Computers for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, I apologize for not knowing what the acceptable standards are on this forum.

-------------------------------------------

Cochran Undersea Technology & Cochran Military designs, manufactures, and markets state-of-the-art diving computers for recreational, technical, CCR and commercial divers from our facility located in Richardson, Texas. Cochran has been designing dive computers for itself and others for over twenty five years. Cochran is the exclusive provider to the U.S. Navy and its dive computers are compliant with the "Authorization for Navy Use (ANU) Program" . Its dive computers are also being used by other international Navies and have NATO part numbers.

Come visit Cochran Undersea Technology & Cochran Military at Booth 2363 at the DEMA SHOW, Orange County Convention Center
Orlando, Florida Nov 1-4, 2017.
No problem - it's clear now and manufacturer/manufacturer rep participation here is a good thing!

"Conservative" is in the eye of the beholder. I haven't been limited by my computer so it hasn't been conservative to me. So far. I am not DM'ing though, nor doing 6 tanks/day for 2 weeks liveaboard trips. YMMV.

Have you been doing 2-a-day charters, using bigger tanks (e.g. 100s or 120s), and diving at depths in the 100 - 120 foot range?

Unless you are shockingly bad on your gas consumption, I think you would often be limited by your computer, not gas, in those conditions (which are quite common for some people).

Again, I apologize for not knowing what the acceptable standards are on this forum.

Disclosing a financial incentive (e.g. getting a paycheck) from the manufacturer when recommending a product is a very common expectation on very many Internet forums. It's not just this forum.

You may not be in the Marketing or Sales departments getting explicitly paid to promote their products. But, every little bit of marketing or advertisement helps a manufacturer stay in business. The manufacturer staying in business keeps your paycheck coming. So, you do have a financial incentive to promote Cochran's products, whether it is an overt part of your reason for posting or not.

That is true for my Shearwater's as well (I use a nickel) :wink:.

Thankfully, the Shearwaters don't need any kind of tool just to turn them on...

I believe that the need for a metal object, regardless of the type of object, to program a dive computer is what folks have an issue with? It does seem like a pain to me compared to other designs?

Using an electrical interface (shorting contacts) rather than a mechanical interface (pressing buttons) is to prevent any 'accidental' changes to the dive computer's configuration. Depth implies an increase in pressure, and mechanical switches are subject to these forces. Mechanical switches are also subject to incidental contact with other objects.

-------------------

Cochran Undersea Technology & Cochran Military designs, manufactures, and markets state-of-the-art diving computers for recreational, technical, CCR and commercial divers from our facility located in Richardson, Texas. Cochran has been designing dive computers for itself and others for over twenty five years. Cochran is the exclusive provider to the U.S. Navy and its dive computers are compliant with the "Authorization for Navy Use (ANU) Program" . Its dive computers are also being used by other international Navies and have NATO part numbers.

Come visit Cochran Undersea Technology & Cochran Military at Booth 2363 at the DEMA SHOW, Orange County Convention Center

Thankfully, the Shearwaters don't need any kind of tool just to turn them on...
Yup - just 2 fingers (wet or dry) :).

Yup - just 2 fingers (wet or dry) :).

The same applies to the EMC-20H (although only a single finger is required). In fact, the EMC-20H will turn on by itself when immersed.

---------------------------------

Have you been doing 2-a-day charters, using bigger tanks (e.g. 100s or 120s), and diving at depths in the 100 - 120 foot range?

Unless you are shockingly bad on your gas consumption, I think you would often be limited by your computer, not gas, in those conditions (which are quite common for some people).

Disclosing a financial incentive (e.g. getting a paycheck) from the manufacturer when recommending a product is a very common expectation on very many Internet forums. It's not just this forum.

You may not be in the Marketing or Sales departments getting explicitly paid to promote their products. But, every little bit of marketing or advertisement helps a manufacturer stay in business. The manufacturer staying in business keeps your paycheck coming. So, you do have a financial incentive to promote Cochran's products, whether it is an overt part of your reason for posting or not.

While I may be an employee of Cochran, I promote their products because I feel they are the best available for divers. Yes, they don't make much of a fashion statement. True, their appearance hasn't changed in a while. But when it comes down to the actual PURPOSE of the dive computer, I wouldn't have anything else to protect me or my dive buddies.

------------------------------------------

That's fair enough. It's totally ethical (even preferred) for an employee to believe in their product.

As long as everyone is aware of the potential conflict of interest, have at it.

Using an electrical interface (shorting contacts) rather than a mechanical interface (pressing buttons) is to prevent any 'accidental' changes to the dive computer's configuration. Depth implies an increase in pressure, and mechanical switches are subject to these forces. Mechanical switches are also subject to incidental contact with other objects.

There may be some type of diving where that risk and the consequences of it are so serious as to matter.

But, the number of dives being done with Shearwaters and the number of "big" dives being done (successfully) has convinced me that the Shearwater buttons don't pose any kind of significant risk to me. Not enough risk to live with needing a tool to turn it on.

Back
Top Bottom