going to die" glances from others. I'm lake diving this weekend and off to Cozumel next. I think if everything works out fine in the lake I'm going to move the SPG to the bag and move the transmitter to my left HP port.

My only hesitation is that the transmitter is reading ~150 lower than my SPG (I checked every 500 psi) and I already know my SPG reads ~100-150 low (near 3000, could be different at lower PSI). I really don't want to be diving thinking my tank pressure is really 200-300 higher than it is. The guy in the shop recommended I go into shallow water (4-5 feet) and breath the tank down to find out which one is accurate at the low end.
I would tend to trust the transmitter more than the SPG as @tbone1004 has suggested. The shop should be able to check the pressure though (I sincerely hope their gauges are calibrated if they are providing gas to customers).

Actually, the transmitter was within ~50 of the gauge all weekend. I checked a couple of tanks.

Frankly it worked great (no drops).

I forecast that you will lose the spg to your save a dive kit in short order as my wife and I did. There was this one dive however where just before splashing we both suddenly were failing to get a reading. We leaned in to talk about it and suddenly they started working. Duh, we had accidently swapped computers. Good laugh and great dive.

I forecast that you will lose the spg to your save a dive kit in short order as my wife and I did. There was this one dive however where just before splashing we both suddenly were failing to get a reading. We leaned in to talk about it and suddenly they started working. Duh, we had accidently swapped computers. Good laugh and great dive.

Might be worth painting a coloured dot on them or tagging them with a bit of coloured cloth and likewise on the transmitters - that way you can see at a glance if you are "paired" with the correct computer and reg set.

The computers are labeled and the regsets are not identical so the problem is we just donned the computer without looking.

You could also put it onto a 90 degree mount, a rigid extension, or a swivel. That's what I did with mine for a bit of clearance from my Atomic first stage. I felt a good bit better with it mounted that way. I used to use a short hose extension for it, but those tend to wear and leak quicker that I would like.

B

Just back from Cozumel.

Everyone was right in the end....

The first three dives I was watching both the SPG and the CPU. On dive 5 I noticed I had stopped checking the SPG completely. Spg came off that night and moved the transmitter over to the left HP so it was angled down. I left it on the dongle.

Brilliant. Completely brilliant. Everyone on the boats thought I was looney not diving with a gauge.

I really loved the unit. Worked flawlessly. The best part was unanticipated. With live SAC, I found a breathing technique that worked for me and I quickly cut my SAC by 25% and then with more practice it was down another 25. I went from always being 200 psi below my wife to ending dives 300 above her.

The best was the last dive. The DM knew I was working on air consumption and noticed I was improving all week. Near the end of the dive he ask my pressure, I flashed him back 1300. He checked his gauge and flashed back 1300. I nearly diied.

My wife is getting one for Cristmas So she can keep up. :wink:

BTW. Lots of people on boats had nonAI units. I was surprised.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom