Dive knife, Sea Snips, or both?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just came back from kelp diving in Anacapa, Channel Islands, SoCal last weekend. I saw several divers strapping their legs with BFNs, even a girl with BFN strapped on one leg & another built in pocket on her thigh of 7mm wetsuit with another BFN. What are freaking 2 BFNs used for in a shallow dive (< 40 feet deep) where the kelp can be easily rip apart by a fin stroke or a hand pull?

I have never seen so many divers strapping BFNs on their legs until then. :D

I think there are other more important safety gear than those BFNs. Here are what I carry on my every dive:
1. DSMB
2. Mirror
3. Flashlight
4. DiverAlert
5. Whistle
6. Diver knife
7. PLB1

IMG_5911.JPG

I noticed Anacapa dive sites are favorite place for newbies to get their fist few OW dives. We found knifes (new & old with coral growth on it), snokles, a snorkel with mask, flashlight, etc. on the kelp forest floor :D.

Last edited:
I just came back from kelp diving in Anacapa, Channel Islands, SoCal last weekend. I saw several divers strapping their legs with BFNs, even a girl with BFN strapped on one leg & another built in pocket on her thigh of 7mm wetsuit with another BFN. What are freaking 2 BFNs used for in a shallow dive (< 40 feet deep) where the kelp can be easily rip apart by a fin stroke or a hand pull?

I have never seen so many divers strapping BFNs on their legs until then. :D

I think there are other more important safety gear than those BFNs. Here are what I carry on my every dive:
1. DSMB
2. Mirror
3. Flashlight
4. DiverAlert
5. Whistle
6. Diver knife
7. PLB1

View attachment 426712

I noticed Anacapa dive sites are favorite place for newbies to get their fist few OW dives. We found knifes (new & old with coral growth on it), snokles, a snorkel with mask, flashlight, etc. on the kelp forest floor :D.

This is a great list. What is a PLB1? That DiverAlert (which I've never seen before) looks AWESOME.

This is a great list. What is a PLB1? That DiverAlert (which I've never seen before) looks AWESOME.

@Lorenzoid posted a good link to read up about PLB. It's a good thing to have, not only for diving, but also when you are hiking in the wood, getting lost in place where there is no phone signal to call for rescue.

l put my PLB1 in an old UW camera case since it's only rated to 50 fsw. It's small enough to fit inside my BCD pocket.

IMG_4371.JPG

The Nautilus Lifeline is different from a PLB--it's based on marine VHF radio, where a PLB uses satellites. They are both tools to help locate a person in distress. Each has its pros and cons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom