Difference between Intro to Tec and Fundamentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
So let's say I want to continue to learn beyond AOW and Rescue, but don't want to go pro. What are the practical differences between these two courses? I do understand that Fundamentals would include GUE philosophy but I am less familiar with TDI's Intro to Tec.

gue will in general be more intense. GUE will allow you to continue with GUE courses if you so choose but will also count as intro to tec for the other agencies. TDI's will count across most all other agencies except GUE and UTD.

If you want to do it in sidemount, you have to go non-GUE, but if doing it in backmount it doesn't really matter as long as you have a good instructor

@Doppler is in your neck of the woods and would be good to reach out to

Fundamentals is not the class to teach you about diving doubles or stages. It's all about control of trim and buoyancy, propulsion techniques and very basic procedures (air shares in particular). They also have classroom sessions covering things like deco in more depth than you probably got in OW and there is a written test. Typically it is done the first time in a singe tank and a wet suit. (You can do it in a dry suit but don't unless you are very comfortable in the dry suit). Doubles and dry suits are covered in other classes and entrance to the tech courses requires that you demonstrate mastery of the fundamentals in the gear you are going to take the class in.

Intro to Tech is just that - an introduction. You get to "experience" some of the techniques, procedures, and advanced training used in tech diving. It is useful if you're unsure if you want to go that route. It doesn't certify you for anything new. (Some Instructors give a very good class and teach skills above the minimum requirements, do your research for a Great instructor).

Fundies is a skills building course in which you will need to understand and functionally be able to perform all skills and knowledge. It is a much longer and more intensive training than intro to Tech. The tech pass is required with GUE to take their technical and cave courses. Passing the course will involve rescue training, dive planning, gas matching, use of doubles (for tech pass), Nitrox, propulsion techniques, bouyancy control, air sharing/donation, trim, multitasking, and more. Fundies is a certification class.

Typically it is done the first time in a singe tank and a wet suit.

That might be true of certain areas, but around Toronto, which is where the OP is from, I'm sure that many more people take Fundamentals in a drysuit and doubles than a wetsuit and single tank. A Tech Pass is what more people taking Fundamentals around here are going for, though there are quite a few wetsuit and single tank divers going for a recreational pass.

In order to progress to GUE Tech 1 or Cave 1, you'd need to do Fundies first.

For a GUE instructor right in Toronto, there is Heison Chak, and within Ontario are Steve Blanchard and Jennifer Bush. There is a Toronto FB group for people interested in GUE called TAUE (Toronto Area Underwater Explorers), with lots of local mentors. Just across the St Lawrence River on the US side is Bob Sherwood and the NEUE (North East Underwater Explorers) FB group with lots of mentors as well.

I have taken both two years ago, one immediately after the other. ITT requires three dives, and I spent about 2,5 hrs in the water, both pool and sea. GUE/F requires six dives, fair enough, but I spent 32 hours in the water, both pool and sea. I can't even say for sure how many dives we did because it was a blur, especially the pool lessons which were conducted in a 15*15*15 ft reservoir.

There is very little theory in ITT. They introduce a few concepts but reserve proper explanation for later classes. Decompression, gas management, and dive planning modules of GUEF are quite adequate.

Drills such as gas sharing, as well as various propulsion techniques were shown by the instructor in ITT but practiced dive after dive after dive during Fundies. The focus of ITT was to familiarize with gear, whereas the focus of Fundies was to create muscle memory for critical procedures, and to reliably control trim and buoyancy in various conditions, e.g. under task load.

In my case, Fundies was three times more expensive and thirty times more valuable. The class was very intense, all five days were long, pretty much 8 am to 8 pm, and very exhaustive. Think of it as scuba boot camp a.k.a. extreme makeover. ITT was more like Discover Scuba Diving 2.0. YMMV.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Lots of great information!

Seems like they are very different indeed! I wouldn't exclude doing TDI Intro to Tec first, and then Fundamentals. And maybe do Fundies in 2 parts (since they offer that now) and aim for Rec pass in a wetsuit. :D Maybe I should combine it with a GUE drysuit course as well?

@Ayisha, thanks for all the GTA info. I've already checked out the TAUE FB page. This info will be very useful!

. . .
Drills such as gas sharing, as well as various propulsion techniques were shown by the instructor in ITT but practiced dive after dive after dive during Fundies. . . .

This reminds me of a quote from a SB member whose name I can't recall. I can't find his original post with the quote, but the quote remains in TSandMs signature line:

"ITT informed me that I was expected to donate my long hose whereas Fundies beat me into actually doing it, thirty times, halfway through shooting an SMB, upside down while swimming backwards in sulphuric acid."

This reminds me of a quote from a SB member whose name I can't recall. I can't find his original post with the quote, but the quote remains in TSandMs signature line:

"ITT informed me that I was expected to donate my long hose whereas Fundies beat me into actually doing it, thirty times, halfway through shooting an SMB, upside down while swimming backwards in sulphuric acid."

:rofl3:

I totally see the difference now!

that would be @VR78

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom