Keys Dive Operations Post-Irma: Who will be opening, and when?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At times like this, sometimes you've just gotta vent. I feel your frustration . Trust me...I am not in any way trying to make light of the situation you and many others are in. Not being allowed back to your home when you feel so close must be absolutely horrible - the most frustrating thing ever. I pray that the lower Keys will recover in record time.

I live in south Louisiana. We're no strangers to bad hurricanes. Remember Katrina? Rita? And then there was the great flood of 2016 (Yep, last year) that wiped out many homes here in Cajun country. We've had lots of recent experiences with tragedy. Heck, we were even in Key Largo when Irma decided to head our way and we were helping friends move boats Tuesday evening before evacuating at 3:30 Wednesday morning. It felt awful driving away not knowing if everything would still be there when we returned. And I felt very, very helpless.

Ever hear of "compassion fatigue"? After you get to a point, you just get tired of feeling helpless and you HAVE to do something. For me that means trying to find a bright side. That's how I roll. Yes, it's going to be a long haul, but the Keys will recover and recover well. Even better than before. As previously mentioned, the only route into the Keys is through Florida City. I'm happy to know that when dive tourists are allowed back in and want to go and help out by spreading their tourist dollars around, at least Key Largo will be ready for them. Because that means that not much longer after that, Islamorada will be ready for them. And then Marathon and Key West. It's gotta start somewhere.

It's gonna take TONS of patience (which is the hard part!) and LOTS of hard work. And most of all...compassion for those who have lost so much. Without hope, that's an impossible task. So I have hope. And I am a cheerleader. And I love the Florida Keys. So I am proud to share the great news that Key Largo will be ready for you when tourists are allowed back in.

And in the mean time, here is the latest post from Rainbow Reef Dive Center - including drone footage:

Dear Customers, Friends and our Families: We have spent the last couple of days putting the dive center back together so we can take you diving again as soon as the lift the roadblock at the top of the Keys. Right now they are only letting residents and business owners in, but much progress has been made and they are hopefully just a couple of days away from opening up the Keys to everyone again, at least the upper Keys anyway. As you can see, we still have some work to do, but the boats are ready to go, the compressors are hooked up and we are refilling our tanks and air system. We hope to see you soon.

For those of you asking, here is a reef report from Lad Adkins of REEF & Brigid Condor;

"Went to check out the reef today with Lad Akins ...very poor viz but the shallow reefs are looking pretty banged up. Jesus is still standing but the reef around him is pretty bare. The stake is gone and all the soft fan corals have been ripped off. Benwood only has one ball on the wreck. Looks like the bow of the ship is a little messed up as well. Grecian had a sailboat stuck in the shallows. You can no longer walk on the barge near garden cove... Elbow looks alright. The COW still looks the same. We didn't make it to molasses or French. Bands of sargassum and trash were floating in. Wish I would of taken more pics... it doesn't look as bad as I thought, hopefully the deeper reefs will be less damaged. I can't wait to get out and dive the deep wrecks soon and see how they did."

One of the issues here is that even if a shop is ready to dive, the canals are clogged with debris & submerged boats making navigation unsafe.
Another issue is everyone is trying to get their housing situations liveable & sorted out if totally displaced.
I got here today and am awed by how hard everyone is pulling together & how fast businesses are making progress & reopening.
Key Largo will be open for business soon & we all want you to come (& need your economic support after this huge loss).

South of MM74...Marathon, Big Pine, etc will take longer as there is more destruction, less useable infrastructure, not much housing left.

There is a target date of Oct 20th for Key West which coincides with the start if Fantasy Fest. Everything may not be picture perfect by then but the spirit of hospitality & Keysie fun will be in full force. #keysstrong

Here is an update from Capt Jim.

"Even though I am up north I have kept in touch with my Rainbow Reef family.

The ones that stayed and recently returned have restored the dive shop to working order.

Boats are good, air compressors are running, nitrox maker is running. All gas banks are full of air and nitrox.

Our two main go to hotels, The Marriott, and Key West Inn are operational and ready for guests.

We are ready to take you diving, and the hotels are ready with your rooms.

As soon as Monroe County opens the road to visitors you are invited to come dive with us.

Support The Florida Keys."
#keysstrong

Rainbow Reef, Ocean Divers, Horizon Divers, Quiessense, scuba-fun are ready as soon as the door to the Keys opens. There may be a few more.

Some are needing help.
Conch Republic Divers boats & Capt Gary's home are ok but the marina which contained the dive shop, & compressors took a beating. Please reach out to Capt Gary & Admiral Brenda via email.
Florida Keys Divers boats are ok but their shop flooded & they are working to rebuild.
Islamorada Dive Center took a serious beating & has started a gofundme to help with rebuild expenses.
Click here to support Help rebuild IDC organized by Grace Langs

I will keep uodating this thread as I learn the status of more dive operators.

And now we have TS Maria expected to become a Cat 3 and following almost the same track as Irma.

And now we have TS Maria expected to become a Cat 3 and following almost the same track as Irma.
Spaghetti models look more like Matthew last year.

Hopefully it will follow those models and turn north sooner and not drift west as Irma did. For now it is on a similar track for the next few days and some of those islands are getting a 2 for 1 special..

Rainbow Reef is ready to take diving charters out. Rainbow took a 46 footer out today with staff members and checked out reefs and wrecks, nothing remarkable was reported.

The Marriott and Key West Inn are ready for guests

Rainbow Reef Open for diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom