I can't help but notice....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

are you comparing a maniacal narco murderer with the dive industry?

Maybe, but mostly I am lampooning your comparing it with McDonalds. Providing a service which the customer is prepared to pay for? Damn the consequences? Given half this thread was about the lack of fitness and the consequences of a poor diet I did wonder if your McDonalds reference was humorous. Apparently not.

Humor for sure...but not with narcos.

There are probably a lot of misconceptions about weight, how we gain it, and how we manage it. In fact, most of what we "know" about health in general is questionable.

I'm posting some information below that I find interesting, and may be helpful to some. I'm not saying that it's true, only that it's food for thought. (pun intended...)

First up, from Forbes.com:
A Lot Of What We Think We Know About Nutrition Is Wrong, According To This Stanford Doc
"The long standing advice to avoid saturated fats and eat more carbs is wrong."
"Salt in our diets/food is not bad for most of us."
"It’s also not true that fresh fruits and vegetables are healthier for us than frozen."

From Healthline.com:
Top 13 Nutrition Lies That Made The World Sick and Fat
1. Eggs Are Bad For Your Health
2. A Calorie is a Calorie
3. Saturated Fat is Unhealthy
4. Eating a Lot of Protein is Bad For Your Health
5. Everyone Should be Eating "Heart-Healthy" Whole Wheat
6. Coffee is Bad For You
7. Meat is Bad For You
8. The Healthiest Diet is a Low-Fat, High-Carb Diet
9. Refined Seed- and Vegetable Oils Are Healthy
10. Low-Carb Diets Are Ineffective and Downright Harmful
11. Everyone Should be Cutting Back on Sodium
12. Sugar is Bad Because it Contains "Empty" Calories
13. Fat Makes You Fat

Lastly, a very interesting YouTube channel with a lot of scientific data, but presented for laypeople:
What I Learned Channel
And a few relevant videos from What I Learned:

From Healthline.com:
Top 13 Nutrition Lies That Made The World Sick and Fat
1. Eggs Are Bad For Your Health
2. A Calorie is a Calorie
3. Saturated Fat is Unhealthy
4. Eating a Lot of Protein is Bad For Your Health
5. Everyone Should be Eating "Heart-Healthy" Whole Wheat
6. Coffee is Bad For You
7. Meat is Bad For You
8. The Healthiest Diet is a Low-Fat, High-Carb Diet
9. Refined Seed- and Vegetable Oils Are Healthy
10. Low-Carb Diets Are Ineffective and Downright Harmful
11. Everyone Should be Cutting Back on Sodium
12. Sugar is Bad Because it Contains "Empty" Calories
13. Fat Makes You Fat

I'll add

14. Margarine is good for you and butter is bad.

(Bushwah)

I'll add

14. Margarine is good for you and butter is bad.

(Bushwah)

Actually the cheap stuff is made from palm kernel oil that's full of saturated goodness and therefore fits right in with "saturated fat is healthy and good for you". It's the ones made from unhealthy refined vegetable oils that we must avoid. :popcorn:

Actually the cheap stuff is made from palm kernel oil that's full of saturated goodness and therefore fits right in with "saturated fat is healthy and good for you". It's the ones made from unhealthy refined vegetable oils that we must avoid. :popcorn:

I like butter much better. Also, I'm approaching 71 so what I eat makes little difference at this point. Time is short and there is little that bacon and 5 Guys burgers & fries can do to me - although I seldom indulge.

An observation - all my relatives & grandparents on both sides came from the "old country". Either directly or 1st generation. As such they cooked with prodigious amounts of lard, bacon fat, etc. Lots of meat and potatoes. All lived into their 90's - except the ones with sit down jobs who died young. The long lived ones all worked in the steel mills around Pittsburgh. Heavy, strenuous work. And they kept working till they dropped - after retiring they busted butt around their home. My grandfather at 89 was on the very steep roof of his 3 floor home repairing the chimney. My take - it's stitting on your butt that kills you - not food.

In the "old country" the doctors still tell people to chew on a small piece of bacon fat every day. Apparently there are some essential fats that you can't get any other way, not even from butter.

Maybe, but mostly I am lampooning your comparing it with McDonalds. Providing a service which the customer is prepared to pay for? Damn the consequences? Given half this thread was about the lack of fitness and the consequences of a poor diet I did wonder if your McDonalds reference was humorous. Apparently not.

@KenGordon My dive trips involve research. That means my disposable income goes only to dive operators who are committed to the environment and support the local people. I am proud that my love of scuba has supported education of the the locals about conservation.

Siladen Resort for instance pays a finders fee to locals who advise them of turtle nests. They pay an additional amount when the nest hatches out. While I was there I read a book the Resort staff had written about the life cycles of turtles and why it is harmful to keep hatchlings as pets.. until they get older. The book had lovely pictures and was written in both Indonesian and English providing a comparison to aid learning English. That means more turtles make it to the ocean. They also provide garbage disposal for the local village to reduce pollution. The resort provides employment to close to 80% of the village. By the way I do not and never have worked for or had a financial interest in Siladen Resport. I just believe that they are making a positive difference to the environment and the locals that deserves recognition.

Lembeh Resort and Critters at Lembeh are also doing similar things. If we shop around and are aware.. we CAN make a difference. Not all divers or dive operators are trashing the environment. If I am incorrect on any of this @ScubAn@ please feel free to correct me.

When I dive locally I make a point of collecting rubbish. I take the time to show pics from the dive to the families I meet as we exit to help them appreciate what lies below. I have done presentations to promote awareness and conservation. We can all make contributions to the marine environment that far exceed what damage we do to it. I know not everyone does.. but we can encourage others to do so by setting an example and supporting those who do!

Back
Top Bottom