Penghu Islands, Taiwan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Just noticed this thread so I will contribute what I do know. Penghu diving is certainly seasonal and that season is late March to the end of June. The rest of the year it is too windy or the sea state in too bad. There is some decent diving around the islands but I would not say that it is any better than say Green island. It is sadly, like most places in Taiwan, fished out if you were to compare it with a protected marine sanctuary such as Layand Layang . In addition there are only 2 dive shops there in Makung. The shops are not very professional and they cater to mainly spear fishermen from mainland Taiwan. The best diving in the Penghu group is undoubtable Dung Ji Island which is midway in the channel. Again a lot of spearfishermen go there. It is difficult to get to Dung Ji even in the season I tried for 3 years before I finally made it over there, using a private boat out of Tainan. The diving was pretty good, grouper, parrotfish, Napoleon wrasse, turtles, large schools of Moorish idols and Fusiliers. There are lots of wrecks in the Taiwan Straits in fact it probably has the most undived wrecks in Asia. This because most if not all of the wrecks are off limits and the property on the Taiwan govt and guarded by the Navy and coastguard. I worked for the Taiwan Navy for a while back in the early 90's on minehunters and we used sidescan sonar to do search runs. We found lots of wrecks.
if you have any questions I will be happy to help if I can.

The U.S. Navy destroyer I served on was sold to Taiwan and after a full career was sunk as an artificial reef. The information I have puts it in 130' (39m) of water off the west coast of the Penghu Islands.
I would love to locate it and dive on it. I am sailing around the world on my sailboat, currently in Malaysia. My plan is to cross over to Borneo, make my way up to the Philippines this summer. I'll probably wait out the NE monsoon in Subic Bay and then go over to Taiwan around may next year.
I am hoping to find a dive club or a buddy or two to dive with if I can find the ship and maybe get a little help with some photography. I also would like to know what the regulations and restrictions, if any, there are in the Penghu Islands.
Thanks, Jim
Hi there, were you able able to find the destroyer? If so how was it and what condition

Back
Top Bottom