How Often Do You Upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first computer will do nitrox and is air integrated. I still have it and use it sometimes. The only reason I upgraded is that I started using Trimix.

I bought my first dive computer in just before Christmas of 1987. I think that I upgraded my computer(s) when a substantially upgraded model came to the market and had features I wanted/needed and I had the money to buy it. In the late 80's, all of the 90's and most of the 2000's, this meant buying a new "primary" computer every two years or so. The pace of upgrades have slowed down rapidly since the late 2000's due to the slowness in dive computer manufactures bringing out new models that were what I consider to be substantial upgrades from what I have. I am now buying a dive computer that I believe is a gigantic jump in features and usability compared with what I have so far.

Thanks guys. I'm thinking more in terms of dive computers. Technology changes, algorithms change...when is it time. I'm currently using a 10 yr old Oceanic VT Pro. I cannot get any support from Oceanic nor do they upgrade firmware. But it works.
My first computer Suunto Solution 1990, Uwatec 2000, VR3 2006 and Shearwater Petrel 2015

Upgrade? If I treat my dive computer like my phone, I'm going to still own it after its next five successor models have come out. I "upgraded" my dive computer a few years ago only because I had the kind with a tiny screen and wanted a big, bright screen to aid my ageing eyes. The good thing is that some of the newer dive computers are software upgradeable. So it may be possible to take advantage of some advances without buying a new computer.

Upgrade? If I treat my dive computer like my phone, I'm going to still own it after its next five successor models have come out. I "upgraded" my dive computer a few years ago only because I had the kind with a tiny screen and wanted a big, bright screen to aid my ageing eyes. The good thing is that some of the newer dive computers are software upgradeable. So it may be possible to take advantage of some advances without buying a new computer.

That is sooo boring :p

2010 was Cressi Archimede II
2014 upgrade to Petrel I for decompression flexibility

won't be upgrading for the foreseeable future. Shearwater has ability to upgrade deco algorithms via firmware if they need to and there has been no features that I have the burning desire to have that would warrant an upgrade

1991 - Uwatec Aladin Pro
1994 - Uwatec Air-X (only because the Pro was stolen from my house)
1996 - Uwatec Air-X (dead one replaced by importer even though out of warranty)
2000 - Uwatec Air-Z (once again a dead computer, this time replaced at a cut price)
2014 - Heindrichs Weikamp OSTC 2N (only because the cost of battery replacement so high)
2017 - Heindrichs Weikamp OSTC 2 (additional computer)

I still have a Pro that I obtained in about 1995 which my wife and I take on holidays as a backup. Still works perfectly.

I don't think he is getting the response's he was hoping to see... How is he going to show this thread to his wife and get a New computer..

Jim..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom