VA benefits and rebreather training and equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm kinda perploozled why someone would spend $19,000 to become a CCR instructor on the GI Bill, or even use VA benefits to become CCR certified. There just does not seem to be any feasible ROI there, but maybe I'm missing the big picture down here in Floriduh.

What a great waste of money.! I hope the heck that our VA is spending money on much better causes. I am a 20 year retired Marine Corps vet and would never even think of taking the money away that could be used in better ways like for those that returned with PTSD, missing limbs, decreasing the wait times at VA hospitals, etc. But never for a damn RB class!!!!

This falls under education benefits. It's so funny for years and years these type of certifcaitons is what so many Vets were wanting and not the tradional methods of college and univeristyschooling. Post 9/11 Gi Bill came out and it opened the door and since, has opened up more pathways for certifications as many Vets has been asking for this. Majority not ALL.

There are many Reasons why SVM utilize the Gi Bill for the various means of education. Retirees I can tell you that don't want to pass all the benefits on to their kids essentially have 36 months of entitlements to use and don't really want to sit in a classroom setting. They would rather do something on the technical side not requiring your traditional means of classroom instruction. Not to mention the housing allowance for each 30 days of instruction. Depending where you are it could be pretty decent. Ft. Lauderdale is about $2400 a month. Not to bad considering now they will be getting paid a stipend while learning or getting certified something.

SVM's not retiring same thing. At the end of the day, they have all stood the watch and its one of the benefits we recieve upon an honorable exit from service.

You can't just get qualified, that is not the intent. Any dive training that is done has to be to a professional level. Starting with divemaster all the way through to Tec 40 and Tec 40 CCR instructor.

This falls under education benefits. It's so funny for years and years these type of certifcaitons is what so many Vets were wanting and not the tradional methods of college and univeristyschooling. Post 9/11 Gi Bill came out and it opened the door and since, has opened up more pathways for certifications as many Vets has been asking for this. Majority not ALL.

There are many Reasons why SVM utilize the Gi Bill for the various means of education. Retirees I can tell you that don't want to pass all the benefits on to their kids essentially have 36 months of entitlements to use and don't really want to sit in a classroom setting. They would rather do something on the technical side not requiring your traditional means of classroom instruction. Not to mention the housing allowance for each 30 days of instruction. Depending where you are it could be pretty decent. Ft. Lauderdale is about $2400 a month. Not to bad considering now they will be getting paid a stipend while learning or getting certified something.

SVM's not retiring same thing. At the end of the day, they have all stood the watch and its one of the benefits we recieve upon an honorable exit from service.

Care to tell all of us where you get your facts from. I am a Retired Marine as well as my brother and my brother-in-law is a retired AF Chief. None of us share what you are stating as fact. So, where do you get your vast amount of knowledge from?

Tony - All the above is truth. Check out the website for the Hawaii Scuba University or Dive Station, previously posted. I'm active duty and looked into this myself.

When did you retire and your family retire? This applies to the Post 9/11 GI Bill. For me, I decided using GI Bill to go to college, getting a better job, then using my future salary to buy dive gear was a much better choice. If someone's sole goal is to be a scuba instructor and will never attend a college class, then using Post 9/11 GI Bill is an option.

Sam

When you say VA,do you mean the vocational rehab through the VA or the Post-911 GI benefits?
I ask because I think the vocational training through the voc-rehab requires you to be making a career change due to disability. That is probably a little more flexible,at least in my experience,then the GI Bill.
I also ask because I plan to retire in 7 years and I would be very interested in instructor training plus tech training,if I'm eligible.

Tony - All the above is truth. Check out the website for the Hawaii Scuba University or Dive Station, previously posted. I'm active duty and looked into this myself.

When did you retire and your family retire? This applies to the Post 9/11 GI Bill. For me, I decided using GI Bill to go to college, getting a better job, then using my future salary to buy dive gear was a much better choice. If someone's sole goal is to be a scuba instructor and will never attend a college class, then using Post 9/11 GI Bill is an option.

Sam
I totally understand what is available but the OP was asking about RB training and equipment. Not a path to being an instructor.

When you say VA,do you mean the vocational rehab through the VA or the Post-911 GI benefits?
I ask because I think the vocational training through the voc-rehab requires you to be making a career change due to disability. That is probably a little more flexible,at least in my experience,then the GI Bill.
I also ask because I plan to retire in 7 years and I would be very interested in instructor training plus tech training,if I'm eligible.

Dr. Tracy,
I believe it can be done either way. I Google "gi bill scuba" and get a couple of Post 9/11 GI Bill scuba instructor programs in Hawaii and Florida. When I was a DM with Patriot Scuba in Occaquan, VA they were working on the voc-rehab path and think they'd just "cracked the nut" before I left there. They have a lot of wounded warrior customers so it was worth their time investigating. I no longer DM for Patriot as my wife got a full-time job at a different dive shop so they let me go.
Sam

I have recently been looking into this also since there is a program in Beaufort, NC that will take you from OW to divemaster, instructor, or through the tech pathways. From what I understand on the program does not cover gear, as stated by the course directory, and is funded through Tuition assistance or Post-911 gi bill.

as Sabbe stated, I don't ever plan on taking college courses, so is using my GI-bill to become a divemaster or instructor worth it? is there need for instructors large enough that I could find a place of employment when I get out (if I get out) here shortly? It's basically 13k for divemaster and 22k for instructor. if one was not to use this program how much would it cost to become an instructor? Could one see this as a possible career path for somebody who has limited knowledge and experience diving, but enjoys it enough to pursue this pathway?

Discovery Diving - Divemaster Program
Discovery Diving - Instructor Program

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom