Free Speech and Moderation: from Filmmaker Rob Stewart dies off Alligator Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember how's Melanie liked during my Spree trip days. She was explaining about some people tend to overly generous in using toilet paper & plugging up the toilet. She showed how much sheets should be used during boat briefing. No more than 10 sheets. :D

My wife is a cave diver. I am certainly taking the piss, and making a point.

As I said to someone off-line "Two (or in a forums instance, more than two) countries separated by a common language"; in this case English and the dialects, or ways of phrasing / meanings / intent of the words used by the tribes in various countries are often, clearly, poorly misunderstood by many in the other countries as it were, and not particularly just in this 'case' so to speak.

Sometimes I really wonder if we all really all do speak the same (English) language? ;-)

Smiling skeleton.jpg

Last edited:
Why not hit the report button and ask that it be moved back privately rather than making it a public deal? That and by the time he had posted his complaint, they had found their way back to the original thread. Patience is a virtue few seem to have time for.

To reiterate: if you believe someone's post violates the ToS: report it. Don't publicly denounce the offence, but rather, let the mods do their job. In addition, if you feel that your post has inadvertently been included in a mass move: report it. We all make mistakes and would rather handle this privately than have them decried publicly. Finally, if you disagree with the moderation or have questions in a thread and feel the need to discuss it: take it to Site Support. It doesn't belong in the thread.

Opps, seems I just inadvertently violated this advice by openly mentioning / talking to a mod in another thread, as opposed to your suggestion above. Sorry about that!

Anyway, given the mod and I were very close friends (at least were once anyway), and the instance in question I am talking about in my post 'over there' also concerns just a regular poster, I included my 'thoughts' (and some photos) all in the one post.

So, like I said there, hopefully this violation wont now have the "men with green faces come hard knocking on my door"!

But the sticker on my Mk15.5 CCR in (the rather old) photo below clearly states my level of consciousness. ;-)

Best fishes,
Kay (or as you will see over 'there', aka Kevin. Yep, outing myself!)

Not-Normal.jpg

Last edited:
Opps, seems I just inadvertently violated this advice
There will always be some off-topic banter. In most places, it's just fine as it only lasts a post or three. If it needs to be moved because it exploded unintentionally, we'll simply move it. No harm, no foul. Discussions are like that. The point in moderation is to keep discussions relevant and friendly. We try to be as flexible as possible in that regard.

Reactions: mdb
@Doc Ben, please do not take this as attack on you, but you really seem to be hostile, both in this thread, as well as in original thread. I am a FNG, in term of posts number and more importantly in experience as a diver, but why do you feel SB is such a lousy place? You speak of your suspicion of getting banned from voicing you mind? Why? Is there any reason you believe this is warranted? I had a direct conflict of opinions with @The Chairman and guess what.......didn't get banned, never even received a warning about impending doom. Of course, you are entitled to you opinion, I am entitled to disagree with you.

Edited to add: THREAD HIJACK: Regarding staff badge, how can I remove SB supporter badge? Without actually stopping being supporter? Mods? Thanks.....

I had a direct conflict of opinions with @The Chairman and guess what.......didn't get banned, never even received a warning about impending doom.
What a boring place this would be if we all posted the same thing???

Edited to add: THREAD HIJACK: Regarding staff badge, how can I remove SB supporter badge? Without actually stopping being supporter? Mods? Thanks.....
all you have to do is ask, but if you want someone to notice, you should report or post in site support.

please do not take this as attack on you, but you really seem to be hostile, both in this thread, as well as in original thread. I am a FNG, in term of posts number and more importantly in experience as a diver, but why do you feel SB is such a lousy place? You speak of your suspicion of getting banned from voicing you mind? Why? Is there any reason you believe this is warranted?
No I certainly won't. Hostile?? Your opinion. I was reluctant to join in the first place with all the blaring ads in my face and when I finally did, I wanted to read through the dialog but saw many had MOD POST and who knows what was removed. Of course the MODs will say it violated the TOS, but without seeing it, I can only take their word. It was very time consuming to read through 800 plus posts to get at the real info so made a plea to preserve the whole thread. One of the main weaknesses of this SB is to force us to sift through page by page to get at real info (according to me of course). This is my explanation...take it for what you want. There are LOTS of other places to get info and not too sure I will hang in here. Nearly all my dive buddies on the West Coast bailed out on SB. They said most of the posts come from the good ole boys on the East Coast...that seems to be the case. Perhaps that is a business opportunity to compete!!

No I certainly won't. Hostile?? Your opinion. I was reluctant to join in the first place with all the blaring ads in my face and when I finally did, I wanted to read through the dialog but saw many had MOD POST and who knows what was removed. Of course the MODs will say it violated the TOS, but without seeing it, I can only take their word. It was very time consuming to read through 800 plus posts to get at the real info so made a plea to preserve the whole thread. One of the main weaknesses of this SB is to force us to sift through page by page to get at real info (according to me of course). This is my explanation...take it for what you want. There are LOTS of other places to get info and not too sure I will hang in here. Nearly all my dive buddies on the West Coast bailed out on SB. They said most of the posts come from the good ole boys on the East Coast...that seems to be the case. Perhaps that is a business opportunity to compete!!

It'll be more than 800+ posts with off-topic comments such as this if the moderators had not filter them out for you. You should actually thank them for doing that instead of complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom