Computers for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also being able to upload my dives instantaneously to my iPhone was pretty cool.

Are you talking about the Perdix there? I do that with my Perdix AI and my Android phone and I agree it's pretty cool. Especially with being able to see my actual gas consumption data, too. It's a lot more convenient than trying to remember to write down my tank starting and ending pressures.

I can understand different viewpoints in regards to this. I have "googled" Cochran computers and found wanting. I have visited the website and found it lackluster. It all seems outdated.
On the other hand I see a man who believes he has an awesome product, stands by it, and lets the product speak for itself. I truly respect that. Although until yesterday I have never heard of Cochran computers. And I researched the s**t out of computers before I bought my second one.
You may very well have a top notch computer. I just haven't heard you say why it is.
Thank you and please email me your info and I will loan you a EMC-20H or EMC-16 with Analyst Pro software and go diving
Safe Diving
John

I just dove (OC 47 dives) my Shearwater PERDIX AI and it's an awesome, fun dive computer but the battery is an issue. My Saft LS 14500 3.6 V lithium-thionyl chloride battery was brand-new, it's reading one bar at 1.5V after 16 days of diving. I dove the NEW Cochran Lifeguard side by side and I started with 3.1 volts on my Wrist Unit, PBAT & SBAT of my CPU and end with 3.0 on all units after 16 days of diving.
On a personal note I liked a lot of the features on both dive computers but I believe the Cochran algorithm is better. Also being able to upload my dives instantaneously to my iPhone was pretty cool.

I will admit the battery life seems lacking according to specs. But it's one AA. I have a bunch of eneloop pros. Changing a battery now and then isn't a big deal.

Have you been doing 2-a-day charters, using bigger tanks (e.g. 100s or 120s), and diving at depths in the 100 - 120 foot range?

Unless you are shockingly bad on your gas consumption, I think you would often be limited by your computer, not gas, in those conditions (which are quite common for some people).

Possibly. That's exactly what I said: not conservative for me so far.

We do week to 10 days trips to Caribbean where Al 80s are a norm and 100-120' depths aren't really as most colourful stuff tends to wanna be closer to sunlight. And it's always EAN21. But again, I have a strong feeling that ending the dives in the shallows has as much to do with it as runtime and max. depth: I seem to get shorter NDLs from more square-ish profiles even on the same tanks and profiles no deeper than usual.

Since the OP seems to have gotten what he was looking for from this thread......
As someone who has legitimately looked at buying a perdix, can you tell me why I should buy a Cochran? What is your sales pitch? Why should I buy your product vs the competition?

Well, according to SB lore, if you have a job to do underwater, and you have a boat that needs to get out of there fast, and has an on-board recompression chamber and enough divers so nobody needs to go down more often than once a week... then USN algorithms are just what you want. Oh wait...

I will admit the battery life seems lacking according to specs. But it's one AA. I have a bunch of eneloop pros. Changing a battery now and then isn't a big deal.
That's correct changing the battery isn't a big deal until you pinch one of the double O-rings and then you have a paperweight
The Cochran Lifeguard is powered by three (3) long life 3 volt lithium batteries. Special power management hardware and software makes the batteries last over 1000 dive hours (with the TacLite set on 10 seconds) EMC-20H & EMC-16 have the same battery life as the Lifeguard.

That's correct changing the battery isn't a big deal until you pinch one of the double O-rings and then you have a paperweight
The Cochran Lifeguard is powered by three (3) long life 3 volt lithium batteries. Special power management hardware and software makes the batteries last over 1000 dive hours (with the TacLite set on 10 seconds) EMC-20H & EMC-16 have the same battery life as the Lifeguard.
I seriously was just looking at the emc 20h. $650 is what I see it going for. It's basic. I really like basic. I also like rugged. Have you stress tested these? I am going to be completely sincere with you. I see a computer with "proprietary" software, potential ruggedness, and good battery life. Is it the algorithm and software that makes this thing so special or what?

I seriously was just looking at the emc 20h. $650 is what I see it going for. It's basic. I really like basic. I also like rugged. Have you stress tested these? I am going to be completely sincere with you. I see a computer with "proprietary" software, potential ruggedness, and good battery life. Is it the algorithm and software that makes this thing so special or what?
$650 is what I see it going for
EMC-20H with Analyst Pro software $600.00 USD
Is it the algorithm and software that makes this thing so special or what
Yes

My offer still stands if you want to dive a 20H. It's late (02:47) here at Naval Station Rota, Spain I will be in Richardson, TX at HQ next week.

Have a great day!
Safe Diving
John

Come visit Cochran Undersea Technology & Cochran Military at Booth 2363 at the DEMA SHOW, Orange County Convention Center Orlando, Florida Nov 1-4, 2017.

Cochran Undersea Technology & Cochran Military designs, manufactures, and markets state-of-the-art diving computers for recreational, technical, CCR and commercial divers from our facility located in Richardson, TX. Cochran has been designing dive computers for itself and others for over twenty five years. Cochran is the exclusive provider to the U.S. Navy and its dive computers are "Authorization for Navy Use (ANU List) Program" and its dive computers are being used by other international Navies and have NATO part numbers.

$650 is what I see it going for
EMC-20H with Analyst Pro software $600.00 USD
Is it the algorithm and software that makes this thing so special or what
Yes

My offer still stands if you want to dive a 20H. It's late (02:47) here at Naval Station Rota, Spain I will be in Richardson, TX at HQ next week.

Have a great day!
Safe Diving
John

Come visit Cochran Undersea Technology & Cochran Military at Booth 2363 at the DEMA SHOW, Orange County Convention Center Orlando, Florida Nov 1-4, 2017.

Cochran Undersea Technology & Cochran Military designs, manufactures, and markets state-of-the-art diving computers for recreational, technical, CCR and commercial divers from our facility located in Richardson, TX. Cochran has been designing dive computers for itself and others for over twenty five years. Cochran is the exclusive provider to the U.S. Navy and its dive computers are "Authorization for Navy Use (ANU List) Program" and its dive computers are being used by other international Navies and have NATO part numbers.

Sent you a pm in regards to this

Is it the algorithm and software that makes this thing so special or what?

I don't remember seeing it in this thread, but I seem to recall seeing it in other threads where it was stated that the Cochran computer you or I can buy does not have the exact same algorithm that the Navy uses.

So, is it more like two computers that have different Gradient Factors settings? Or is it more like two computers where one runs Buhlmann ZHL-16C w/Gradient Factors and the other runs a proprietary algorithm "based on" the Buhlmann algorithm?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom