Mastering Rebreathers 2nd Edition...A Must Read for New CCR Divers??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The eBook version is $30. I bought that one yesterday and then learned that they deliver it in some locked, proprietary format that you can only read using their special reader program or application. I was expecting something I could read in my Kindle app or similar. A proprietary reader means maybe I can still read my book in 5 years, on whatever platform is current at that time, or maybe I can't. I don't like that. I emailed them and requested a refund. They took care of it promptly and now I'm ordering the physical book instead.

I have the same problem. It useless in e format. I want a hard copy.

I wish he would get not to the third edition but the mentioned second book on hipoxic trimix ccr diving ....

Is it a great read? Absolutely.

Do some people disagree with some of what is written in the book? Definitely.

Bible might be a bit of a stretch, but I'm glad I read it before training.

I just got it - easy, free setup for both the OS X and iOS versions. I also hate proprietary software for anything that has a really long potential useful life (like metadata on genealogy photos). But I figure that by the time that Adobe is out of business and there are no more legacy readers available, I'll probably want a newer rebreather book...
So is it pdf format in Adobe

So is it pdf format in Adobe
It is a certified and encrypted .pdf that needs a certified reader enabled with your adobe account. These are commonly called Adobe ebooks. You can read the book on how many device you wish. I have it on my iPad and on my laptop then I also loaded it in my mini iPad. The app for ipad is called bluefire reader, the one for win and mac is Adobe Digital Editions.

I read the first edition shortly after it came out, 4-5 years, after I took a certification course for the Drager Dolphin, Atlantis and Ray. It helped me confirm that I hadn't missed anything leaving those SCR units in my wake.

I re-read it before we moved to CCR about 2 years ago. I have not read the new edition, but I suspect that other than updating some of the later chapters to reflect current CCR units, it hasn't changed a lot. The chemistry, physics and theory hasn't changed. If I'm wrong let me know and I'll get the later edition.

I don't think the book is "essential" per se, but it gives a CCR diver a much stronger back ground in the chemistry and theoretical back ground than they'd get otherwise in the certification process.

Regulator repair certification is perhaps a good analogy. Reg techs break down into 3 categories:
1) those who took the class, are good with tools, and have a solid understanding of how regulators work;
2) those who took the class, are good with tools, but DON'T have any real understanding how regulators work; and
3) those who took the class, are NOT good with tools, and DON'T have any real understanding how regulators work.

The techs in category 1 generally already know a lot about theory and practice before they ever arrive in a certification class, and they have an aptitude for and interest in the physics and engineering involved. Some of the category 2 and 3 techs with similar aptitudes get better with extensive mentoring, and those without those aptitudes and interests don't. They never get the theoretical side of it and don't understand even basic things like how and why IP differs in piston and diaphragm first stages as tank pressure decreases, or where a leak is probably occurring based on a collection of observed symptoms.

I think three similar categories exist for CCR divers, at least at the end of the certification class, and I suspect some become more proficient over time, while others do not - again based on aptitude and interest.

At a minimum a technical CCR class will convey the basic information on building the unit, doing very basic maintenance and the basic drills and bailout modes. But for some folks it's still very much "Monkey See, Monkey Do" in terms of their overall understanding of what is going on. How cells actually work and their basic failure modes and limitations, is perhaps one example of something that I think many CCR divers only partially grasp - particularly when they are first certified. The factors involved in absorbent efficiency is perhaps another area where a new CCR diver is under educated. Similarly, I've met a fair number of CCR divers who don't understand minimum loop volume and what it allows if your computer and HUD both suddenly all go dark on exit with 1000+ feet of passage of constant depth in front of you. Is that knowledge essential? I guess it depends on the situation, how deep you are and how much bailout you have.

Experience certainly helps and it forces a continual learning process, but having a solid theoretical back ground really helps a diver benefit from the initial training, and shallows out the continual learning curve after the c-card is in hand.

That where Bozanic's book is really useful - but it's only going to help if the diver already has the basic aptitude and interest to learn from it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom