I have never been so proud to be a Texican.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
As many of you may know, I have lived in Cozumel since 1992( previously a native from California and became a dual citizen of Mexico in 2005. But some of you also know I have roots in Texas ( Houston Area) and have minor children there and a business as well.

Hurricane Wilma in 2005 was an incredible crush on everyone in Cozumel but I regard that as one of the most inspiring times of my life. The people accepted their lot, rolled up their sleeves and rebuilt Cozumel to be better than before. Those who were there remember the spirit of the people of Cozumel and the wonderful outcome.

On a trip here to Houston to visit my family and young children I ran into this horrible "Harvey", indeed got stuck here as my flight back to Cancun was cancelled on Sunday. In spite of the incredible waters I have kept my children safe and dry and out of harms way. On the other hand I have been watching the amazing spirit of these Texans, many of whom who have lost everything, smile and know they can rebuild their lives at sometime (when the rain ever stops). I have seen NOBODY bitch, even the Cajun Navy that came here to rescue us from Louisiana.

Then are the others who volunteer with boats, rescues and support that just could not be provided by Government. I got to tell you, the spirit of Texans is at least as great as that displayed by Cozumelenos in Wilma. Things may deteriorate later but up till now I am just amazed by the people of Texas.

I am proud to be a Texican.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Last edited:
Dave,

Great story !

I have some Texican roots that go way back..

My great great grandfather and uncle lived in east Tennessee. They were involved with Davey Crockett who convinced them to pack up and resettle in Texas, which they did

One was KIA at the Alamo - the other became a state senator under Sam Houston. One of the sons married my Great grand mother.

We have a copy of the marriage license.. Where it ask for nationality my great grand mother wrote "American," whereas my great grand father wrote in huge letters "TEXICAN ! "

Now you know why I am Sam III...

I also am proud to have a Texican heritage

Sam Miller, 111

Glad your family is safe Dave! My family is in Spring and the Woodlands - up until
This morning they were safe from the floods - I just learned that some of my family members in the Champions/Wimbledon area had to be rescued by boat from their home this afternoon as flood waters from Cypress Creek continued rising - prayers to all who are affected by this horrific storm

It is devastating to see what is happening in Houston and surrounding areas affected by Harvey - and they are in for a second strike!

Last edited:
That's awesome Dave. How are things in the Kerrville area? B.
Kerrville is on high ground and not that much rain fell in the upper Colorado River watershed. I'm sure that they are OK.

Kerrville-- I wish. Sold the ranch years ago. Today seems like the real problem for Houston is past but I know that the hardest part is not over—just like the aftermath of Wilma. I'll get back to Coz as soon as I can get to an open airport

Dave

My prayers are reaching out to lift up all facing this life changing event! Glad you and your family are safe Dave.

This is how bad it is! This is the situation in NW Houston where I grew up - this subdivision is only a few miles from my family and where I grew up - I have friends that lived in this subdivision. My family is on the other side of Cypress Creek which is experiencing the same situation - this is mind blowing and heartbreaking - like so many, I cannot wrap my mind around this! Prayers and more prayers for the tens of thousands of people affected by this tragic storm.

Think you've seen it all in Houston? Neighborhood of underwater homes will devastate you

I was unaware Dave you were no longer in Kerrville. Yes, the long road to normalcy will take several years I would guess. Some people will just leave and never come back. It is sad this has happened. Praying for all involved. B.

Went to TX for the first time a year ago. I grew up in CA and have been a let coastie my entire life. Texas people - the most friendly, polite group of folks I've met. So much space, cheap real estate, and Dallas was one of the cleanest cities ( second only Tokyo) that I've witnessed. Ill visit Houston some day...I suspect after all this mess is cleaned up ! A years worth of Seattle rain .. dropped in two days ? Holy hell.

Back
Top Bottom