Deep Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can't get a 1 on 1 guide, I think I'd pass if I were you. Im more concerned that you seem to be acting like adding a 30lb pony is no big deal. I'm not sure I'd be so nonchalant about that. I think I'd do some pool work prior to attempting a big change like that your rig. I think it's fair to say that you probably still have to put some thought and effort into your buoyancy and trim, there's no need to add something that could be more of a hindrance than help. I think you should be asking yourself why you think you need the pony? If it's because you are unsure of your gas management, you definitely shouldn't do that dive.

Susceptibility to narcosis varies within an individual, between individuals and day-to-day. You don't yet have the practical experience to see how it'll affect you. My first dive pushing the limits of recreational depths I did as part of a PADI Deep Diver Course; I liked it that an instructor was present with me, conditions were good and an assistant came along slinging an extra tank.

What size tank are you looking at diving? Are those depths just the deepest point you could hit, or are these mainly 'square profile' dives, like some wreck dives, where much of the dive is spent at that depth? If the latter, expect dive times to be quite short. Wonder if the plan is for nitrox or diving air?

Richard.

Pony is always a great idea for a dive like that even when you have the experience. You are always your own best buddy that way.
If you have no regular buddy I would consider it mandatory even.
It does however utterly destroy your trim and weighting (something you may not even have perfect yet if you are like every other new diver).
It will take several dives with a pony to figure out how you want to carry it and then get back into correct weighting and trim and get used to it.
30 is a BIG pony bottle. I have a 19 and without compensation it will roll you all over the place so you would be looking at slinging it I'm sure.

Thanks for the advice. Charter is the Gulf of Mexico NW FL. Offshore bridge spans and wrecks. No DM going in the water that I know of. Guides I think are $100.

Previous dives are a mix of quarry dives with horrible viz, and a boat dive in the Gulf. IDK my exact SAC rate. On my previous boat dive to 75 ft., I managed about 25 minutes I used about 2000 psi.

Just curious if I was being overly cautious.

Pony is always a great idea for a dive like that even when you have the experience. You are always your own best buddy that way.
If you have no regular buddy I would consider it mandatory even.
It does however utterly destroy your trim and weighting (something you may not even have perfect yet if you are like every other new diver).
It will take several dives with a pony to figure out how you want to carry it and then get back into correct weighting and trim and get used to it.
30 is a BIG pony bottle. I have a 19 and without compensation it will roll you all over the place so you would be looking at slinging it I'm sure.

I sling an AL30. Pool time and/or quarry time is necessary. I recently did 75ft and 85ft dives on Lake Huron wrecks. I wouldn't have dove that deep without it. I like the cushion if something goes sideways.

I wouldn't do a dive to those depths unless I was using a steel 120 with an "H" valve and the prerequisite two regulators.
I have 4 cylinders, 2 worthingtons and 2 Pressed steel E series 119's all with Dive Rite H valves for diving deeper than 75 feet. Anything greater than 31% would be too hot of a mix at 120 feet.

ResortDiver850:

Per your profile you're based out of Georgia. While I think it would be wise to get some more experience before doing what I'm about to suggest for 'down the road,' another deep dive destination not terribly far from you where I found way cheaper guide service and good diving conditions (often, at the right time of year, no guarantees), still with no 'free group guide' in the water, is North Carolina (trip report).

A typical site might go something like '110 feet to the sand, wreck sits of that, much of dive spent around 90 feet deep, me diving a steel 120-cf tank with EAN 30 (seemed to be the preferred local mix), dive times on off-shore (deep) wrecks around 35 minutes (counting 3 minute 15 foot safety stop), 2 dives/day, watch the NDL as especially with big tanks that rather than gas supply may limit you. Olympus Dive Center's guides were good.

Just a thought.

Richard.

Hello,

I have the chance to go on a charter that will be going to sites in the 90 ft to 120 ft range.

Thanks!

I would add that dive with a divemaster due to relative lack of experience. You don't have to go all the way to 120. Set your max depth at 100 feet. You'll have more air, more bottom time and add to your experience. 120 feet is near the limit for recreational diving for a variety of reasons. Above all, be safe and think safe.

Rental AL 80 tanks. Which seems like it would really limit bottom time.

I eventually want to get a pony because I am a belt and suspenders type guy, and I realize ultimately only I can really save my life underwater. I heard a SEAL say everytime your in the water it is a real time Op. I agree with that mindset.

It is interesting that these deeper dives treated as about the same as shallower dives by the dive shops.

Back
Top Bottom