Olympus TG-4 vs TG-5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sunshine Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi seniors,

I just completed buying a full set of diving equipment (thank u to those who share their opinion with me).

I am now setting my eye on this 2 particular models due to me not a professional photographer. Hence, need an entry camera for taking photos as my personal hobbit.

I can't find a thread in regards to this and so I post it as a new thread and will appreciate very much on your point of view here, as a professional photographer or leisure photographer :cheers:.

I was thinking if TG-5 ain't got a huge lead in terms of picture quality, technology or etc. It will be more cost efficient to get a TG-4. Therefore, please feel free to share.

Have a enjoyable & safe diving :clearmask:

Check out The Olympus Outlet

That section is specific to UW photography of the olympus brand. There are a lot of discussions about the TG-4.

Because the tg-5 was just released there isn't as much discussion/info yet but from what I can tell they improved the image processing capabilities and dropped the resolution from 16mp to 12mp which combined should make the image quality better, particularly in low light conditions (ie underwater) but how much is a good question.

I haven't seen any tg-5 results yet compared to a tg-4 so my opinion might change, but I don't know if it warrants the extra money over the tg-4.

I've been using tg-3 and tg-4s for a couple years now and really like them, they have their limitations (no full manual control, small sensor) but you can make a compact rig that performs fairly well. For snorkeling I don't think they can be beat, and for diving for the price they perform well.

You can check out my flickr and blog for some samples of my amateur work using mine.

Check out The Olympus Outlet

That section is specific to UW photography of the olympus brand. There are a lot of discussions about the TG-4.

Because the tg-5 was just released there isn't as much discussion/info yet but from what I can tell they improved the image processing capabilities and dropped the resolution from 16mp to 12mp which combined should make the image quality better, particularly in low light conditions (ie underwater) but how much is a good question.

I haven't seen any tg-5 results yet compared to a tg-4 so my opinion might change, but I don't know if it warrants the extra money over the tg-4.

I've been using tg-3 and tg-4s for a couple years now and really like them, they have their limitations (no full manual control, small sensor) but you can make a compact rig that performs fairly well. For snorkeling I don't think they can be beat, and fpticor diving for the price they perform well.

You can check out my flickr and blog for some samples of my amateur work using mine.

Hi skeptic 14th,

Thank you for your advice!! Am gonna chk out the information u provide.

Cheers

I think that this thread needs to be moved to the relevant forum as pointed out above.

Not having full manual control is a no no for me otherwise, I'd consider this camera as a backup and alternative for my main housed system for when taking photos isn't the main focus of the dive such as when training students in pool or openwater (final dives).

I have the tg-4 and love it. Faster performance and better quality than my old nikon fantasea 9000 rig that had a compact camera, housing, and sea and sea strobe and that was a $1200 automatic setup. The quality of the images are fantastic, no bulk, and fits on your wrist or in a pocket in seconds. You add that $50 vivid pix software that simplifies the post color correction for scuba photos and you have a winner. I do plan on getting a tg-6 or tg-7 later on. That new sensor in the tg-5 has to make the photos look better in darker/deeper conditions but they did lower the megapixels and I am happy with my current setup. Once they bump up the mp to 14-16 with that larger sensor I'll be all in on the upgrade. I keep hoping the next version will let us go past 50 ft but I've taken my tg-4 to 65ft and didn't have a problem and I don't have the secondary housing.

Looks like a mute point now
TG4's are hard to come by and often more expensive then te newer TG5

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom