Rubber or braided hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a mix.. rubber on the bc and SPG and Braided on the regulators.. I like the lack of pull on my mouth... I also have full dentures... I just go with a 2 year and replace on them.. I think it is worth the money for the comfort...

Jim....

Wondering about piranha ultraflexible rubber hose UltraFlex Low Pressure Hose 26

UltraFlex Low Pressure Hose 26" Inches "Black"
  • This is the most flexible hose you have ever seen / used! No more fighting with your stiffer rubber hoses with these ultraflex hoses!!
  • Get ready for the latest hose to hit the market! Our New Ultraflex hose acts like a braided hose but is made in a super soft rubber compound that allows you to tie this hose in a knot and still breath easy thru it!
  • Unique technology allows our hose to be tied in a knot or bent for tight fitting applications!
  • Great for divers that want an ultra flexible hose at a superior price! This hose reduced your overall weight from standard rubber hoses and works the same as a braided hose but does not have that abrasion of a braided hose
  • This hose is very durable and super flexible
  • Our Low Pressure hoses have a 3/8 fitting to fit your first stage and 9/16 fitting to connect your regulator!
  • Max working pressure 1250 psi
  • Bursting pressure 5000 psi meets SGS bursting tests
  • Color of hose is BLACK

Wondering about piranha ultraflexible rubber hose UltraFlex Low Pressure Hose 26
I'm using one on my primary to replace a braided hose. I like it, soft, very flexible, lightweight, good price. My understanding is that it's a two piece hose, all rubber but one hose inside another. That explains the suppleness but does raise the issue of being unable to physically inspect the inner hose that carries the air. However, I trust Piranha and will continue to use these hoses.

So now I'm using a mix of rubber (DS, wing, SPG), braided (octo), and UltraFlex (primary) on the same reg.

@StephaneD the ultraflex use the same inner core as the braided hoses and are subject to the same deterioration. Advantage over the braided is they won't pull neck hair or abrade suits/seals

@StephaneD the ultraflex use the same inner core as the braided hoses and are subject to the same deterioration. Advantage over the braided is they won't pull neck hair or abrade suits/seals

Do the Ultraflex hoses have a Polyester-TPU or Polyether-TPU core? The DAN article seems to point the finger at the polyester core hoses. (Given the fact I was a young adult in the 70ies, it does not surprise me :) ) I too have purchased a few of the Ultraflex hoses and find them comfortable to dive. Regardless of the DAN article, what is your opinion of the polyether material?

my understanding is PET on those

the goodyear/gates hoses use Buna-N/Nitrile for their hose lining, I prefer to buy those. Those hoses will have "made in USA" marked on them and should have Gates or Goodyear on them.

How to check inner lining material?

The point being; with rubber hoses you don't need to. Immediately when the inner lining is first compromised, you'll see bulging on external inspection.

With nylon braided, especially the higher quality 3-layer ones, the degredation is effectively concealed. The inner lining can decay catastrophically with little, or no, external sign. This can reach a point where air passage through the hose is very compromised... but may not be revealed until you've descending to a higher air density.

That's precisely what happened in the report I authored ( Nylon-Braided Regulator Hose Diving Emergency) that initiated a lot of disccusion (and the DAN investigation) into these hoses.

my understanding is PET on those

Sorry tbone,

Talk slowly. Is PET Polyester-TPU or Polyether-TPU? While I agree that purchasing Nitrile core hoses in the future is probably the way to go, I don't want to discard new hoses if they are safe.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom