The Rule of Fun: what do you do when you aren't having any?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was once on a shallow reef "washing machine" dive and began feeling a bit queasy. :vomit: Not much else going on and was about to call the dive when it "came up." (Sorry, TMI, but it's true, link sausage will go through a regulator.) Anyway, I became the life of the "fish party," and everyone enjoyed the rest of the dive, including me. :dork2::)
I can tell you that coffee does not have the same effect (don't ask me how I know)- I think the caffeine scares the fish!

Was once on a shallow reef "washing machine" dive and began feeling a bit queasy. :vomit: Not much else going on and was about to call the dive when it "came up." (Sorry, TMI, but it's true, link sausage will go through a regulator.) Anyway, I became the life of the "fish party," and everyone enjoyed the rest of the dive, including me. :dork2::)

My wife experienced the same with French Toast...

This isn't the first report I've seen where even chunky vomit is handled surprisingly well by regs - but what happens AFTER the dive. Does it go without saying that you get the reg serviced, taken apart, and cleaned? Or does it also clean out surprisingly well and with a good rinse you have no lingering odors?

This isn't the first report I've seen where even chunky vomit is handled surprisingly well by regs - but what happens AFTER the dive. Does it go without saying that you get the reg serviced, taken apart, and cleaned? Or does it also clean out surprisingly well and with a good rinse you have no lingering odors?
Depends on if it was your own reg or a rental. :rofl3:

I mainly dive to see fish & other critters -- that's where the fun is for me.

If I knew beforehand that a there would be no critters on a dive, I would probably not even bother. It wouldn't be fun.

I've been on dives where there was nary a fish or anything else to see, and I started to get bored. But I wouldn't end the dive because I am an optimist, and I hope that something turns up. The critters aren't there, but the quest to see critters is enough to maintain the dive.

Loking back, I have only ended one dive for a non-safety reason. The viz was about 5' feet and there were no critters to be seen. After about 30 minutes of swimming around trying to find fish, I could tell that my buddy was also not really into the dive. So we agree to turn the dive and end it. (Otter Cove, Pacific Grove - I have not had luck at this site, the few dives I've had here have been completely unremarkable & boring)

I've been on dives where there was nary a fish or anything else to see, and I started to get bored. ...

Loking back, I have only ended one dive for a non-safety reason. The viz was about 5' feet and there were no critters to be seen. After about 30 minutes of swimming around ...

For a minute there I thought you were talking about EVERY dive at lake Minnewanka in Banff, AB. Aside from 1/4in snails in the muck bottom, there are (I believe) 3 brown trout which can only be seen on night dives. There is, however, a nice concrete dam just off the causway that's nice to visit if you can find it in the low viz. :-D

I don't necessarily call dives, but if a site entry is just to horrid under certain conditions, then I won't dive there (under those conditions) again. I'm getting too old to do horrible beach entries at super low tide, and I really hate finding and fixing leaks in boots because of the rocks.

Only one dive I ever finished and told my buddies... "That was a waste of air!" There were more golf balls than fish. The only thing that lifted the dive was watching the guys swarming all over the car we found. I have no idea how someone got a car in that far from shore but it was "fresh" The guys checked the boot, got out the jack and tried changing a tire. Someone else was under the bonnet checking things out. Another decided to climb into the driver's seat. Funny how a perfectly ordinary object becomes fascinating under water :facepalm: I have refused invites to that site after finding out my experience on the dive was pretty normal for the site. It also had a rather nasty entry point. Certainly not worth a second dive imho

I can and have spent 30 blissful minutes watching the same fish or cleaning station. I have a reputation as a good spotter and a lot of the fun from diving comes from trying to spot the smallest, most interesting or unusual critters. :giggle: I remember this snarky woman in PNG who made it clear she didn't want to have to put up with diving with us on our first day at the resort. I took delight in watching her face after the dives as the Guides were looking up my finds commenting about how they couldn't believe what i was finding! After a few days she indicated that she wouldn't mind diving with us... I said "Oh no I wouldn't want to impose on you like that!" Sometimes the fun comes after the dive too :)

Last edited:
I can and have spent 30 blissful minutes watching the same fish or cleaning station. I have a reputation as a good spotter and a lot of the fun from diving comes from trying to spot the smallest, most interesting or unusual critters. :giggle: I remember this snarky woman in PNG who made it clear she didn't want to have to put up with diving with us on our first day at the resort. I took delight in watching her face after the dives as the Guides were looking up my finds commenting about how they couldn't believe what i was finding! After a few days she indicated that she wouldn't mind diving with us... I said "Oh no I wouldn't want to impose on you like that!" Sometimes the fun comes after the dive too :)

I guess "come uppence" has nothing to do with decreasing the depth at which you're diving! :) Way to go!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom