Diving During Eclipse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why the sunglasses?
Everyone knows you're not supposed to look directly at a solar eclipse, even a partial one like it was here. I didn't want to mistakenly look at the sun, thus the glasses. I was in Regina, Sask. during the near total eclipse there in 1979. I stayed in the college cafeteria (I was getting my Masters there, that's how long ago it was) to be safe, and saw it get dark on the ground outside. It was a total eclipse elsewhere such as in Winnipeg.

Everyone knows you're not supposed to look directly at a solar eclipse, even a partial one like it was here. I didn't want to mistakenly look at the sun, thus the glasses. I was in Regina, Sask. during the near total eclipse there in 1979. I stayed in the college cafeteria (I was getting my Masters there, that's how long ago it was) to be safe, and saw it get dark on the ground outside. It was a total eclipse elsewhere such as in Winnipeg.
Just for the record, looking directly at the sun during an eclipse is no worse than looking at the sun normally (i.e. it's very bad for you.) All the warnings are because during an eclipse there is a reason for people to stare at the sun; if you happened to glance up during the eclipse while cutting your grass on Monday it would not be worse than it would have been last week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom