Help: Looking for destination departing from Hongkong in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, Scuba friends!

I am a new member here so I hope I'm doing this right. ;-)

Since you guys are from all over the world and much more experienced, we hope you can help us finding a destination for our next vacation. We can't travel every year so that's a big thing for us and of course we want to make the best of it.

My partner and I are staying in China visiting friends in January 2018 and will be leaving afterwards from Hongkong International Airport. Since we are travelling far away from the sea there, we would like to add 2 weeks of sun, beach and diving/snorkeling before heading back to Germany. We are in our late 20s and we like to be active in the sense of that we love to hike volcanoes, tramping through rainforest, observing animals and not spending most of the time lying on the beach. We also don't want to party/need alcohol and prefer to be among locals. Diving is important to us but since we are on a budget we probably won't be able to go out for more than 5 days. That's alright since we love to spent our time mingling with locals, trying food and visiting sights as well. For this holiday we are longing especially for white secluded beaches and great snorkeling opportunities from the beach as contrast to our stay in the Himalaya beforehand. If food and basic accomodation is cheap we can afford staying in resorts if that's necessary/more convenient to make the best of our diving time. I would say we are advanced beginners and prefer calm waters with good visibility compared to drift, muck and night dives. If there's a chance to see Mantas, Whale Sharks or whales we would be especially thrilled but we are also absolutely pleased with "just" healthy coral, shoal of fish, nudibranches and other critters.

We've been to Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia and the South Pacific so we know about the usual dangers in developing countries and are careful but not overly anxious. Our original plan was to visit the Phillipines since they seem to fit all our demands perfectly but we stepped away after the foreign ministries of Germany and Austria both issued travel warnings not only for the Sulu Sea but also for Palawan, Cebu and Bohol. Usually they are rather careful and not overhasty with those (e.g. they haven't installed a warning for Thailand after the terror attacks in Bangkok but added a piece of information only).

Well, that's us and our story. We can't really decide for a new destination and we shouldn't wait too long with our bookings anymore... How do you judge the risk of visiting the Phillipines at the moment?

Thanks a lot for taking the time reading all this! We appreciate any input.

P.S.: Sorry for the long post, I wanted to give you enough information about us so you find it easier to help us.

My first thought was the Philippines, but I haven't been paying attention lately to the risk/political climate. I would strongly consider Vietnam, if you have never been. I had an outstanding 10 day trip there a few years back. I flew into Hanoi from Bangkok and went out to Halong Bay for 2 days and 1 night on a boat. After coming back from Halong Bay, you could take a few days up in the Sapa region and do some trekking in the mountains. Hanoi itself is a very fun city to walk around and get lost in. I then made my way down the coast with stops in Da Nang, Hue and Hoi An. Hoi An was a real highlight and just a great city/town to spend a number of days in. I took a few days and did some diving in the Cham Islands and used a PADI dive operator out of Hoi An. Blue Coral Diving Dive Hoi An PADI Dive Center
They do wonderful day trips out to the islands combined with a great lunch on a beach. You could then continue south to Nha Trang where there is some additionally good diving and nice beaches: Rainbow Divers | Rainbow Divers Vietnam
Eventually make your way to Ho Chi Minh City which is a big international airport hub to get you to wherever you are headed afterward. Bottom line is that Vietnam ticks off all of the things you are looking for in a 2 week vacation.
Whatever you decide, have fun and stay safe.

Looking at the first two posts in re the Philippines.... Get out a map!

It's a huge country. Some places, avoid if your government or Mom says so, but there's a lot of great dive bases in the Philippines that ISIS has skipped by hundreds of miles. If they're warning you about dodgy behavior and the inherent risks involved therein, that would be quite a list. People who need a list probably won't heed it.

You can pick any spot and some government will have issued a warning. They paint with a broad brush.

Fortune favors the brave. Batangas Mindoro?

Last edited:
Hey guys,
sorry for the late reply, I haven't been in town the last couple of days. Thanks for your thoughts, I really appreciate it!

@Trailboss123: Thanks so much for the plan. We'll definitely look into it! We haven't considered Vietnam so far and I'm really pleased by what I've seen and read. =) Would you say that it is rather touristy nowadays? Is the quality of diving comparable to other SE-Asian countries?

@dirtfarmer: Bali was actually our previous destination. Divingwise we were very unlucky since there were weeks of VERY bad visibility and swell. But first of all we found it too touristy, even though we avoided the Australian-drinking-paradise in the south. The stalls with souvenirs and "guides" everywhere were really exhausting. As beautiful as the culture is, it is nearly impossible to just take part and enjoy. The village at Gunung Batur was the worst, vendors physically stopped us from walking on. The western part was awesome though with beautiful landscapes and amazingly friendly and open people and we finally found nice snorkeling at Pulau Menjangan. We spent 5 weeks there and we left with many great memories but also with mixed feelings. Due to the long stay we found what we were looking for but with only 2 weeks we probably would have been disappointed. In the end it's quite exactly what I don't really want to repeat this time since we only have 2 weeks there and no time to start searching for the hidden "real" face of the country.

I would say that Vietnam is touristed, but not touristy. I was never hassled or bombarded to buy stuff at all. People go about their business and you insert yourself into it. It has enough tourist infrastructure now that it makes life easier to get around and facilitate travel more comfortably. I found the quality of diving better than I expected and better than most spots in the gulf of Thailand that I have visited, but certainly not on par with world class destinations like the Komodos or Raja Ampat or Philippines. I would not make it a specific dive destination vacation "exclusively". I consider it a great country to visit on many levels and the diving is very much an added bonus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom