Upgrading Equipment To Scubapro - Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Experimented with one and decided not to buy or own cheap bc like it. I have several of my friends who are highly experienced divers/instructors who owned it and had the same opinion.

I find this post to be absolutely ridiculous. When I resumed diving after many years, I bought all new equipment. It was pretty much all Scubapro. I was not limited by a budget and pretty much went for the hype that "Scubapro is the best." So my lds loaded me up: Scubapro Classic w/ air 2, Galileo Luna w/ transmitter, 2x mk25evo/s600's, seawing novas, synergy 2, SP verve snorkel, the works. 1 year later, out of everything that I purchased initially, the only things that I have not sold and continue to use are the synergy 2 mask and the mk25evo/s600's. I like them so much I actually bought a 3rd set.

What am I diving now? DSS BP&W. I actually have 2 backplates - 1 kydex and 1 stainless steel. The kydex plate is my lightweight, warm-water bp that I use with 3mm or less protection and steel HP 100. I need ZERO additional weight. It's simple, durable, lightweight, clean design (no STA, which I love) with outstanding fit and finish. I'll never need another one, and it's my go-to travel solution due to its light weight. The harness is simple 2" reinforced webbing. Expensive scubapro rubberized material with doodads all over it? No. And the webbing is probably all of $15 to replace if/when it ever wears out. Again, clean and simple. Also, I find the quality of the webbing to be very good for what it is. I have an lcd 20 wing to pair with the kydex bp for warm water diving. I love the lower profile of a smaller wing. There is no need for 40lb wing imo for my warm water configuration. The modular nature of a bp&w is a strength, and it can be customized based upon thermal protection and cylinder type. Don't let the myriad of combinations and options be offputting or confusing. Quality of wing materials and construction? Again, outstanding imo. Very durable, clean, solid design with an excellent fit and finish.

The stainless steel plate is of similar outstanding quality. I like the form. It's properly deburred and smooth. No STA. I like the additional weight which comes in handy for a drysuit or thicker wetsuits. I have an lcd 30 that can be paired with this plate.

Price? I did look at the new SP Hydros Pro and compared it to bp&w's. Though the price of the Hydros was off-putting ($900+ plus accessories), I preferred the simplicity of bp&w. Out of the water, there were questions about comfort of the harness, but that completely disappears in the water. I love the feel and fit! I consider it a bonus that I was able to purchase 2 full DSS setups - backplate, harness, wing - for about the same cost as a SP Hydros Pro.

Computer? Easy. Shearwater Perdix AI. $1,150. Buy once, cry once. I sold my Luna which I liked, but it was also my first dive computer, and there is no comparison imo. Even the new SP G2 doesn't measure up. No user replaceable battery, proprietary algorithm, et. al. It's nice, but not as nice imo. Most fanboys of equipment tend to be those who are justifying their own purchases, which I completely understand; however, my perspective comes after having bought and owned BOTH, but it's only my opinion.

As mentioned, I do like the SP regs, so I will continue to use them. Other changes? 7' primary w/ bungee'd necklaced secondary. Freediving fins. Apeks tech shorts with pockets. 3x Faber steel HP 100's.

There are lots of choices out there, but regs, bc's, and computers are the ones most people would prefer to get right the first time. I heartily recommend the DSS bp&w. The trickiest part is getting the harness fitting right if you've never done it before, but it is doable, and after completing successfully, you've got a much more intimate insight into the nature of your gear imo. Shearwater Perdix AI gets a big thumbs up, also. You've picked a solid reg set, and when you get to looking at tanks, Faber HP 100's are a very good fit for many divers.

Be forewarned, LDS's that deal exclusively in Scubapro gear may not be so enthusiastic with how you may choose to spend non-SP allocated dollars. I've learned this lesson firsthand. Best of luck with your decisions and purchases.

Last edited:
I would replace the bc with a used or dss bpw, skip the ai and go for a used shearwater or maybe if the deep 6 ever comes out, and just keep using your current regs with maybe getting a matching balanced 2nd stage. take the savings and spend it on a trip. since you have until at least february, just keep an eye out for deals on craigslist or the forums in the meantime.

i dive used gear as i would rather spend my money on a trip every year instead.

You can read about some user experiences with the Hydros here:

Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD - Monoprene attachment hole ripped

It sounds like the problems with shoulder straps ripping is not limited to an early batch.

My very first BCD was a DSS SS BP with an LCD30 wing. I still have the BP and have sold the wing.

IF I were going to buy a ScubaPro integrated BCD, I think I would buy the Litehawk. I definitely cannot see myself buying a Hydros with its 40# air cell. That is just ridiculously large. The Litehawk has a 30# wing and that is still way bigger than I need for warm water diving.

That said, I agree with the posts of people who prefer a BP/W. It is really nice to be able to configure it to fit exactly and to put whatever pockets or attachments I want. And to be able to fix anything on it for $15 or less. And to know that there is really not a single thing on my entire BCD that could get broken - not even by someone dropping a tank on it on a dive boat. I take that back. The one thing that could get broken is that the wing could get punctured or torn. But, that is true of any BCD and is just another argument in favor of having a wing that is no bigger than you need. And in favor of having a modular BCD where you can fix or replace just the air cell, if it gets damaged. And you can have more than one size air cell for a BP/W, so you can easily switch between a small wing for travel to warm water destinations and a bigger wing for cold water diving. So, you have the extra lift when you need it, but you don't have the big wing creating a bunch of drag in the water when you don't need it.

If you do go with a BP/W, well, I own DSS SS and Kydex BPs and a Blue Reef SS BP. Normal price on the BR is only $70 and I got mine on sale for $50. Owning them all, I don't see any reason that I would personally pay more for a BP than what the BR costs. It's the one I use the most.

