GoPro leaking issues?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suspect that most people leave their GoPro tightly closed during periods of un-use. Personally I leave my camera un-latched to the seal is not constantly compressed. I believe that it will eventually become permanently compressed and could then leak. I also periodically clean my seal and the mating surface with a minimal film of silicone grease. So far no leaks.
I think the primary problem with the GoPro seals are that they are not like a conventional circular section o-ring, which are usually designed to compress slightly and wipe a little as the housing door is clamped shut. Going way back the Nikonos III was of this design. My Canon S90 in a WP-DC35 housing is of a similar design concept (as are many other items of UW equipment), and I've never had an issue. Once the door is closed, water pressure acts on the lubricated o-ring allowing it to move and seal against its recess and compensate for varying depths and pressure.

Both the UW and Dive housings for my GoPro Hero 4 have a much softer, irregularly shaped seal profile which does not wipe much as the door is closed... it is essentially a simple compression seal held shut by an over-centre clamp.
While this is adequate for moderate depths, one key difference between the standard UW GoPro housing and the Dive housing is the provision for a secondary lock on the clamp to prevent it opening if deeper water pressure compresses the door against its seal and the over-centre force is negated.

Heard stories of standard UW housings springing open on deepish dives when the catch brushed a hose or wing.

I've personally witnessed a GoPro flood on a 25m dive because it turned out a single small hair (eye lash?) had fallen across the seal unnoticed by the normally meticulous owner. In my WP-DC35 the o-ring wiping action in closing the housing door probably would not have failed vs a compression seal.

So these days I am totally OCD about the GoPro seal, Ricardo has some great tips above!

I first took the new Dive housing UW empty to check seal integrity, remove clean and very lightly lubricate the seal, then always leave the housing open between dive trips so the seal doesn't develop a set.

I double check for lint/hairs every battery change... which unfortunately is every second dive with the (tiny) LCD back in place.

So far so good... fingers crossed :wink:

Last edited:
Agree with most of the comments posted above. I used my Hero3+ for about 180 dives or so before it flooded. Dove with it at all depths down to 100 ft, warm water, cold water in the 40sF. Never was able to find what made it flood. I feel I got my money's worth and bought a Hero4 Back to replace it....I think I am about 130 dives into this camera under the same mixed conditions and continue to get good results with it. The GP housings are plastic with a single o-ring....adequate but not indestructible Treat them well and they will treat you well. Clean carefully, maintain the o-ring, always check the o-ring closely and then close carefully. Use moisture munchers. Always rinse well after use, including pushing the buttons while submerged in the rinse tank. Rinse as soon as possible after diving - one great advantage of GPs on this front is that something as small as a plastic mask box or a clean plastic cup can serve as a rinse tank when removed from your tray or handle. Store the housing carefully in the open position after fully drying out - for me that is in a ziploc bag inside of a tupperware container.

I've been diving the Go Pro Super suit UW housing on my new GoPro6.
It's the same exact clear plastic housing as the 5. Cost about $ 50.00
Supposed to be usable down to 196 ft. (Not 197 ? Go figure.)

To get the camera into that clear plastic housing though - ya gotta take off the GoPro front lens cover, which I think negates the rest of the underwater proof-ness of the camera.

So I've been salivating over the GolemGear housing - it's $ 360.00 and rated to 500 FSW. No need to remove the lens cover at all. One of my dive instructors has this and is pretty happy thus far w/ his GoPro 6.

upload_2017-10-25_11-28-52.png

Back
Top Bottom