A divers house

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
A divers house -
Several days ago my son Dr.Sam IV and I were setting in the living room enjoying the view and the warmth of the California sun when the door bell unexpectedly rang.

I answered the door and much to our surprise it was a young spear fisherman with spear gun in hand who needed advice on rigging his gun. Of course he was invited inside for a visit and help with his "shoot'en iron" (just like John Wayne we are westerners)

He walked a few feet inside the door; his eyes enlarged as he was met by my wife's tastefully executed SCUBA Bell in the foyer and he exclaimed "So this is what a real divers home looks like!"
He followed us up into the living room were even more diving mementos of past dive adventure awaited him as visual diving treats to his eye.. He soon discovered our home is a testimony to my wife and my life time of local and international dive adventures.

It is our home of almost 30 years, and is a combination of a a diving museum, a diving library and equipment storage facility. But it is first an foremost what we like refer it as our comfortable retirement home on a California hill over looking the blue Pacific ocean
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would assume there are a number Scuba board members who also have homes with diver/nautical décor.

@boulderjohn house would be an unique visit possibly painted PADI true blue with a large shrine to John Cronin the founder of PADI

I can imagine @Marie13 home has a rather impressive collection of diving masks as a result of her insentient search for "THE MASK"

I would also expect @TMHeimer with his love of sea shells to have them strewn about in the living room and every bed room, bath room and hall.

It is recognized that underwater/dive related décor may not be appropriate in the soon to be snow bound hinterlands where diving is confined to an occasional summer dip in a quarry or a yearly trip to the tropics, but I suspect there are some homes with nautical /diver décor
How about an invite into your home and share a brief description or even pictures of your nautical/diving décor?
SDM

@boulderjohn house would be an unique visit possibly painted PADI true blue with a large shrine to John Cronin the founder of PADI
Nah.

I've just got a garage with a lot of tanks and a couple of scooters and a basement full of stuff in a seemingly random state of disarray. Right now it is truly scattered because I am trying to amass the right parts for this weekend's trip before I stuff it all into the van and take off. I will end up filling the van and then reviewing what's left to make sure that mess does not contain anything I might need.

Sam... we need pics. Lots of pics. Show us your house. Get Jr to do it or at least help.

So....Mr Miller, what time is the next tour?

Sitting in darkness at the moment, windows boarded up, in my office with multiple sets of newer and vintage regulators on chairs, floor, desk.....

Nah.

I've just got a garage with a lot of tanks and a couple of scooters and a basement full of stuff in a seemingly random state of disarray. Right now it is truly scattered because I am trying to amass the right parts for this weekend's trip before I stuff it all into the van and take off. I will end up filling the van and then reviewing what's left to make sure that mess does not contain anything I might need.
I am almost packed. I have a cargo van that I use almost exclusively for scuba. Here is what is in it so far:

1 300 cubic foot supply bottle of oxygen
2 300 cubic foot supply bottles of ultra-pure helium
An electric booster to enable me to get the most out of those supply bottles
10 scuba cylinders, including doubles, stage bottles, and deco bottles
2 scooters
1 dry suit
Dry suit undergarments
Both single and double wings (complicated weekend coming up)
Both aluminum and steel backplates
Fins
2 masks
2 computers
2 canister lights
4 backup lights
7 regulator sets
Extra hoses just in case
1 tool kit
1 First aid kit
Various and sundry items

In other words, my house is not at all a shrine to diving's past; it is rather a staging ground for diving's present.

Surprisingly my house has little diving or marine life decor except for a number of stuffed fish toys and fish sculptures. My early UW still were too low res to be printed and framed so most of the 50 or so framed pix are of terrestrial critters. I do have a library of marine life field guides from around the world. By necessity my dive gear rests on my deck or in my dive lockers. I guess I need a remodel!

All Merry and I do is dive, talk about diving, write about diving and read about diving. You wouldn't know it if you walked into our house. We have nothing on the walls. No brass nor mementos from dives past. Everything dive related is on our computers and in book shelves. Lots and lots of I.D. books.
We did get a boat together a few years ago. That's another story. Two sets of gear, eight tanks and spares fill every enclosed space. With 6 X 8' of deck space there is barely enough room for three divers. Usually we let Kevin get in the water before we gear up.

Sam Miller...the guy calls himself Scuba Legend, and California - where recreational scuba began. Um, dude- there's a few French guys that would disagree with you. Maybe you've heard of them ?

Back
Top Bottom