New divers and buying equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wanted to add that some dive shops (the ones that I like!) are willing to build a package for you based on what you want or are looking to buy instead of you being stuck with whatever is "pre-set" as a package. Don't be afraid to ask them to do the same for you.

I did this with my shop when I had around low 30's in dives and I'm still using it now (low 100's). Would I buy the same exact things if they were to get stolen/broken today? Probably not, but I don't regret the purchase.

I wanted to add that some dive shops (the ones that I like!) are willing to build a package for you based on what you want or are looking to buy instead of you being stuck with whatever is "pre-set" as a package. Don't be afraid to ask them to do the same for you.

I did this with my shop when I had around low 30's in dives and I'm still using it now (low 100's). Would I buy the same exact things if they were to get stolen/broken today? Probably not, but I don't regret the purchase.

Definitely. And LeisurePro will also let you build a custom package and get a discounted quote for it. When I have done that in the past, the quote was usually 30% or more off of the total of all the individual items. There's a link on their page for building a custom package and submitting it for a quote.

The most expensive piece of gear is the piece you buy twice. I always recommend against "intro" or "beginner" gear packages for this reason. The best advice in this thread is to do your research before you buy your gear. There are credible reasons to choose almost any configuration of a scuba rig, find one that fits the diving you want to do.

Besides a wetsuit I will never regret getting my own regs right away. If possible try to decide what type of diving you will be doing and get a set that will work well for you. Easy breathing makes all the other stuff easier to concentrate on, and you don't need to spend on the latest and greatest to get a set that is in a whole other league than most rental stuff.

Check your local Craigslist to get an idea of the number of scuba packages sold to wide eyed newbies.

Besides a wetsuit I will never regret getting my own regs right away. If possible try to decide what type of diving you will be doing and get a set that will work well for you. Easy breathing makes all the other stuff easier to concentrate on, and you don't need to spend on the latest and greatest to get a set that is in a whole other league than most rental stuff.

I infer that you regret your wetsuit purchase? Why is that?
Think regs are one of those things that you really just have to experience before buying. I did buy some ok regs to start. But until you breathe different regs you just don't know. When I was doing my rescue class my instructor pushed me to do it in a traditional jacket instead of my bpw. Anyway I used the schools bcd and reg set so I didn't have to move mine all around. After breathing off of the rental regs ( mares, don't know which model) I was like holy crap those suck! Sure they worked, but were not that great. Maybe sometimes ignorance is bliss.

I think your gear like fins, boots, wetsuit, divecomputer and obvious your mask/snorkel is something you want to buy as soon as possible. Your bcd/reg and accessoires like smb, lights, knives, compass could easily wait a little but since the price of renting your gear can be pretty expensive at places it might be cheaper overal to buy your bcd/reg as soon as possible too.

No regret just meant those items are the top two pieces of equipment I felt a need to own above all. I guess I was lucky on regs, I found a set that was on my shortlist for a great deal at DRIS exactly at the right time. Being in NE I decided early on that sealed diaphragm regs made the most sense and I don't think I will grow out of the Apeks.

I could have dealt with a crappy BC, or fins that weren't the best, even a suit that wasn't super comfortable but my single most rewarding purchase was getting my own regulators.

As time went on I lurked here and read reviews to get the right stuff the first time and it has largely worked out well. BTW, if my LDS had what I was looking for I always worked with them to make the purchase work for both of us if possible. I like them and would like them to be able to stay in business.

Doing research is key. Scuba gear can add up quickly as most of us know. There comes a point (early) where you should just stop adding up the dollars and cents. You can buy a car for what you can spend on gear and I wouldn't do that without a fair amount of research as well.

For the most part, I went with the recommendation of my LDS. The guys in there are tech divers and know their stuff. I took their recommendations, researched the items heavily online...mainly here on SB.

I mostly dive the waters of the Great Lakes.
I ended up with my first owned kit being: Zeagle Onyx II reg (purchased before OW), Halcyon Carbon Fiber BP/W (I know...expensive...but good and light for my travel), Hollis M1 Mask, Faber HP100 Steel Tank, Perdix AI, some good lights, reel, smb, Z-knife etc.
My only regret, after 30+ dives, are my Sherwood Elite Fins. They're not bad fins but I've been frog kicking a while now and they're not as good for frogging as a real 'Tech Fin'. Next purchase...fins, and soon.

I take good care of things, as I suspect most of us here do, and I expect most of this gear to last me my full, diving, lifetime. I'm starting out at a young 52 so...this gear could last as long as I do. :)

Cheers

Great thread here- I have been lurking for almost a year, and am signing up for my OW class this fall. Scuba has been on my radar since I was a kid ( i have always enjoyed swimming & snorkeling)

I turned 30 this past May and decided this was the year.

Anyways, I have been checking Craigslist every few days for gear, and everything seems very high end or very low end- nothing in between.

There is a shop that offers free OW class and certification with purchase of a scuba gear package. Now, I know that I would end up paying for the class one way or the other, but at least this way I can pick each element to fit me and also have the peace of mind that everything is from the same store, with warranties, and I would be learning on gear that I will dive with. The store also offers free pool time for life, discounts on dive trips they do, and they have a great reputation for 50+ years.

Thoughts? opinions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom