• Can't discuss under advisement of my attorney

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Never buy it

Votes: 35 19.4%
  • Polls are for chumps

Votes: 14 7.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Certain posts have been deleted and users blocked from this discussion for attacking the OP and taking this thread off topic. No need for that kind of distraction here. [

If you don't think Warren has a legitimate beef here, just let it go. Stop trying to minimize what he's gone through. He's upset and he has a right to be upset. In all the trips I've taken, I've yet to need any assistance. Hey: I've been lucky but I've learned a lot reading this thread. It's been most valuable. So please... stop trying to make him out to be some sort of freeloader wanting something for nothing.

The problem is now that WE did all the work to get things rebooked after flights are cancelled there is now no longer a loss to claim. The only thing we are out is the 200 for new tickets a more expensive hotel reservation as we now have to fly home on Christmas day and opportunities that were passed on to make the original dates work.

I know it's $200 and the opportunity cost of fighting it is probably not worth your time and effort. At the very least, I would try to call a different operator or claims representative, especially if you are able to outline the specific clause which should have made you eligible for coverage in their coverage handbook's "fine print". If you still do not get anywhere with that and you paid with a credit card, I would call them to do a chargeback for the purchase of your travel insurance. Assuming you do find the specific clause which qualified you as being covered, that would be a good reason to do the chargeback - it's a bait and switch and you did not get the services or coverage that you were promised based on those exact conditions. After all, it's also about principle.

Do you know who the underwriter of the DAN travel insurance is? That's something to keep note of; you won't want to have them underwrite any of your future policies if you are having such difficulty with it now in your time of need.

I'm really sorry to hear that it has been so frustrating. We all obviously buy trip insurance for peace of mind. It's there if we need it but we never hope to use it, as with dive accident insurance. When we do need it, the hope is that they will step up and provide you assistance or cover you based on the terms of their agreement.

I'm still unclear on a specific point.

Did you seek compensation from DAN after the flight was canceled, and were you still denied?

What I have read makes it sound like the initial request for compensation was before the flight was canceled. In which case, I can see where they would have a loophole to not pay. That is - if the only thing that had happened was the boat decided not to go. But, when a flight is canceled due to weather, that is a whole new issue and, at that point, it does seem like it would be covered.

I asked about this earlier and the response was that yes, the flight was canceled, but that response gave no explicit statement that you filed a claim with DAN AFTER the flight was canceled, and were still denied.

I am struggling to believe that DAN trip insurance would not pay a claim if a flight was canceled due to weather.

I can believe that they have legalese creating a loophole that doesn't cover it if your lodging decides not to let you stay because of weather (presuming the lodging is not actually damaged or uninhabitable). It would be a loophole that would screw somebody booked for a liveaboard, but probably wouldn't be an issue if the same trip were booked to stay at a resort instead.

So, did you actually attempt to file a claim AFTER the flight was canceled?

I will be filing a claim for Irma for the costs to rebook another dive trip when its safe! Effectively the DAN folks told me if the plane leaves from Florida, as is the case, to Grand Cayman, then my wife and I need to be on it, regardless what kind of weather you may be flying into!! If the flight is canceled or delayed they will pay for the days while you sit in some motel for the next flight out. Just Great!

The other condition of the plan was is if the destination island declares an emergency evacuation, then you get compensated, which in this case did not happened. I have my doubts about this DAN Travel Insurance, when the agent I called tells me to get to airport and wait it out. I would hope that Dan will be fair and realistic as to my future claim or tell me to read the fine print there guy, oh do have a nice day.

I guess the real insurance plan is to cross your fingers and hope that the plane makes it through rough hurricane weather and then you can sit in your expensive booked motel room until the weather clears, maybe in X number of days.
No Thanks! My trip is blown up, cancelled, I rather be safe than sorry. Dan..... please do the right thing!

Attached is my DAN Annual Travel Policy - APR2017-APR2018 - basic and works for me at a price I am willing to pay.

Not great with a few issues. Not expensive either. I have bought previous DAN annual policies. One claim - they paid about what I thought was due me.

Its inexpensive, more expensive as you buy higher trip, medical coverage, and by age.

Its straightforward if you read the policy - pretty much so - a little dense / confusing in places.

Want more coverage? Buy higher limits from DAN, get a really good Cadillac policy, but be sure to - Read The Policy and pay more money, if you want more goodies.

A few excerpts
  • GENERAL EXCLUSIONS
    • you or your Traveling Companion ... caving, scuba diving below 131 feet (40 meters),
    • or nuclear reaction, radiation or radioactive contamination;
    • Pandemic and/or Epidemic
  • Written Proof of Loss must be sent to us within 90 days after the date the loss occurs
  • In case of loss, theft or damage to Baggage, you must:
    • immediately report the incident to the hotel manager, tour guide or representative, transportation of cial, local police or other local authorities and obtain their written report of your loss;
  • Covered Expenses:
    • Expenses incurred by you for Physician-ordered emergency medical evacuation, including medically appropriate transportation and necessary medical care en route, to the nearest suitable Hospital, when you are critically ill or injured and no suitable local care is available, subject to prior approval by us or our authorized agent;
    • Expenses for the following Physician-ordered medical services: services of legally quali ed Physicians and graduate nurses, charges for Hospital con nement and services, local ambulance services, prescription drugs and medicines, and therapeutic services, incurred by you within one year from the date of your Sickness or Injury during a Trip; and
    • If your arrival on your Trip is delayed beyond your Scheduled Departure Date, or if you are unable to continue the Trip due to one of the unforeseeable Covered Events listed below that occur during your Trip dates to you or your Traveling Companion, we will reimburse you for the unused, non-refundable land or water arrangements prepaid to the Travel Supplier prior to departing on your Trip, less any refunds paid or payable, plus one of the following:
      • a. Additional transportation expenses incurred to reach your scheduled destination if your departure is delayed and you leave after the Scheduled Departure Date and time; or
      • b. Additional transportation expenses incurred for you to reach the nal return destination of your Trip; orc. Additional transportation expenses incurred to rejoin the Trip in progress from the point where you interrupted your Trip.
  • Covered Events:
    • 1. The Sickness, Injury or death of you, your Family Member, your Service Animal or your Traveling Companion. The Sickness or Injury must commence while your Trip Interruption coverage is in effect under the Policy, must require the in- person treatment by a Physician, and must be so disabling in the written opinion of a Physician as to prevent you from taking your Trip (either because your condition prevents your travel, or because your Family Member, Traveling Companion or your Service Animal requires your care);
    • 2. Common Carrier delays and/or cancellations resulting from adverse weather, mechanical breakdown of the aircraft, ship, boat or motor coach that you were scheduled to travel on, or organized labor strikes that affect public transportation

Attachments

• DAN Annual Trip Policy Description of Coverage.pdf
    205.2 KB · Views: 124
I can believe that they have legalese creating a loophole that doesn't cover it if your lodging decides not to let you stay because of weather (presuming the lodging is not actually damaged or uninhabitable). It would be a loophole that would screw somebody booked for a liveaboard, but probably wouldn't be an issue if the same trip were booked to stay at a resort instead.

So, did you actually attempt to file a claim AFTER the flight was canceled?

Also, in the case of a liveaboard that cancels, it seems like you could also claim that it was your transportation (to your destination of dive sites in the Caribbean). If your transportation cancels on you and you are not able to book alternate transportation to your destination, it also seems like DAN travel insurance would have to pay.

Did you try that approach? "My transportation to my destination included a Blackbeard's boat. My transportation canceled (due to weather) and there was no alternative transport available." Does their coverage of transportation have an exclusion for boats? I.e. it only covers air transportation?

Still mystified...

• Covered Events:
    • 1. The Sickness, Injury or death of you, your Family Member, your Service Animal or your Traveling Companion. The Sickness or Injury must commence while your Trip Interruption coverage is in effect under the Policy, must require the in- person treatment by a Physician, and must be so disabling in the written opinion of a Physician as to prevent you from taking your Trip (either because your condition prevents your travel, or because your Family Member, Traveling Companion or your Service Animal requires your care);
    • 2. Common Carrier delays and/or cancellations resulting from adverse weather, mechanical breakdown of the aircraft, ship, boat or motor coach that you were scheduled to travel on, or organized labor strikes that affect public transportation

There you go. So, does DAN not consider a Blackbeard's boat to be a Common Carrier? I'm not sure what the relevant definition of that term is.

So by the time Dan saw this thread and emailed me today two days after all this blew up I had already chased down the new cruise and the new flights so I dont think there is any going after them for the price difference in the flights or the hotel rooms Yes it sucks but I dont have a loss at this point thanks to my carriers working with me.

At least the agent I talked to looked at a livaboard as a host not a common carrier such as an airline even though the boat is a scheduled transport.

There you go. So, does DAN not consider a Blackbeard's boat to be a Common Carrier? I'm not sure what the relevant definition of that term is.

I have an upcoming Caribbean trip, a dog in this fight. And a DAN Annual Policy. I would like to be covered for any interruption / cancellation of the trip. Perhaps, I have some coverage under my policy.

What's a 'common carrier' ?

DAN's Annual Policy says
  • COMMON CARRIER means any land, water or air conveyance, with scheduled and published departure and arrival times, operated under a license for the transportation of passengers for hire, not including taxicabs or rented, leased or privately owned motor vehicles.
Does the liveaboard require a license to transport passengers in the country where it operates or in the US? Well, I suspect the boat must be registered and perhaps the island nation requires registration/licensure to operate as a liveaboard (carrying passengers for hire). Would this do for a claim?
  • Covered Events:
    • Common Carrier delays and/or cancellations resulting from adverse weather, mechanical breakdown of the aircraft, ship, boat or motor coach that you were scheduled to travel on, or organized labor strikes that affect public transportation
How about language construction in US insurance contracts? As a general rule the terms of a contract should be given their plain and ordinary meaning, the primary rule of contract interpretation is to ascertain and give effect to the intent of the parties. Often given greater weight is the plain language of insurance contracts entered into with consumers. Perhaps, under this standard, a liveaboard charging passengers for the trip would result in a common carrier determination, regardless of the licensure issue.

Its not DAN that wrote the insurance, the policy I have and presumably the OP has is UNDERWRITTEN BY GENERALI US BRANCH.

Black's Law, What is A COMMON CARRIER?
  • a transporter that serves all public, follows a schedule, carries specified cargo, and is the carrier of the contract or carriage.
Sounds like a liveaboard to me. What do you think?

This is a state issue - where the insured resides and bought the policy. The first thing to do is submit your claim, after which you will get cash money or an explanation of why not. It would be interesting to receive a detailed written explanation of why Generali would not consider a liveaboard a 'common carrier'.

Not Paid? I would complain to the state insurance commissioner (whatever you state calls it) and see what they will do for you. In Colorado, the insurance division is consumer friendly. Other states, who knows.

I don't see arbitration specified as a remedy in the contract, so does his state allow small claims actions in insurance claim disputes? If so, its likely consumer friendly, split the baby justice, friendly to the claimant.

Most folks won't jump in and out of all the hoops necessary to press a claim.

Wouldn't hurt to call DAN - get an executive on the phone - and bellyache.

Last edited:
I see that this thread has been discussed extensively, and I only read over the first page - so my apologies for offering my views if they're not helpful.
I bought travel insurance thinking if a hurricane caused the trip to be cancelled I could get my money back rather than have to do the rebook shuffle trying to make something work.
My daughter resists taking trip insurance for international trips but I nag enough that she took it when they went to China last year. Then she trusted my granddaughter to keep up with her own passport & visa at train stations, etc. Big mistake. I had tried to warn them about how serious PP protection needs to be, but she ignores me a lot - always has. It took a lot to get the PP replaced, especially with the other parent not traveling with them, but they were only 5 days late returning I think. American Airlines were real jerks about changing the ticket, but since my daughter took the cheaper plan - she couldn't afford that, came home with United. I helped her get the claim organized, my preferred insurance company paid well, and she got to apply the unused portion of the American ticket when she went back this year - both.

It really pays to read the fine print before buying and ensure important risks are covered. I tried to look at those for DAN Travel insurance, but couldn't find them on the sales site. Maybe I didn't look hard enough?

I have no interest in DAN's various insurance products other than dive insurance, and my preferred trip insurance provider does cover cancellations for hurricanes very well - but I am not going to try to sell for them here. There are many things that DAN does well, some others that DAN does poorly, and I do wonder who is making the profits off them using their name to promote other insurance products - but ultimately it is a membership driven company. If enough members ask for trip insurance, they will find and provide it - even if it sucks.

I only have the DAN medical insurance which was a great help when my wife broke her leg on a dive boat two years ago.
Does DAN offer medical insurance, or do you mean dive insurance?

I was towing by old boat years ago and got rear-ended, totalling the boat, engine and trailer. I had been paying for full replacement cost insurance for years, but when it was time to pay up, they started in with all these reasons why it wasn't their problem. After dicking around with them for a week, I finally quietly said that if I didn't have a cheque by end of business the next day, they would hear from my lawyer.
I would have mentioned a lawyer sooner. Glad it still worked. Did they pay well then? I've been carrying collision insurance on my old car too long I think as I pay more each year but I know they'll pay less if it's damaged - like Blue book value less deductible = not much now.

I had heard positives about the coverage people received when injured on trips.
My guess that was for DAN dive insurance. Yep, I carry it even tho I only dive one trip a year now. I also take trip insurance anytime I leave the US, but never from DAN.

Back
Top Bottom