Universal wing to backplate fit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice try John, however any reasonable reading of my description, OR the Navy Diving Manual section you quoted will see they are in agreement.

Have you nothing better to do than intentionally try to confuse people?

Tobin
So constant and variable have the same meaning?

Excuse my ignorance, I bow to your superior intellect

So constant and variable have the same meaning?

Excuse my ignorance, I bow to your superior intellect

John, what I said was "Drysuits are in theory a constant volume device. The diver adds gas as they descend and vents the suit on ascents to maintain the same total volume."

I never said drysuit were in fact a constant volume device. "In theory" suggests they probably are not in practice.

Sorry if that was just a bit too subtle for you to be able to follow.

Let's try this again, for example I could have said; Drysuits, in theory, don't leak (but every drysuit user knows this "theory" is seriously flawed)

Hope that helps. Could you please now detail for me all the other places I disagree with the Navy Manual?
Please be specific.

Tobin

Last edited:
John, what I said was "Drysuits are in theory a constant volume device. The diver adds gas as they descend and vents the suit on ascents to maintain the same total volume."

I never said drysuit were in fact a constant volume device. "In theory" suggests they probably are not in practice.

Sorry if that was just a bit too subtle for you to be able to follow.

Let's try this again, for example I could have said; Drysuits, in theory, don't leak (but every drysuit user knows this "theory" is seriously flawed)

Hope that helps. Could you please now detail for me all the other places I disagree with the Navy Manual?
Please be specific.

Tobin
Let's try this. . . "Drysuits are a variable volume device. The diver adds gas as they descend the vents the suits on ascents to maintain the same total volume"

You can try to re-invent the English language as much as you wish. A drysuit is as much a constant volume device as one of your wings

@JohnN
Two types of constant volume.
Wetsuits are constant volume in that they are not a "container" and the only volume of water they displace is the volume of the material itself
They are variable volume in that the material volume itself changes as a function of ambient pressure

Drysuits *excluding non compressed neoprene* and wings are constant volume in that the material volume does not change as a function of ambient pressure or temperature
Drysuits and wings are variable volume in that the are flexible vessels that can contain a variable volume of gas
Drysuits to @cool_hardware52 's point are "theoretically" constant volume devices because the theory is you add gas to maintain a specific suit volume regardless of ambient pressure and as such do not need to be "compensated for" by the wing as you descent.

Let's try this. . . "Drysuits are a variable volume device. The diver adds gas as they descend the vents the suits on ascents to maintain the same total volume"

You can try to re-invent the English language as much as you wish. A drysuit is as much a constant volume device as one of your wings

John,

One more time, I never claimed Drys were actually a constant volume device, never, not once. To continue to contend I did so is to knowingly promote a lie.

I've spent considerable time and effort in an honest attempt to educate.

You OTOH apparently need to feed your ego by playing "Gothcha" and trying to inject confusion and ridicule others for a perceived error.

It must be a truly, small sad life that leads one to such behavior.

You are exactly why many people with real expertise have left Scubaboard.

Bravo.

Tobin

John,

One more time, I never claimed Drys were actually a constant volume device, never, not once. To continue to contend I did so is to knowingly promote a lie.

I've spent considerable time and effort in an honest attempt to educate.

You OTOH apparently need to feed your ego by playing "Gothcha" and trying to inject confusion and ridicule others for a perceived error.

It must be a truly, small sad life that leads one to such behavior.

You are exactly why many people with real expertise have left Scubaboard.

Bravo.

Tobin

FWIW, thank you Tobin. I thought your explanation was clear and characteristically helpful. I've learned a lot from you, and I'm grateful that you persevere here. Thanks!

i am curious.
I have been looking into a wing and backplate set-up.
I am wondering if any wing I choose would fit any backplate.?
I also am looking at a delux harness with quick release on one side and wonder if the quick release is durable enough for longevity.
Well now that that's over, we can get back to your original question. I haven't seen the bit about deluxe harness buckle longevity addressed yet.

I've got a diverite deluxe harness that's just over 5 years old. I've never had any problem with the buckles, and I often pick up my rig with an aluminum plate, steel STA and Worthington LP108 tank attached by one strap when I don the rig. I have been considering replacing it as it's not particularly expensive and the straps are showing quite a bit of wear - especially where they meet the backplate. The shoulder pads are also looking a little rough, so it would stand to reason the buckles are getting worn as well.

I've used my diverite wing with a diverite steel plate, diverite abs plate, and apeks aluminum plate. I didn't have to do anything special to fit the apeks, it was only after I'd purchased that plate that I found out some plates don't fit certain wings. I guess I just got lucky in my brand selection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom