Diving after IRMA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ogar615

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
HEY WHAT IS EVERYONES THOUGHT ON DIVING IN nASSAU & fREEPORT

Hello all, What is everyones thoughts on diving in Nassau & Freeport after Hurricaine Irma, we are taking a cruise in late November and were wondering what everyones thoughts were, Thank you...........Peter

It's fine, we just got back, the water has been so flat with amazing viz

It's fine, we just got back, the water has been so flat with amazing viz
Did you do a LOB (and if so, which one) or did you stay in Nassau & dive locally? I am asking because I will be there next month and diving for a day with Stuart Cove and then going for a week on the Aquacat.

HEY WHAT IS EVERYONES THOUGHT ON DIVING IN nASSAU & fREEPORT

Hello all, What is everyones thoughts on diving in Nassau & Freeport after Hurricaine Irma, we are taking a cruise in late November and were wondering what everyones thoughts were, Thank you...........Peter

I have the same question about Freeport conditions. Have you returned from your cruise, and if so what did you find?

Did you do a LOB (and if so, which one) or did you stay in Nassau & dive locally? I am asking because I will be there next month and diving for a day with Stuart Cove and then going for a week on the Aquacat.
Hoag my friend! I did this exact itinerary several years ago!

Tips for SC:
  • If your'e a DAN member and if you sign up for a 2-AM dive, i think they have or used to have a promo where they will give you a free-2 tank afternoon for free. This must be used on the same day and cannot be upgraded for their Shark Dives. I would call them to find out and confirm if this deal still exists.
  • If you're only diving 2 dives for the day, just dive Air if you want to save yourself a few $
  • Ask if you can get Haley Jo Carr or her husband, Richard Carr, they are 2 of the best DMs @SC
  • Bring cash for tip money to DM, and a few bucks for the shuttle driver back to your hotel.
For Aquacat, general Livaboard info applies but if you want more info, PM me. I've done the AC x2 and both times it was quite good.

Hoag my friend! I did this exact itinerary several years ago!

Tips for SC:
  • If your'e a DAN member and if you sign up for a 2-AM dive, i think they have or used to have a promo where they will give you a free-2 tank afternoon for free. This must be used on the same day and cannot be upgraded for their Shark Dives. I would call them to find out and confirm if this deal still exists.
  • If you're only diving 2 dives for the day, just dive Air if you want to save yourself a few $
  • Ask if you can get Haley Jo Carr or her husband, Richard Carr, they are 2 of the best DMs @SC
  • Bring cash for tip money to DM, and a few bucks for the shuttle driver back to your hotel.
For Aquacat, general Livaboard info applies but if you want more info, PM me. I've done the AC x2 and both times it was quite good.
Thanks, but I'm back now. (This (28 Oct -4 Nov) was my 5th trip on the Aquacat.) I was just looking for some up to date info post Irma either near Nassau or down in the Exumas Park. BTW, while there was very little impact from Irma, we were there for and had to avoid the impact of Tropical Storm Phillipe which stirred things up for most of the week.

Thanks, but I'm back now. (This (28 Oct -4 Nov) was my 5th trip on the Aquacat.) I was just looking for some up to date info post Irma either near Nassau or down in the Exumas Park. BTW, while there was very little impact from Irma, we were there for and had to avoid the impact of Tropical Storm Phillipe which stirred things up for most of the week.
WTF I should have checked the date of your post then! Who was your capt on the Cat? Ron or Des? Did you guys feed the pigs at Exuma and go to Iguna Island? Washing Machine dive?

WTF I should have checked the date of your post then! Who was your capt on the Cat? Ron or Des? Did you guys feed the pigs at Exuma and go to Iguna Island? Washing Machine dive?
It was Capt Ron. We didn't feed the pigs. Tropical Storm Phillipe stirred things up so badly that Capt Ron had us bouncing between the Exumas Marine Park & Elethera a couple times during the week in search of clear(er) water. The storm hit Saturday night & instead of staying in port till just before dawn, we headed south shortly after the last guests arrived in an effort to put as much distance between the storm (which was heading north) and us. Because we were always on the move, it really didn't leave us any time for the pigs or for Thunderball grotto. (We did feed the iguanas though.) We did the Washing Machine on the last dive Thursday night. There was a full moon (a "Supermoon") on Friday night, so the tide was ripping through the channel. I have never experienced a ride through it like that before!

It was Capt Ron. We didn't feed the pigs. Tropical Storm Phillipe stirred things up so badly that Capt Ron had us bouncing between the Exumas Marine Park & Elethera a couple times during the week in search of clear(er) water. The storm hit Saturday night & instead of staying in port till just before dawn, we headed south shortly after the last guests arrived in an effort to put as much distance between the storm (which was heading north) and us. Because we were always on the move, it really didn't leave us any time for the pigs or for Thunderball grotto. (We did feed the iguanas though.) We did the Washing Machine on the last dive Thursday night. There was a full moon (a "Supermoon") on Friday night, so the tide was ripping through the channel. I have never experienced a ride through it like that before!
I haven't back to the Bahamas for a few years as I've always had good diving there. But glad you guys escaped the tropical storm. I'm still on the fence about the washing machine dives-I don't like getting disoriented like that. Shark feed dive was the same? Did you enter one of their photo/video contests?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom