Suunto Eon Steel Fused also for deep dives ... ??? Not so convinced !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hyprae

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have experience with Suunto Eon Steel algoritm for deep dives?
I do and the expirience is not so positive! Any feedback is welcome ... either the alg is unrealistically conservative or maybe I made an error I am unaware off ...

Context:
- deep dive (60m), bottom time 13 min, stage bottle (70% O2)
- buddy has Shearwater computer
- during planning we determine deco requirements with algos Suunto RGBM & Suunto Tech RGBM - both give normal decks comparable to Shearwater computer: surfacing at 33 min, deepest deco step at 12m
- but, Eon Steel only has the fused RGBM alg which is supposed to be a combi of RGBM & tech RGBM, BUT it gives unrealistic deco: surfacing after more than an hour ..., & deepest deco step at 36m ...?!?
- Briefing as follows: maybe the fused RGBM calculation is a bug in the laptop computer software, so we decide to follow the Shearwater as primary deco computer
- and indeed: Fused RGBM leads to deco at 36 m ... we follow Shearwater so Eon Steel goes into locked mode for 48 hours

FYI: both of us had same parameter settings (conservatism), and my buddy had done earlier dives so his computer was a good back-up for me.

Problem is not that the Eon Steel went into locked. That was normal since we broke the ceiling window, but that the deco requirements are unrealistically conservative in comparison to other tech computers/algorithms.

There's nothing normal about a computer meant for technical diving locking itself out when you make it unhappy. Shearwater doesn't and neither did Liquivison when they were leading the pack.

What algorithm (or GF) was your buddy using on the Shearwater? With ZHL 50/80 I get 35min runtime, with 3 min deco below 12m (18m and 15m).

There's nothing normal about a computer meant for technical diving locking itself out when you make it unhappy. Shearwater doesn't and neither did Liquivison when they were leading the pack.

Totally agree! Stunt Eon Steel should never be considered as tech computer

Fuse do is not a cross of tech RGBM and RGBM, it is something else. It gives deeper stops that either of those. You must have tuned off deep stops when planning the RGBM/Tech RGBM dives as those stops depend on depth rather than time.

If you don't want to bend the computer then you need to plan with the appropriate algorithm and the same settings as the dive computer, otherwise how do you know how much gas will be required?

I have done a few dives (high 30s maxing out twin 12s) with buddies using Eons while I have been using a Petrel (45/85 CCR 1.3) and Helo2 without spending ages waiting for it to clear.

Sounds a lot like deep air to me, amiright?

Don't Set Suunto Eon Steel Dive Computer • Dive Settings • Parameters • Personal to Conservative +1 or Higher for Deep Diving. Last Dive I set Aggressive -1 and Suunto Cleared before CCR DCAP. I Followed RGBM Fused Deep Stops with DCAP Ceilings/Stops Deco. I was Diving 398 Feet. Safety Stop was 348 Feet. First Deco Stop was 271 Feet. Next Deco Stop was 194 Feet, et cetera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom