Prices per dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meivi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good evening.

Im trying to do some better calculations on prices per dive to different depths, mixes and oc/ccr and so on.

Would you please help me with some information.

1. Gas mix
2. How many bottles and what bottles with each gas
3. Bottom depth and time
4. OC/CCR
5. If you are comfortable: Price for gases.
6. Approx RMV bottom/deco

Ty.
Live long and prosper.

I am trying to estimate the length of the response necessary to give a complete answer. ScubaBoard has a limit on the number of characters per post, but I am not sure what that limit is. Consequently, I am not sure how many posts it will take.

Seriously, there is tremendous variation, depending upon many factors. Take the price of helium alone. I know places in the U.S. that charge $2.50 per cubic foot. When I bring it on dive trips, I typically charge my fellow divers/students $0.90 per cubic foot. Depending upon how much I have left over and have to return to the store, I hope I can break even.

Here is another variable--how do you get your tanks filled with the mix? When I am in South Florida, I take my tanks to the local shop, tell them what I want, leave, and then pick them up when I come back to them to do the dive. When I am here in Colorado and New Mexico, I go to the gas store and pick up as many helium and oxygen supply bottles as I think I will need for me and others. I go back to my house and put the desired amounts in my tanks. IN order to do that, I have to use the booster I bought (about $6000) and the other gear I bought (fill whip, trimix analyzer, gauges, etc.)--close to another $2,000), because the local shops don't have any of that. I then go to the local shop to have the tanks filled up. Then I drive 6+ hours to the dive site, where I meet the other divers and use my equipment to fill their tanks from the supply bottles I bring with me in the van I bought for this purpose. I am not sure how to calculate all of that cost in both money and time.

But you did excellent in answering nothing at all o_O..
It doenst have to be an exact calculation, but close to. What if u just narrow it down to: If u were to just fill your bottles for one dive. And get the bottles filled like "normal" ppl. What would that cost you?
Its not really that hard, you just wanted to make it more difficult wich didnt help at all and just made you post completly unessecary.

But hey maybe this was just a stupid idea of trying to do something fun for myself, what do i know.

But you did excellent in answering nothing at all o_O..
It doenst have to be an exact calculation, but close to. What if u just narrow it down to: If u were to just fill your bottles for one dive. And get the bottles filled like "normal" ppl. What would that cost you?
Its not really that hard, you just wanted to make it more difficult wich didnt help at all and just made you post completly unessecary.

But hey maybe this was just a stupid idea of trying to do something fun for myself, what do i know.
Actually, I thought I was being helpful, but since you decided to respond with insult, I think I will just walk away from this thread. Sorry I tried to help. I won't make that mistake again.

As already mentioned, what you are asking has too many variables to be calculated in a useful way and would take an extraordinary amount of time to type out. There are great dive planning softwares you can play with various depths and mixes if there's some you're particularly interested in.

Here's something useful towards answering from another thread:

I did this back when I first got a rebreather. I just did the math again... It costs me about $6/hour to dive a CCR, pretty much regardless of depth. Here's my numbers... You can do the math...please correct me if I'm wrong. I did this while watching a movie with the wife and kids, patiently awaiting a hurricane.

First, the retail cost of several popular rebreathers including instruction is about $9500.

I used 300 hours, as that's the most diving I did when I was very active doing a lot of 300' dives
Sorb costs me $115 per keg. A keg of sorb weighs 45lbs (especially if you weigh the kegs at the shop and pick the heaviest ones, they fluctuate by as much as 5lbs) Assume you'll get about an hour per pound. My two rebreathers hold just under 6lbs and are good for about 6 hours without pushing it. So 45hours per keg requires 6.66 kegs @ $115/keg is $767.

I also on a bad year buy 4 oxygen sensors. Retail is about $80/sensor. Thankfully, I don't pay retail. But we'll use that number. So $280 annually on sensors.
I used to spend a fortune on mushroom valves for the rEvo. Thankfully, my current rebreathers have good mushroom valves. So on a bad year, I might spend $20 on mushroom valves (retail) but I haven't replaced a mushroom valve in two years and I don't pay retail. But assume I'll have a bad year eventually.

If you rebuild your first stage regulators annually (I don't rebuild until IP creeps) then plan on $25 in parts, and $30 in labor. I rebuild my own, and I don't pay retail for parts.
Also, you can plan on replacing o-rings as needed, or during an annual service. That's up to you. I replace as needed, but an annual services would remove the above cost and replace it with $250 annually for new orings, hoses, mushroom valves and 1st stage rebuilds, etc. Let's use that number for easy math.

Now, this is where it will get a bit tricky...
I don't pay for gas fills because I'm affiliated with a few shops and a few shops are just really good to me, but my students do. They're charged $6 for a minimum fill of O2 or Trimix. Let's plan on all 300' dives. My rebreather has 4liter bottles. 4 liters at 200 bar is 800. 800 / 1 liter per minute (what a male person consumes on average at any depth in oxygen) is 13 hours. And frankly, a good rebreather diver will consume even less diluent, and typically, diluent bottles are filled to a much higher pressure than 200bar. But we'll use 13 hours for this math. Because I have big bottles and a lot of time on CCR, I might dive all week on a single fill of O2 and Dil. We're trying to get the cost for 300 hours on the loop. If we just assumed 10 hours per fill (and frankly, we exceed this often) we're looking at 30 fills at $12. $360 in Gas fills for the rebreather. I'm not going to add in bailout, because frankly, it's not consumed unless you need it, and if you need it, I'm pretty sure you're okay replenishing it, since it likely saved your life.

So what's the math? $767+$280+$250+$360 = $1657/300hours = $5.52/hour. And here's the kicker... want to go to 400'? That cost doesn't change significantly.

Well, what would 300 hours at 300' cost on OC? I haven't given it much thought... But let's see if I can figure it out.
Plan on a .5 SAC.
300' / 33 +1 = 10ata x .5 = 5cu' per minute. But, I'd guess than only 25% of that dive is actually on bottom mix. The majority of that dive is deco gas. So 300 hours x 60(minutes) x 5cu'/min x .25 = 22,500cu'.

Now, I haven't added up the cost of Deco gases like Oxygen and 50%. They are not insignificant. But if you take EE's cost of $.67/cu' for 10/70, you'll see that 22,500cu' for 300 hours of diving at Eagle's Nest will cost you about $15,075. Of course this is assuming all 300' dives. What if we were talking about 300 hours at Ginnie? Well, let's see... We replace 10ata with 4ata and we get 4ata x .5 = 2cu' per minute, except that all of that dive is on 32%. 300hours x 60(minutes) x 2cu'/min = 36000cu' x $.11/cu = $3960. Don't forget to add in annual service, o-rings, etc.

So, I guess break even really depends on where you are diving. Diving shallow? CCR is 3x cheaper than OC. Diving deep? CCR is 20x cheaper than diving OC.

What is it you are actually wanting to know?

Cameron

PDF of what you want is attached for calculations per minute of consumables based on standard gas mixes. This ignores the cost of equipment because that is fixed
Extraordinary! Thank you from a curious mind.
Cameron

Its not really that hard

It really is that hard. John was actually trying to be helpful. The range is enormous depending on the dive you want to do and whether you are on OC or CC. Just to give you an example, my OC costs range anywhere from $30 (air fill on a set of doubles in Panama + a 40 cf bottle of 50%) to upwards of $200 for a trimix dive with two stages in the U.S.

Extraordinary! Thank you from a curious mind.
Cameron
I just edited a few things to make it a bit less clunky, but here is the excel file for anyone curious to play with it. Prices are obviously unlikely to align with where you are, and the depths are for FFW, but the calculations are obviously in ATA, so the couple feet to adjust to FSW shouldn't matter

Attachments

• CCR Analysis.xlsx
    55.1 KB · Views: 81
oh look at that, I like what I see and thats what I'm about to try and do myself...
It really is that hard. John was actually trying to be helpful. The range is enormous depending on the dive you want to do and whether you are on OC or CC. Just to give you an example, my OC costs range anywhere from $30 (air fill on a set of doubles in Panama + a 40 cf bottle of 50%) to upwards of $200 for a trimix dive with two stages in the U.S.

I guess i might have read his post in the wrong way then and I didn't really get that as trying to help, so I'll apologise to him for that misunderstanding.
But still, last time you did a normal tech dive. You kinda must know approximately how much you paid for the gas? What bottles you used and what mixes you had in the bottles?

@boulderjohn Sorry for misunderstanding you! I'll behave better.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom