Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CPrincess

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was recently reading an article about tipping in general, specifically how in the US it is normal, whereas other countries it is not. It got me thinking about tipping in scuba and the related services of traveling.

The only thing that springs to my mind of anecdotes is while leaving Jamaica I grabbed a takeout meal from a restaurant at the airport. The person who took the order made a comment to "make sure I left a tip" on the receipt when I paid. To me, the tip was for the wait staff and busboys after the meal was served and not when I just got takeout so I kinda felt like they were squeezing every penny out of tourists that they could! And of course I left a tip mainly because I didn't want someone to spit in my meal while they were making it!

What is your experience with traveling abroad? Is the percentage about the same to the boat crews? Does housekeeping expect it? Do some countries expect more/less? For hotels with dive shop and shore diving, do you tip at the end of your stay or daily? Is it ever frowned on to tip the crew in some countries?

At any all inclusive, I will leave a buck or two on the table after each meal. For maids, I generally leave 2 bucks per day each morning on the bed. For dive staff, I generally tip 10 to 20 bucks per 2-tank dive trip, depending on the level of service provided. Dive shop support staff also generally get a tip at the end of the trip. All this is irrespective of where I happen to be traveling.

Tipping is not normally done or expected in New Zealand. I've never seen anyone tip on a dive boat here and the service is amazing. Some of the nicer restaurants have a "tipping optional" policy now.

For a liveaboard, the standard gratuity is 10% of the boat fee. The captain, in my experience, either collects all tips and distributes amongst his crew or appoints someone to do it. I have never been on a liveaboard and the crew not earned at least 10% from us. I figure if I can afford that, I shouldn't go.

Single day charters, it depends - for a two tanker, it could be 10 or more per, depending on level of service (or lack of), cost per person, etc etc... I made the mistake once of mentioning what I have tipped in the past, and won't make that mistake here -- I never imagined being a generous tipper would be so hated by some of the people on SB (read: cheapskates).

We live part-time on Bali. Historically, tipping is not expected there. There are many tourists from all over the world, so I imagine that most people bring their habits from whence they came. Whatever tips I have left seem gratefully received, often with a "Gee thank you, I didn't really expect a tip" attitude. I bet some staff have realized that Americans tip more, so they want to serve more Americans. Not good.

On Indo LOBs and dive resorts, tips are actively encouraged by, for example, statements by the management or the presence of a tip box. (I usually tip less than what is asked, if only because I have already paid HUGE bucks and now they want more? Sheesh. I am not going to pay 10% of the LOB fee as a tip, sorry!) But at least it is said to be going to those doing the work (usually local staff) and we often tip them directly.

Long story short: when outside of the US, I tip a minimal amount, but more when service has been personal in nature, and/or over the top. In the US, one must tip quite a bit because now there are laws that businesses can pay their staff less than minimum wage in the expectation they will receive tips. I sure hope this practice doesn't spread to other parts of the world, but I am sure it will.

- Bill

I research each destination individually to see what the tipping practice is there. And I don't mean read what some guidebook or biased source says--I mean read what people who live and dive there have to say about it. As you can see from some of the responses, there are places in the world where tipping is an alien practice brought in mainly by American visitors. Nevertheless, if I'm somewhere frequented by Americans to the extent that tipping is now firmly entrenched in the dive or hospitality industry culture, I tip. Often it's a smaller percentage than the standard American-sized tip, such as 10%. The bottom line is that how I tip depends on where I am in the world.

Bill, I really did tip 10% on my Indo liveaboard. I THINK most other guests did, too, though I have no way of knowing the amount. It seemed everyone did leave something in the provided envelope, though.

$10 a tank

In Denmark, where I am a diving instructor, I have never given or received a tip in relation to diving, ever.

Comments like "$10 a tank" are specific to some local practice somewhere in the world. Presumably USA, in which case the currency is probably US dollars? No way to be sure.

There is no general rule which will serve you everywhere in the world. I would follow Lorenzoid's advice above and research each individual destination before you go.

For LOB I do 10-12% of the total fee for the week. For resort dives I tip 10.00 a day for the Captain and 20.00 a day for the DM/Guide. At meals I usually tip as well, though the amount varies based on the service (buffet vs "regular")

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom