Any Key Largo Dive Shops Include Divemaster Guides For Free?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's been a couple years since I was there, but Quiescence did. It was a great couple of dives with a smaller number of divers

Operations that I'm aware of that provide complementary guides: sailfish scuba, rainbow reef, ocean divers, key largo dive center, islamorada dive center and key dives.

Reefman
Key largo

Bluewater used to. Not sure if they are still there.

My recent trip to South Florida allowed me a couple days to sneak away to keys. One day I took the entire family down to Key Largo and used the Charter services from Ocean Divers, which dropped a DM in the water with the group. My second day of diving I booked a charter from South Beach Surf and Dive shop, which will charge for a DM. I was placed on a charter out of Tavernier, which was Captain Slate's charter service. When I arrived the charter staff informed everyone the charter was just the taxi on this trip all the rest is organized by the the Dive shop, so get with your buddy or with the DM that came with you. Do your homework and don't assume your getting a DM.

My recent trip to South Florida allowed me a couple days to sneak away to keys. One day I took the entire family down to Key Largo and used the Charter services from Ocean Divers, which dropped a DM in the water with the group. My second day of diving I booked a charter from South Beach Surf and Dive shop, which will charge for a DM. I was placed on a charter out of Tavernier, which was Captain Slate's charter service. When I arrived the charter staff informed everyone the charter was just the taxi on this trip all the rest is organized by the the Dive shop, so get with your buddy or with the DM that came with you. Do your homework and don't assume your getting a DM.

Nothing new, Both ops (Not OD) have issues

Reefman
Key largo

Last edited:
When we dove with Rainbow Reef the last weekend in April, they provided a DM for another group that was on the boat.

We did not take advantage of the free DM because we were diving with our instructor who had a great deal of experience diving off of Key Largo.

South Beach Divers, out of Miami Beach, will take you to the Keys and will soon be including a guide for free. They're under new management.

The operator out of Pennekamp includes a guide, but that is one guide for perhaps 6-10? people on the boat. A guide costs money, if they're good they will want to be paid. So, how many people do you want distracting your guide, to share the cost? I'd think any shop could provide you with a guide, on request and for a price, if you let them know in advance. There are always local instructors, looking for paid time, familiar with the area. TANSTAAFL.

The operator out of Pennekamp includes a guide, but that is one guide for perhaps 6-10? people on the boat. A guide costs money, if they're good they will want to be paid. So, how many people do you want distracting your guide, to share the cost? I'd think any shop could provide you with a guide, on request and for a price, if you let them know in advance. There are always local instructors, looking for paid time, familiar with the area. TANSTAAFL.

Pennekamp Operator here-a personal in water guide is $40.00 with each additional $20 to a max of six. 24 hr notice required. No magic here, we lose money on every request. Just a service.

Why do you feel like you need a guide? Most reefs in Key Largo are in 30 feet of max depth. It is by far not an advanced dive by any means. Diving with a DM that has like 6-8 people with him takes much time from your dive. These 8 people all have to get in the water, get their sh*t together, add/remove weight, have their cameras handed to them or something. Then someone is out of air and it is the end for everyone.

Thus, to me personally it seems self defeating to have a guide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom