"Best" Wide angle setup sony a6300

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nathan Wong

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys, i'm kinda stuck on which lens i would like to use to shoot wide angle with. i will be going to Palau in January. I currently have the sony 16-70 in the 7" dome for Nauticam, but i feel as if it isn't as wide as i hoped for when i used it underwater.

I currently have a few lenses in mind:
Sony 10-18 F4
Sony 16 F2.8 with Fish-eye converter or Wide-angle converter
Zeiss Touit 12mm F2.8

Any other lenses out there i should check out?

Thanks!

I have the Sony 10-18 f4 and I really like it. I have not shot it underwater yet, but I have a trip coming up next month on a LOB, so it will get a pretty good workout then. I don't plan on getting the zoom ring for it, I will just set it at 10mm and shoot. If I need to crop in Lightroom after the trip then I will. One advantage that it has over the other two lenses you list is that it is fully compatible with the 7 inch dome that you already have.

As for the 16mm, I have not used one, but I have not heard many good things about it other than its size. It seems to be very hit or miss as to how good the focus is with most of them being pretty soft, especially along the edges and in the corners.

I love Zeiss optics. If cost is no factor and you have the room to pack another dome port and extension, then I don't think that you could go wrong with this lens. Keep in mind though that it will not fit in your 7 inch dome (it is too wide) and you will need the N85-N120 adapter and then the 180mm Dome port. This will add significantly to both the cost of your set up and the size of what you need to pack.

Very few things in life are "perfect". I think, however that given the options that you list, I would go with the Sony 10-18mm f4. I really like it above the surface, it has the Sony OSS system, and it uses the same dome port as your 16-70mm lens. It may not be perfect, but I think it would easily be your "98% solution".

I have the Sony 10-18 f4 and I really like it. I have not shot it underwater yet, but I have a trip coming up next month on a LOB, so it will get a pretty good workout then. I don't plan on getting the zoom ring for it, I will just set it at 10mm and shoot. If I need to crop in Lightroom after the trip then I will. One advantage that it has over the other two lenses you list is that it is fully compatible with the 7 inch dome that you already have.

As for the 16mm, I have not used one, but I have not heard many good things about it other than its size. It seems to be very hit or miss as to how good the focus is with most of them being pretty soft, especially along the edges and in the corners.

I love Zeiss optics. If cost is no factor and you have the room to pack another dome port and extension, then I don't think that you could go wrong with this lens. Keep in mind though that it will not fit in your 7 inch dome (it is too wide) and you will need the N85-N120 adapter and then the 180mm Dome port. This will add significantly to both the cost of your set up and the size of what you need to pack.

Very few things in life are "perfect". I think, however that given the options that you list, I would go with the Sony 10-18mm f4. I really like it above the surface, it has the Sony OSS system, and it uses the same dome port as your 16-70mm lens. It may not be perfect, but I think it would easily be your "98% solution".

Thanks for your input, i appreciate it.

I hope your trip will go well!

The 10-18 is s fun lens and widely supported by housing makers. Avoid the long half of the zoom range and try to shoot it from ~f5.6-f8.

The 16 is not a very good lens and won't do the a6300 sensor justice. The 12 is not widely supported, but I expect the optics are good (no personal experience).

I use a Nex 5n, with Sony 16mm and either the Ultra Wide or Fish Eye adaptor in the Nauticam 4.33 dome. I am very much an amateur photographer and I am happy with the results. I tried uploading some RAW images so there is no camera processing but cant do that, so I have created a share linked below. The photos are about 16MB so it can take a few seconds for them to sharpen up. I use a point focus.
I would be keen to see other peoples results with different lenses always looking for improvement :)

https://1drv.ms/a/s!Ao-7OYx97aiXhfhcHC7rgm2nfcJFrA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom