Suit for SoCal diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wyatt1225

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Should I be getting a 7mm or a semi dry suit? Recently certified and have only dove in August and September with a 7mm.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

It depends on where in SoCal you plan to dive and when. I've been using a drysuit for the past 15 years.
For your awesome Nudibranch Safari's, What type drysuit do you prefer? Do you vary your thermal undies throughout the year, and what different weight fleece works for your suit, please?
We are completing check out dives for dry suit course this Saturday, and I like the Santi, but wonder how great a range of fleeces I can use without becoming a stuffed "Michelin tire man " look. I have heard reaching valves can get harder with thicker fleece necessary for colder conditions.

There are so many benefits to a drysuit that it's really the only recommendation.......if it's financially difficult keep and eye out for used. There are lots of wetsuits and semi-drysuit out there for sale as most bought them and then realized how much better a drysuit is.

For your awesome Nudibranch Safari's, What type drysuit do you prefer? Do you vary your thermal undies throughout the year, and what different weight fleece works for your suit, please?
We are completing check out dives for dry suit course this Saturday, and I like the Santi, but wonder how great a range of fleeces I can use without becoming a stuffed "Michelin tire man " look. I have heard reaching valves can get harder with thicker fleece necessary for colder conditions.
I wear the same bunny suit under my drysuit year round. I make an annual trip to God's Pocket where the water temps are always 46-51°. Most of my dives at home are the same during the winter and in the mid to upper 50s in summer.
I've used different drysuits from a thick rubber Poseidon suit, DUI trilam, USIA, Diving Concepts cordura and currently a Waterproof D7. There are a couple of tricks to reach your valves. You can use your other hand to lift the tank from the bottom. Also, when you reach as far as you can, use the other hand to push your elbow. You can get another 6-8" that way.

It depends on where in SoCal you plan to dive and when. I've been using a drysuit for the past 15 years.

Most of my dives are going to be at Terranea, Vet's Park in Redondo and spots around there. I'll venture to San Diego sometimes or up north to Monterey.

I have over 350 dives at Marineland (Terranea) and about 100 at Vet's. It's typically ten degrees colder around Palos Verdes than Laguna Beach so I prefer a drysuit. Most dive in 6 or 7mm wetsuits. I made my first 800+ dives in wetsuit until I finally got tired of shivering.

I conc
Most of my dives are going to be at Terranea, Vet's Park in Redondo and spots around there. I'll venture to San Diego sometimes or up north to Monterey.
I concur with everyone else. Get a drysuit and you will be covered for all So Cal conditions.

I dive regularly and year round at the sites you mention--in a wet suit.

For that matter, the vast majority of other divers I see at those sites do as well.

I've dived SoCal for nearly 50 years now and only did one dive in a dry suit... it was a very wet dive! Of course the choice depends to a degree on your body type. If you have enough "bioprene" a wetsuit can be fine. If slender, not so fine. I dive Catalina most of the time and it is usually warmer than the colder, more turbid waters of the mainland where Phil dives. Another consideration is whether you plan to be an UW imager... too much camera shake from being cold doesn't help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom