Triathlon Athlete=Air Hog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you ever noticed that a lot of dive guides with really good gas consumption never have cameras with them?

It's hard to have good gas consumption when your finning up current or trying to maneuver yourself in just the right position. I seem to get 0.2 - 0.4 cf/min better not carrying a camera. Did one dive mostly upside down and back kicking while filming a squid hunting at night. Sac was probably over 1.5.

I woul like to find a cure for lower consumption, but still keep the camera.

I agree. With me it's because I exhale or inhale when I otherwise wouldn't to get in better position for the shot. The only time it didn't effect my air consumption was on the Manta Dive in Kona....sitting on the bottom for 50 minutes. LOL.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Have you ever noticed that a lot of dive guides with really good gas consumption never have cameras with them?

It's hard to have good gas consumption when your finning up current or trying to maneuver yourself in just the right position. I seem to get 0.2 - 0.4 cf/min better not carrying a camera

+1. Also, in a group you hang back framing the shot, then you put on a burst of speed to catch up, rinse, lather, repeat...

It's hard to have good gas consumption when your finning up current or trying to maneuver yourself in just the right position. I seem to get 0.2 - 0.4 cf/min better not carrying a camera. Did one dive mostly upside down and back kicking while filming a squid hunting at night. Sac was probably over 1.5.

Love that video, thanks for sharing - it does make me feel kinda sorry for the little dude tho. All these mysterious creatures with bright lights descending from above, following it wherever it goes... we'd think it was an alien abduction. It doesn't know that it's not being hunted, at least not at first. They are pretty smart though, I bet they figure out the divers are no threat pretty quickly. At least I hope they do. Not trying to crap all over your video, I really do like it, and no doubt I'd do the same, just sharing some thoughts that all. :)

Yep, Sometimes diving with a guide sucks. Every time I stop to look at something or shoot a photo or video, I have to then chase after the guide or be left behind. Uses up allot of air chasing the guide.

Most new divers struggle with the same issue you describe and are nowhere near as fit as you are. This should tell you that they are facing the same challenges. Lead, breathing at the top of their lungs, leading to extra weight, and not being relaxed in the water, completely non-economical movement in the water, the list is long.

Now, IMHO the part you are not considering is that as both you and a fatty improve your scuba skills your ceiling is a great deal higher than theirs. Fitness and body fat aside, your challenge may be your size, but I do think you will have an edge eventually. (though it isnt a competition)

Time in the water and becoming comfortable will improve your air consumption, and typically in very short time. There isnt anything wrong with using larger tanks while you do this. I did, and in doing so, increasing my dive time, allowed me to spend the time in the water that I needed.

You may have to buy if renting large tanks isnt an option. Just dont be surprised that you eventually plateau with the weight of the tank, and find that you can go down to an 80 or 100 and have plenty of air and dive time.

When I started diving, I ended up switching to steel 100's to stay in with my buddy. I was still at 45-50 minutes, but was at 35 or so with an 80. (I was really overweight and carrying alot of lead) I lost weight, lost lead, and completed alot of dives in a short time frame. Now Im back to an 80, run a typical rec dive profile (max 90 to 100) and get on the boat at 65 minutes with 1200 psi in the tank. While your body isnt going to change as much as mine did you are going to see improvement.

All this to say... having a large tank to keep you in the water for now is a good approach. It worked for me, let me get more minutes. As much as I am not a fan of throwing equipment at a problem, I think its a good idea. Just be willing to revisit it later as you notice that you are getting out of the water with more and more gas in the tank.

Hey, I want to Thank everyone . The comments and Advise are awesome I have gained alot of good info. And I will definitely make the best of it.

...I lost weight, lost lead, and completed alot of dives in a short time frame. Now Im back to an 80, run a typical rec dive profile (max 90 to 100) and get on the boat at 65 minutes with 1200 psi in the tank. While your body isnt going to change as much as mine did you are going to see improvement...

1800 psi from an AL80 at avg 60 ft for 65 minutes is an RMV of 0.26 cf/min, very low

1800 psi from an AL80 at avg 60 ft for 65 minutes is an RMV of 0.26 cf/min, very low

I havent downloaded my dives from my last trip yet but I suspect my average depth is going to be closer to 50', and it was pretty rare that I started right at 3000, usually 31-3200. My air consumption was even more improved this trip than it was in June and light years improved over where I started.

Hey Brian I have some words of encouragement for you.

It is possible to be a big guy and get a down to decent SAC as I am 6'3" 350lbs.

For me it was about realizing that I was flailing and kicking without knowing it. A much better diver than I was took a video of me and watched it with me right after the dive to help point out some pretty bad flaws in my diving. Then I did a metric butt ton of diving and it got easier and the air consumption went way down.

The difference shows up pretty starkly on the logs.

Al80,start pressure 3100psi and ended with 1200psi for an average SAC of just over 1.0
enX9y5x.png

230 dives later I did this one on the same AL80 start pressure 2900psi and ending 650psi for a SAC of 0.48
(slung a 30cf pony for redundancy but didn't use it)

1WNmMx7.png

I havent downloaded my dives from my last trip yet but I suspect my average depth is going to be closer to 50', and it was pretty rare that I started right at 3000, usually 31-3200. My air consumption was even more improved this trip than it was in June and light years improved over where I started.
O.32 cf/min is not so bad either

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom