What ever happened to Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We recently made some changes and doing better than ever! Mainly doing private lessons and dive travel is huge with us, we have been doing 2 major trips a year one is for our shore divers and the other trip for our liveaboard divers!

Wow- I really wish that I had consulted this forum before my trip to KL. I only had two days there and I dove with Sea Dwellers. they were all very nice people but cancelled half of the dives- they said it was because of choppy conditions but it seemed very calm to me- I am used to much worse in the tropics. I suspected that they didn't have enough people to fill the boat. I ended up doing all four of my dives at Molasses reef which would have been fine if I was a beginner or had only experience in cold water but as I tend to dive the best spots in the Caribbean, I was very disappointed. I got the impression that their 'bread & butter' are "discover diving" guests because the boat was CRAMMED with them for my second trip.

I also wish that I had known about the History of Diving Museum beforehand and I would have gone there when one of the two trips were cancelled instead of just catching it on my way out of town. it's an impressive collection.

Have dove with HD and OD recently. I did not have any issues with OD. But then I don't expect ops to treat me like I am their long lost brother. Just be helpful. I also like their go out with only a couple divers policy. Since I stay near mile marker 100 and walk to the boats, HD location is a bit inconvenient. I have always liked coming down for a few days and never getting in a car until time to go back.

OD is now running more boats with what appears to be the same office staff so might just be a case of they are busier.

Wow- I really wish that I had consulted this forum before my trip to KL. I only had two days there and I dove with Sea Dwellers. they were all very nice people but cancelled half of the dives- they said it was because of choppy conditions but it seemed very calm to me- I am used to much worse in the tropics. I suspected that they didn't have enough people to fill the boat. I ended up doing all four of my dives at Molasses reef which would have been fine if I was a beginner or had only experience in cold water but as I tend to dive the best spots in the Caribbean, I was very disappointed. I got the impression that their 'bread & butter' are "discover diving" guests because the boat was CRAMMED with them for my second trip.

I also wish that I had known about the History of Diving Museum beforehand and I would have gone there when one of the two trips were cancelled instead of just catching it on my way out of town. it's an impressive collection.

We have been in Key Largo since 1974 and try to respect and show our customers a good time . We don't have
set destinations for our trips as we try and go where conditions are best each day . I wish we could control the weather
as most operators do in the Keys but unfortunately we are slaves to the weather . Key Largo diving can be fantastic .
I hope all of you who come to Key Largo enjoy yourselves with which ever operator you choose .

I do agree that the History of Diving Museum is a great activity ! We had one our groups do a function there and everyone
enjoyed it ! Sea Dwellers

Wonder how Captain Slate's operation is doing? Perhaps someone posted it elsewhere and I may have missed it. They were sure great when I dove The Duane with them back in August 1994. Anyone know what happened to Instructor Lauren Porter? I don't see her listed on their website...Captain Slate's Scuba Adventures Dive Center - Florida Keys

I wish we could control the weather
as most operators do in the Keys but unfortunately we are slaves to the weather
I feel your pain!!! One of the reasons why I moved to Cave Country. Wind doesn't bother me much in a cave! :D
Wonder how Captain Slate's operation is doing?
Spencer and company are doing fine and moved to MM 89, Ocean Side across from Conch Republic and up the road a bit from FlaKeys. I've said it before and I'll say it again: It's hard to go wrong with any dive op in the Keys. The few with a bad rep have either folded or found new ownership. I have my favorites, but all of them are great.

Wonder how Captain Slate's operation is doing? Perhaps someone posted it elsewhere and I may have missed it. They were sure great when I dove The Duane with them back in August 1994. Anyone know what happened to Instructor Lauren Porter? I don't see her listed on their website...Captain Slate's Scuba Adventures Dive Center - Florida Keys

We are going to Key Largo next month and emailed four dive ops for info. Capt Slate is the only one that never responded. Maybe they are doing well enough to not need our business?

We are going to Key Largo next month and emailed four dive ops for info. Capt Slate is the only one that never responded. Maybe they are doing well enough to not need our business?
That might be the case. All shops change over the years as people come and go but what I remember of Slates's place was great. I am pretty sure it is a challenge to keep the really good people, but if anyone could, it would be Slate. I will see for myself in October. Maybe The Chairman would let me stay at his old place in Tavernier as he has found a new home in a cave.:yeahbaby:

Maybe The Chairman would let me stay at his old place in Tavernier
Someone else is living there now, but go ahead and tell them I sent you! :D :D :D Be sure to have the gopro running so we can laugh at their response.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom