Best Latin American/ Caribbean Spot for January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pat Sharman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Bit of a broad question for this forum, but there doesn't seem to be a "Latin America" forum here...

Some friends and I will be celebrating a friend's birthday in Mexico in January. We'll be at a resort for a week, and some of us are looking to break off after that and go do some diving. What's the best spot around that time of year in Mexico, the Caribbean, Central America, or the northern part of South America?

I've already been to Cozumel and the Corn Islands, and am looking to dive somewhere new with a guide, in warm water, and with lots of sea life!

Any tips much appreciated.

Last edited:
Utila, Roatan, Belize are all good. Caribbean side. Warm water, good visibility.

Costa Rica (on the Pacific side) has a chance for bigger animals. But colder and vis not as good.

In Panama on the Pacific side there is a marine park called Coiba, which is supposed to be quite good.

Based on what you have said, I would strongly consider Belize or the Bay Islands of Honduras (Roatan, Utila, Guanaja). From what part of Mexico will you be traveling from after the birthday gathering? That may have some bearing on your dive destination. Grand Cayman or Cuba might also be considerations.

Based on what you have said, I would strongly consider Belize or the Bay Islands of Honduras (Roatan, Utila, Guanaja). From what part of Mexico will you be traveling from after the birthday gathering? That may have some bearing on your dive destination. Grand Cayman or Cuba might also be considerations.

We will be in Playa Del Carmen. I'm toying with the idea of Turks and/or the Bahamas from there instead, but the aftermath of these hurricanes has me worried...

We will be in Playa Del Carmen. I'm toying with the idea of Turks and/or the Bahamas from there instead, but the aftermath of these hurricanes has me worried...

That would have me concerned as well. There are direct flights to Belize City and Havana, Cuba from Cancun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom