Keys Dive Operations Post-Irma: Who will be opening, and when?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Wookie

Yeah, I'm shocked, too, about the folks clamoring for dive op, hotel, and reef info when the Keys are in chaos.

I was thinking of a Key Largo trip this winter, but with Irma happening, I've nixed that and won't go south this winter. Another year.

@Wookie

Yeah, I'm shocked, too, about the folks clamoring for dive op, hotel, and reef info when the Keys are in chaos.

I was thinking of a Key Largo trip this winter, but with Irma happening, I've nixed that and won't go south this winter. Another year.

I don't think that people who are clamoring for dive information are clueless to the situation...the Dive Operators who are physically on site in Key Largo are posting on Facebook and other Social Media that they will be ready. Look at the direct statement from Ocean Divers in Key Largo below (Bold is added by me). So don't be shocked that people are asking about when they can go diving when the folks on the ground in Key Largo are encouraging them to come soon. The description of how things are starting to get back to normal is not a description of "chaos".

I think most are aware that the situation farther south is much different, but when a major dive operator says they will be ready to run trips on Monday and they expect upper Keys visitors to be allowed soon, why are you shocked that people are ready to go?

Rainbow Reef is setting the expectation that they hope to be ready for guests some time later next week.

"We've recieved several messages regarding future bookings scheduled for October, November and December. We would like to let you know that Ocean Divers will be ready to run trips as soon as Monday. Key Largo still isnt letting visitors on island but that should change as our infrastucture is back up. We currently have power back to almost 80% of the island and short of a few missing trees, life is starting to get back to normal. Sharkeys is even open. Heres a pic of OD crew washing down the boats to resume diving operations. We cant wait to see you all VERY SOON.

Last edited:
I know you don't understand that there is no cell or internet past Key Largo. I get that. I get that you all think we're a bunch of pussies that can't get our sh!t squared away, and if we'd just service our adoring clients, everything would magically get better.
Frank...I don't think that way at all! Not why I started this thread! You have a right to be upset, and thanks for adding to the thread some very good info...from a resident, not a media clown.

You might want to pay closer attention to the news channels and reports showing video clips of the FHP not even letting the residents back into the Keys. Lots of upset residents from what I saw on the reports, but keeping people out of the Keys is best for their own safety, as well as the responders that are trying their best to make the infrastructure functional. The last thing they need right now is a bunch of divers saying "Hey, let me in, I have a dive vacation scheduled."
I have seen a ton of this, trust me, and won't bother listing the numerous links of media reports with embedded advertisements like...Tensions flare at checkpoint as Florida Keys residents pine to go home.

Interesting that a Facebook group has been started by residents to pass out daily information from City officials like the Marathon Manager. Some have said they do have limited cell service...

FL Keys Resident Irma Communication

I do not expect miracles to happen. Remember, this thread was started with good intentions and I was hoping business owners would eventually be announcing good news and so far one has (Rainbow Reef). The reality is that some businesses will rebound faster than others, so why not know about them as they emerge from a disaster?

And BTW, I also monitor the following official website...Keys Recovery – Monroe County Emergency Management

But they don't list (as far as I can tell) dive related businesses that are re-opening after the disaster. They had reported today:

GROCERY STORES
The Winn-Dixie and Publix grocery stores are open in Key Largo with limited hours.

PHARMACY

The CVS Pharmacy in Key Largo opened Wednesday.

Last edited:
Frank...I don't think that way at all! Not why I started this thread! You have a right to be upset, and thanks for adding to the thread some very good info...from a resident, not a media clown.
I know you don't, Doc, and I'm sorry for going off. Long day in a car yesterday. I hope y'all get what you want, and I hope Rainbow Reef and Ocean Diver's Direct get plenty of folks. Of course the folks are right, the sooner we get things back to normal, the better off we'll be. The County just isn't letting folks in right now. The dive operators aren't helping by saying "well, we're ready", because they are ready doesn't mean that there is infrastructure to support them. I was told by someone yesterday, I don't remember the source, that Largo Canal was silted in and only a couple of feet deep. Hard to get dive boats around crash corner in a couple of feet of water.

I know you don't, Doc, and I'm sorry for going off. Long day in a car yesterday.
No problem Frank. Stress make us do funny things, LOL.
The County just isn't letting folks in right now.
In reading some residents Facebook posts, I wonder what the real motivation is for the bureaucrats to keep the residents out? Something to hide? The following post is from a resident who seems to know what he is talking about.
https://www.facebook.com/mvstazzone?fref=search
Instead of outsiders being paid by FEMA, why not pay the residents?? Duh.

Something to hide?
Just a conspiracy theory to me.

Access into and out of the Keys is by only one road. One. That's it. Every bottle of water. Every candy bar. Every gallon of gas comes over that single road. Right now we have a lot of additional people in the Keys helping with the clean up, guarding the area and keeping everyone healthy. The population before the storm was at a tipping point so it's probably over that point now. This is especially true in light of the fractured infrastructure.

I can't tell you how fortunate I feel for having left the Keys a month ago yesterday. What was left of the storm passed right over me and I didn't even lose a shingle. I lost a few days here in transit getting out of the way of it, but other than that I've spent the last week building: not rebuilding. In a few respects, I feel I have abandoned my friends in the Keys, but mostly I feel fortunate. The Keys will rebuild. It will be nicer than before and probably even more expensive. I'll never forget where I left my Keys and I'll be sure to visit them from time to time.

Pete: did you leave the Keys permanently?? or just on an extended vacation somewhere else??

I felt a little guilty on the weekend when I was breathing a sigh of relief from my home in the northern 'burbs of Atlanta. I left the Jupiter area permanently last year and was lucky enough not to encounter a major storm for the 9 years I lived in South Florida this time around (it was my second time living is south Florida).

A few years ago I chatted about Hurricane Wilma with the team at Scuba Club in WPB. They indicated that diving did not really get back to normal in that area for a month and half or so. All of the the fresh water that water authority was letting out of the canals and Lake O. kept things murky even though the Gulf Stream runs very close to shore there. That combination of events and geography might be different than what the Keys will experience since the reefs in Palm Beach County are pretty close to shore and a lot of the big canals dump excess fresh water into the intracoastal which then flows directly out of the Lake Worth and Jupiter inlets.

In reading some residents Facebook posts, I wonder what the real motivation is for the bureaucrats to keep the residents out? Something to hide? The following post is from a resident who seems to know what he is talking about.
https://www.facebook.com/mvstazzone?fref=search
Instead of outsiders being paid by FEMA, why not pay the residents?? Duh.
I have no idea if his theory is true, but he is absolutely correct about downstairs enclosures, and if you have a house with one, and it is illegal, you cannot sell it.

Pete: did you leave the Keys permanently??
I'm outa there. Caves are more my thing: https://www.scubaboard.com/community/posts/8077251/
but he is absolutely correct about downstairs enclosures,
When people don't like something, they look for nefarious intent to justify their rage. Storm surges are real. If your house is in a storm surge area, then keeping a downstairs dwelling is your gamble. I don't blame the state for not wanting to repair illegal housing.

Why would any tourist want to be here in the near future.
Some parts no power,sewer internet or cable.
Debris all over the place and it stinks to high heaven.
The water is filled with floating and sunken debris.
I cant wait to book this trip, rant off

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom