Request: Grand Cayman recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The beaches on Cayman are public but the chairs, cabanas, etc. belong to the specific hotel or resort or condo so the cruise ship passengers tend to go to beach clubs like Royal Palms. You are only likely to encounter fellow guests at your own resort or condo. If you stay away from George Town and other popular tourist areas between 10 am and 3 pm you will miss most of the cruise ship traffic.

How would you compare the traffic to Kralendijk Bonaire? Does the sand at 7mb extend into the water or is pretty much ironshore once you get in?

GC traffic is much heavier than Bonaire. Especially when cruise ships are in port, which goes for both islands, of course.

SMB is sand, all sand, all the way in...beautiful.

- Lighthouse Point condos offer a great onsite shore dive and DiveTech is the onsite dive op. They are also the dive op at the Holiday Inn on the North End and will transport you to the shore dive or the marina if you stay at HI. I believe that most of the LP condos are larger but they are advertising a "couples special" with 1-bedroom units, but I don't know if these have full kitchen facilities. It gets very expensive to eat out 3 times a day on GC so a kitchen is a good option. There is no beach at LP.

Thanks for the nice words! I just want to clarify on the 'Couple Special' at Lighthouse Point condos. You will have access to the full condo, so including kitchen, laundry room, living area, balconies. The master bedroom and ensuite are also accessible, only the second 'guest' bedroom and bathroom will be closed off with this special.

We are running the special for this year, and are currently busy to offer it next year!

We do offer complimentary transfers to the Holiday Inn to Lighthouse Point for guided shore diving, and to our boats.

Full disclosure: I work for Divetech but am happy to help with any questions!

Last edited:
As others have mentioned Grand Cayman has a very real rush hour. Staying in Bodden Town and traveling into George Town for a morning dive might get you stuck in traffic. Plan ahead, go early, and grab breakfast in town.

Rum Point gets crazy busy with locals on Sunday afternoons.Very little cruise ship business makes it to Rum Point so don't let that stop you from visiting mid week. But no shore diving in the area so would just be a beach break.

East End dive ops can cover a wide range of excellent dive sites but do not schedule a particular site for a particular day. Wind, waves, and occasional current determine which sites might be good on a given day. Add in that guests usually want to see a variety of dive sites so there is usually no particular plan for a particular site when leaving the dock.

Grand Cayman is the best place for adventure activities. There are many famous restaurants and dive operators are available. I recommend Red Sail Sports (https://www.redsailcayman.com) for diving in Grand Cayman. They offer pick-ups and drop-offs facility for their divers on Seven Mile Beach. They have over 30 years of experience as dive operator in Grand Cayman.

You should discover the top places of Grand Cayman i.e Stingray City, Seven Mile Beach, Smith Cove, Western Wall, Cayman Turtle Farm, and Starfish Point. Grand Cayman is also famous for the best food that’s why many famous waterfront restaurants are their. You can enjoy your favorite and delicious food at Grand Cayman’s top restaurants like Wharf Restaurant, and Grand Old House.

I hope this all informations help you. Happy Journey !!!!

I disagree completely with Marco
The Turtle Farm is a turtle prison and butchery. Why support something like that.
Red Sail has big full boats (some would say cattle boats).
Many of the other operators listed in the post earlier limit to 8-10 divers per boat and provide personalized service. Everyone picks up on 7MB so no big deal.

I would note that Marco only has one previous post. Why come out of the woodwork to tout for Red Sail? Lots of other frequent posters and visitors to GC have already given the OP very good suggestions.

Also, OP said they were on a budget. Grand Old House and Wharf are certainly not budget restaurants.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom