NAUI "Sport Diver" Certification from 1977

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The older certs were not in the database - back in 1970 there was not a database but records are on microfiche if you remember what those are. The older certs need to be added by hand and that is a slow process but if you have a card and do not show up on the database you can contact them and your record will move up the line and be entered so you can be verified on line. Any new NAUI certs are easily checked online.

Just stumbled on to this thread. Several years back, I tried to verify my old Naui basic scuba diver certification from 1975, but they could not locate it. I gave them the date, and instructor's name, the shop- to no avail. I had lost the card and initial paperwork, but they said if I remembered the card number, to let them know. Anyway, I am in the process of moving, and I found my old dive log and a diving permit from Truk from 1977 that references the Naui certification, with the card number! I called Naui, expecting to finally restore my card. They still can't verify it.

Just stumbled on to this thread. Several years back, I tried to verify my old Naui basic scuba diver certification from 1975, but they could not locate it. I gave them the date, and instructor's name, the shop- to no avail. I had lost the card and initial paperwork, but they said if I remembered the card number, to let them know. Anyway, I am in the process of moving, and I found my old dive log and a diving permit from Truk from 1977 that references the Naui certification, with the card number! I called Naui, expecting to finally restore my card. They still can't verify it.

I'd raise a stink. NAUI was at fault for not maintaining records. The reason they are still obstinate is probably because there is no tie between the number and your name.
Call them up and explain your problem and send a copy of your log and permit and driver's license and let them know this is important to you. It is really just a matter of the person you're dealing with making the right call.
I had lost my basic cert card from 1974, but luckily had retained the paper document, so getting a modern replacement was not too difficult. The people on the phone were pretty nice. I think an initial contact by phone is important so they take ownership of the situation on a personal level.
I hope you can resolve this. I am proud of my 1974 NAUI certification and was very happy when they sent me my card after 40 years.

Last edited:

Man, it's been 40 years. If you haven't been diving since just take the class again and get a new certification. Scuba diving has changed quite a bit since the 1970s and it will be good for you to do if you've not been since 1977.

Man, it's been 40 years. If you haven't been diving since just take the class again and get a new certification. Scuba diving has changed quite a bit since the 1970s and it will be good for you to do if you've not been since 1977.
Well, I have upgraded my training--with PADI--since I started diving again a few years ago.
But, like @scrane, I was proud of my 1975 Naui certification. I also was certified at the Coral Reef Marine Center on Guam, and it was not easy. I remember that the instructors didn't think I was a strong enough swimmer (even if I passed the swim test), and I had to take swimming classes before completing the class. We had to attend classes at Coral Reef in the evenings and weekends over many weeks. For the basic certification, we did 8 open water dives.
Hey @scrane, was your instructor Annette Donner? Mitch Warner was also teaching there around that time.

Last edited:
Many years ago I wanted to replace my original NAUI card from 1966. I contacted NAUI and requested a replacement card. They sent me a form that asked for my original instructor name, the date of certification, my personal info, and about $35, if I remember correctly. We were not issued certification numbers back then. They were very accommodating and I soon had a new, plastic card. I like to present it from time to time just so the dive shop manager can exclaim "That card is older than I am".

I still have my original AOW PADI card from 1977 and wanted to get it updated. Since my original card had no cert number I was issued a new 2017 number and I got a congratulations email from PADI on my new AOW certification, haha.

image.jpeg
These early cards are collector items.

Well, I have upgraded my training--with PADI--since I started diving again a few years ago.
But, like @scrane, I was proud of my 1975 Naui certification. I also was certified at the Coral Reef Marine Center on Guam, and it was not easy. I remember that the instructors didn't think I was a strong enough swimmer (even if I passed the swim test), and I had to take swimming classes before completing the class. We had to attend classes at Coral Reef in the evenings and weekends over many weeks. For the basic certification, we did 8 open water dives.
Hey @scrane, was your instructor Annette Donner? Mitch Warner was also teaching there around that time.

Oh yeah I completely get that. None of the agencies have records going back that far but NAUI is usually pretty good about these things. I'm a NAUI Course Director and former Regional Manager for them so PM me all of your info including copies of the logs. I'll see what I can do. Fair warning the card you will receive, if they accept your records, won't be a sports diver card but will instead probably be an Advanced card (IIRC the Sport Diver cert if equivalent to a modern advanced)

About seven or eight years ago I began to notice that my NAUI card that says "Scuba Diver" on it was getting funny looks. At the time a new card that said "Scuba Diver" on it meant you were only allowed to dive in a swimming pool with an instructor (slight exaggeration). My card was from 1969. I wrote to NAUI and asked if I could get a card with updated terminology such as "AOW" and for about $30 they sent me one that says "Master Scuba Diver." I also took another course in 1983 (along with my ex-wife to make sure they didn't leave anything out) so I guess between the two they figured I qualified. In your case it seems like they should issue a "Cave Diver" card too mainly because it's my understanding that to qualify for a Master card you don't necessarily need to take a cave diving course, but eight or ten of the qualifying courses. Is there actually a specific certification for "night diving" now? I somehow doubt that if I was to show up for an advanced cave dive somewhere my Master card would do me much good.

Legal at 100'? I'm not sure what that means. I'm sure there are DMs on dive boats that will take my girlfriend past 100' with her OW card. 90' is confirmed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom