Chicago dive center recs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dewdropsonrosa

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm temporarily relocating from Madison to Chicago while there are still a couple of weeks left in the dive season. I'd like to establish a relationship with a shop so I have some options for getting fills, gear servicing/purchasing, and maybe a couple of charter trips if open. I'd be especially interested in shops that have SSI or TDI course offerings.

I'll be living in Hyde Park and I have a car. I'm familiar with DRIS, but it's a bit of a haul to get out there. What shops would you recommend based on experience?

Outside of setting up a fill station, Dive Right In Scuba is going to be your best choice. Many people from the Northern burbs go out of their way because of the excellent service and product knowledge. They also have a charter boat that is docked in North Point Marina, about a 20 min. drive from you.

DRIS. The North Point boat only goes to 1-2 wrecks. Most trips are out of Hammond Marina, right off the Skyway (I-90). The boats run until the first weekend in October.

I'm in the NW burbs and I drive the nearly 100 miles round trip weekly even for fills.

DRIS is primarily an SDI/TDI shop.

Outside of setting up a fill station, Dive Right In Scuba is going to be your best choice. Many people from the Northern burbs go out of their way because of the excellent service and product knowledge. They also have a charter boat that is docked in North Point Marina, about a 20 min. drive from you.

By the way, North Point is in the north suburbs, not far south of the WI border. You must be thinking of Hammond.

Last edited:
DRIS has three boats with one of them @ North Point Marina that goes out to The Northern wrecks sites like the Wisconsin.

I know very well where DRIS boats are kept.

My point is saying that the boat in North Point is 20 minutes from someone who lives in Hyde Park, on Chicago's south side, is incorrect.

FWIW, I tried several shops around Chicagoland, and finally settled on DRIS despite it being the furthest distance from me. Prices are average (not cheap but not unreasonable either), good selection of gear, fantastic people and instructors, great variety and frequency of classes. They treated me like family from my first visit. I honestly don't know what else I could ask for from a dive shop. Except to be closer. And give me free fills for life. That would be nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom