Computers for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I may be an employee of Cochran, I promote their products because I feel they are the best available for divers. Yes, they don't make much of a fashion statement. True, their appearance hasn't changed in a while. But when it comes down to the actual PURPOSE of the dive computer, I wouldn't have anything else to protect me or my dive buddies.

I would be more impressed to read a statement like that from someone who has no financial OR social ties to Cochran.

But, a wet finger, I suspect?
So will the Shearwater's and, I believe, most DC's these days...
Every DC I've ever used does that. I think that's at least 6 or 7 different ones. Like keeping time and allowing for nitrox, I think that's a standard feature.

But when it comes down to the actual PURPOSE of the dive computer, I wouldn't have anything else to protect me or my dive buddies.
I'm curious - what makes you say this versus, say, a Shearwater Perdix AI?

To me, it seems pretty indisputable that the Shearwater has a much better/more configurable display, is more configurable/flexible, has a much more intuitive user interface, widely accepted/configurable algorithms, a great built-in compass, way better connectivity to offload dives and update firmware and is in a more ergonomic package. Is it the algorithm? If so, what about it is better and what type of diving are you doing? I'm not trying to diss the Cochran or wax on about Shearwater - Just trying to understand your POV.

I would be more impressed to read a statement like that from someone who has no financial OR social ties to Cochran.

Unfortunately, I sometimes can't live up to the standar
I'm curious - what makes you say this versus, say, a Shearwater Perdix AI?

To me, it seems pretty indisputable that the Shearwater has a much better/more configurable display, is more configurable/flexible, has a much more intuitive user interface, widely accepted/configurable algorithms, a great built-in compass, way better connectivity to offload dives and update firmware and is in a more ergonomic package. Is it the algorithm? If so, what about it is better and what type of diving are you doing? I'm not trying to diss the Cochran or wax on about Shearwater - Just trying to understand your POV.

Shearwater computers were not available when I began diving. Before I was even employed by Cochran, I had performed my 'due diligence' on dive computers (and all other pieces of dive equipment) and had determined that the Cochran Commander was the best choice for the type of diving I would be involved in (in fact, I made sure my rental reg set had a Commander before I began purchasing my own gear). Yes, the newer dive computers have exciting, flashy displays - often at the expense of battery life. I find them somewhat distracting, personally, but that is my opinion. As for the topic of algorithm, I am obviously more familiar with the Cochran algorithms than I am with the Shearwater, thus more comfortable. I have nothing negative to say about the Shearwater computers, they make a great product. Fortunately, there are choices available for each diver to find equipment that best serves their particular diving level / practices / priorities.

-----------------------------------------

Cochran Undersea Technology & Cochran Military designs, manufactures, and markets state-of-the-art diving computers for recreational, technical, CCR and commercial divers from our facility located in Richardson, Texas. Cochran has been designing dive computers for itself and others for over twenty five years. Cochran is the exclusive provider to the U.S. Navy and its dive computers are compliant with the "Authorization for Navy Use (ANU) Program" . Its dive computers are also being used by other international Navies and have NATO part numbers.

Come visit Cochran Undersea Technology & Cochran Military at Booth 2363 at the DEMA SHOW, Orange County Convention Center
Orlando, Florida Nov 1-4, 2017.

Shearwater computers were not available when I began diving. Before I was even employed by Cochran, I had performed my 'due diligence' on dive computers (and all other pieces of dive equipment) and had determined that the Cochran Commander was the best choice for the type of diving I would be involved in (in fact, I made sure my rental reg set had a Commander before I began purchasing my own gear). Yes, the newer dive computers have exciting, flashy displays - often at the expense of battery life. I find them somewhat distracting, personally, but that is my opinion. As for the topic of algorithm, I am obviously more familiar with the Cochran algorithms than I am with the Shearwater, thus more comfortable.

Cochran computers: Recommended by Cochran employees who find Shearwater displays distracting and who aren't as familiar with the Buhlmann ZHL-16C with Gradient Factors algorithm.

Noted.

Cochran computers: Recommended by Cochran employees who find Shearwater displays distracting and who aren't as familiar with the Buhlmann ZHL-16C with Gradient Factors algorithm.

Noted.

You assume that just because I don't dive a Shearwater computer, I am unfamiliar with their algorithm. Quite the opposite, as I have studied many different decompression algorithms through the years. You also seem to presume that I dislike Shearwater displays exclusively, which is also not true. I'm not sure what your issue with Cochran computers is, or if perhaps you have some personal agenda with me. Or perhaps you just have some sworn loyalty to another brand of equipment different from mine. Either way, I just ask that you keep your denigration of Cochran to yourself in the future.

-------------------------------------

Cochran Undersea Technology & Cochran Military designs, manufactures, and markets state-of-the-art diving computers for recreational, technical, CCR and commercial divers from our facility located in Richardson, Texas. Cochran has been designing dive computers for itself and others for over twenty five years. Cochran is the exclusive provider to the U.S. Navy and its dive computers are compliant with the "Authorization for Navy Use (ANU) Program" . Its dive computers are also being used by other international Navies and have NATO part numbers.

Come visit Cochran Undersea Technology & Cochran Military at Booth 2363 at the DEMA SHOW, Orange County Convention Center

Last edited:
You assume that just because I don't dive a Shearwater computer, I am unfamiliar with their algorithm.

Nope. I said you "aren't as familiar." And for that I was just taking you at your word:

As for the topic of algorithm, I am obviously more familiar with the Cochran algorithms than I am with the Shearwater

To the best of my knowledge, I have not denigrated Cochran computers anywhere. I have only stated facts, as I understand them, about Cochran computers. If I have mis-remembered something I posted about Cochran computers or if I have posted something about Cochran computers that is not correct, please quote me, so that I can correct my statement and apologize.

You also seem to presume that I dislike Shearwater displays exclusively

You said:

Shearwater computers were not available when I began diving.

[snip]

the newer dive computers have exciting, flashy displays

I inferred that Shearwater computers are one example of the type of computers you were referring to when you said "newer dive computers having exciting, flashy displays."

Was I incorrect?

I inferred that Shearwater computers are one example of the type of computers you were referring to when you said "newer dive computers having exciting, flashy displays."

Was I incorrect?[/QUOTE]

I apologize for not catching your inference...it seemed to me that you were taking my post as an indictment of Shearwater products...I don't really care for any of the active OLED displays that are so prevalent today, but that's just my personal choice.

-----------------------------

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom