Dry Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks @Kland84 for starting this thread. I too am starting to do research for the eventual purchase of a drysuit. Based on various recommendations here on Scubaboard, I started looking at the USIA Techniflex because of the reviews and because the price seemed to be reasonable. However, when you started adding in options (most of which I considered a must have), the price ballooned by about 60%.

So, my question is, is this fairly typical when shopping for drysuits? In other words, do drysuits that fall in the $2500 price range already have all the options added in? And, are $1400 drysuits only comparable when you add in options that bring the price up to $2500?

And, my last question (for now) is related to the Bare D6 HD Pro drysuit. It appears that the D6 Pro is NOT a front zip (one of my desired attributes). Is that correct?

Thanks @Kland84
So, my question is, is this fairly typical when shopping for drysuits?
It appears that the D6 Pro is NOT a front zip (one of my desired attributes). Is that correct?

Bare: yes, you are correct, D6 HD Pro is a neoprene suit with back entry.

Cost: in my case, the most recently purchased suit was 1800 arbitrary units, plus neck seal upgrade for 200 units and p-valve option for another 200 units. Everything else that I needed (tech pockets, choice of boots, choice of zipper, choice of wrist seals, name tag etc. - plus a bag, a hose, and a hood) was included.

Cost: in my case, the most recently purchased suit was 1800 arbitrary units, plus neck seal upgrade for 200 units and p-valve option for another 200 units. Everything else that I needed (tech pockets, choice of boots, choice of zipper, choice of wrist seals, name tag etc. - plus a bag, a hose, and a hood) was included.

Thanks. That's helpful. You included similar options that I'd like to have.

Only the techies are willing to pay the cost and take the hassle of a P-valve. The rest of us just make sure to take a leak just before zipping up. Unless you've overdosed on coffee or overdone the hydration thing, holding it for an hour or so shouldn't be too hard.

You forgot "over about 40 years old." During a one-hour dive this past weekend, I think I peed three times--same as when I dive in a wetsuit. I don't THINK I over-do the hydration thing--my mouth gets dry unless I drink a good amount of water before the dive.

To me, there is only one absolute that I would recommend no matter what: A zipper entry that you can open and close yourself. That means, mostly likely, a diagonal zipper across the chest. But, Mobby's does make a suit with a unique zipper that goes around the back that you can do by yourself.

Beyond that, your choices are:

Neoprene, Crushed or compressed neoprene, tri-laminate, or breathable tri-laminate (as a simplified list). They all have their pros and cons.

Attached boots or socks.

Seal types (for wrist and neck). Neoprene, latex, field-replaceable latex, or silicone (which would always imply field-replaceable).

Pockets. One or two. Thigh on the side or on the front.

Pee valve, yes or no. These are easy enough to add later, if you don't get one up front.

All of those things have pros and cons. Only you can assess which ones make the most sense for your budget and your plans for diving.

I had a Bare XCS2 Tech, which was compressed neoprene, diagonal chest zip, latex seals, attached boots, no pockets, and no pee valve. I sold it recently and haven't missed it at all. It was heavy, really heavy when wet, took forever to dry, really hot to have on in warm weather while gearing up and during a surface interval, and seemed to hold a little more of an air bubble than my other suit.

My only drysuit, currently, is a Waterproof D9X. It is breathable tri-lam, diagonal chest zip, field-replaceable silicone seals all around, neoprene socks, thigh pockets, and no pee valve. The seals and socks are mods that I had done after I got the suit. I really like this suit. I use it in the local quarry which gets down to 37F at the bottom and I have used it on technical dives in 80 degree water, and have been comfortable in both extremes and all in between. Being a lightweight tri-lam, it seems to shrink-wrap onto my body better in the water, to have less of an air bubble to manage than what my Bare suit had. And, now with the socks, I can turn it completely inside out to dry if/when I get water inside.

If you have to buy via mail order, having good measurements is key. But, being able to try stuff on would be even better. If you ever down to the DC area, my local shop stocks a lot of drysuits. They have Bare, Waterproof, Hollis, Mobby's, and ScubaPro drysuits in stock. They are also a Fourth Element dealer and have at least one or two of those in stock, but not a range of sizes, so you would just have to get really lucky for them to have one of those in stock to fit you. Likewise, for DUI. They just have 1 or 2 in stock, I think. They don't have all models and all sizes of the other brands, either, but they have a pretty good selection. And generally good prices on all of them.

Also, if you're going to mail order, another option to look at is Seaskin, from England. You can order a tri-lam suit fully made to measure, with every option you can think of, for just over USD$1000, the last time I priced one out.

Dry Suits from Seaskin Custom Drysuits home page - Seaskin Custom Diving Suits

I haven't seen one in person, but there are one or two people here on SB that I've seen post that they have a Seaskin and like it.

So, my question is, is this fairly typical when shopping for drysuits? In other words, do drysuits that fall in the $2500 price range already have all the options added in? And, are $1400 drysuits only comparable when you add in options that bring the price up to $2500?

And, my last question (for now) is related to the Bare D6 HD Pro drysuit. It appears that the D6 Pro is NOT a front zip (one of my desired attributes). Is that correct?

I use a Waterproof D1 - very warm suit. If you are diving cold waters I have had mine in 37 degree Fahrenheit several times and still remain warm.
It is a rear entry back zip but I use a piece of cave line and a small wooden block to self don when I am solo.

The suit has a mesh lining called constant volume which traps air between you and the suit lining so the cold never hits you directly.
The downside is you use a bit more lead than a normal trilam suit. The positive is you stay warm.
The suit comes fully loaded (two thigh pockets).
I really like mine. Take a look as an option. :)

I am in the market for a dry suit. I have never dived in one, but I'm going to take a class. I'm looking for recommendations... I live in Upstate NY. It gets cold here!!! Is there a recommended dry suit? I have tried to search previous posts, but I'm working off cellular data right now and the search function is slow.

Cost is not an issue, I just want something that will last a while. I will use the dry suit primarily in the NE.

Thanks for any help!

My thermal requirements changed as diving dry opened more doors. Longer exposures in colder waters demand more protection and eventually my custom fitted suit no longer had space left and had to buy another. You will also notice that many divers own several dry suits for various reasons.

My second buy was a Whites Fusion (now Aqualung). I like the design as it enables me to significantly add or remove thermal protection (or body seize/weight) without sacrificing fit and drag through the water. The moment you body shape changes in any shape or form, a custom fiited suit is no longer a custom fit.......

I use the suit all year round in very warm and very cold conditions.

Last edited:
DUI

I've become very interested in the Apeks fusion kvr1 with aircore. I've seen it goes for around 2600$ in many places around the world but here in The Netherlands it goes for €1850 so that's a really big difference and if you can buy it for the price that it is going for here in The Netherlands it becomes actually a really interesting option considering quality/price ratio I think.

As far as I know lately the Apeks Fusion KVR1 with Aircore is really top of the market, considering you can buy that for 1850 euro I think that's a solid price. Disclaimer: I don't own this suit, neither did I every dive with it but I've been doing some research about it, including a thread I started here on SB about it. There are also other threads/comments about this suit and all the comments I've seen from people who own one or did dive with it are super positive about this suit.

Back
Top Bottom