For wings, I own or have owned DSS, OMS, Halcyon, Dive Rite, HOG, and Oxycheq. I currently use a HOG 23 for single tank and Dive Rite for doubles. I like them (HOG and Dive Rite) the best of all the wings I have tried. For single tank, the HOG is smaller and less expensive than the DSS wing I had and, again, I don't see any reason that I would pay more than what the HOG wing costs. Also, the HOG is a donut, which I prefer to the DSS horsehoe I had. And, the HOG wing has a zipper to let me access the inner bladder and fix a puncture to the bladder, if needed. The DSS donut wings do not have a zipper, so if you ever do happen to get a hole in one, you cannot fix it in the field. You have to ship it back to DSS to have the bladder replaced. I don't know if DSS has changed, but they used to charge $50 to replace a bladder. A very reasonable price, but there's still shipping to pay and time without your wing.

The rest of the wings I've owned have all been doubles wings and the Dive Rite and OMS wings are the only ones that gave me good trim without requiring a tail weight. The OMS is a horseshoe and the Dive Rites (I have 2 - a 45# and a 60#) are donuts. I prefer donut wings, so the DR are the only ones I use these days.

Regarding computers, my first was an Oceanic Atom 3.0 with AI. I still have it and I think it is a great computer. I have never had a lick of trouble with it or the AI. I have owned it for going on 3 years now and I have changed the computer battery 2 or 3 times. The AI transmitter has seen over 150 dives (not counting sessions in the pool) and it is still on its original battery! I have had several other computers and currently also have a Seabear H3 and a Perdix AI with transmitter.

From what you said, I don't think I would really recommend an OCi. If you want to spend that much money, I would suggest the Perdix AI and a transmitter. If you really want a watch-style computer with AI, then I would suggest to consider saving some money and just get an Atom 3.1. I don't think the OCi is remotely worth the extra money.

If you MUST buy a ScubaPro, then the Galileo 2 is a nice computer, but I think the Perdix AI is nicer and less expensive... I have not owned a G2. My opinion is based on playing with one for a few minutes in a shop when they first came out. Also, the Perdix AI uses the same transmitter as the Oceanic, Aeris, Hollis, Aqualung, Sherwood, and (I think) Tusa AI computers. The ScubaPro uses SP's own proprietary AI transmitter that only works with SP computers. If you wanted, you could get an Atom 3.1 with a transmitter and then buy a Perdix AI later and both computers could read the same transmitter at the same time.

FWIW. I am very happy with my Hydros Pro. No problem whatsoever with the straps. It is very comfortable. Easy to get on and off. I also like the G2 although I think the PerdixAI is probably a tad better. To each their own.

I like the hydros in theory but haven had a chance to dive one, for a lot less money you can go with a DSS rig, I use a diverite xt voyager wing with mine and make my own harness in the style of the diverite harness. My chest is 52" so the one piece harness doesn't work well for me. You can save $3-500 this way.

Computer; I would hunt down a scubapro Luna, a lot for sale at bargain prices as people flock to the G2, I would go Perdix AI if I wanted the latest thing but you can save another $500 buying the Luna.

The mark 25 evo is great but very spendy over something like a deep 6 signature or many many choices in used regulators like older MK 25s, aqualung etc.

Second stages fit into the same category. My guess is your old reg still does all you'll ever need.
Take the 2K in savings and go someplace like Bonaire.

Hi @Aburns84

I just read through both pages of posts, and I can swear I've read the same posts, many times. Everyone has their favorites. Whatever choices you make, I hope they are still your favorites for many years to come, like mine are :)

Good diving, Craig

I love scubapro regulator but for computers the best of the best is shearwater Perdix AI
Cheers

My chest is 52" so the one piece harness doesn't work well for me.

What else do you have going on there? I mean, my chest runs about 48" and I have fairly sloped shoulders. Once I got my first one piece harness adjusted properly, it has worked really well for me. Easy to get on and off, yet very stable once the waist belt and crotch strap are all done up. When I first got it, it was not easy to get on/off and it seemed like I really needed a sternum strap to keep it all "on" properly. But, eventually I figured out that I just didn't have it adjusted like it should be. Mostly, the shoulder straps were too short/tight.

So, I'm just curious if you have something more unusual than just a 52" chest to make a one piece harness not work well for you. If it's personal and you don't care to answer, no worries. I don't mean to pry (though I realize this kinda makes it sound like I do). I'm just trying to learn about how Hogarthian harnesses fit different people and what physical characteristics really make it where they can't be made to work well or need some special configuration (e.g. shoulder straps that cross each other behind the neck before going over the shoulders).

What I find missing in the discussions is any questions as to your use case. Primarily resort, travel diving --- headed to more technical diving --- Great Lakes diving --- anything more than nitrox diving --- etc.

I have had ScubaPro regulators and have been very happy with them, but the service situation/warranty/etc. got to be an expensive pain, more of an issue having 4+, maybe not so big a deal with one. I had a buddy that could service them. Almost all my SP gear was/is high quality, reliable, solid performing.

I have also loved my Shearwater (though I have a Predator and love the OLED screen for my older eyes). I think everyone recommending them does it with great reason.

I too started with a Knight Hawk, moved to a BP/W with STA, and then BP/W doubles and then SM. This may be your most 'disposable' or biggest configuration item. Again, depending on your use case and growth in diving. I kept my BCD for warm water travel.

This thread represents an excellent example of about 2000 recent similar threads on SB. Here’s the gist:

1. Bash Scubapro - check. Mention that the Hydros is a POS - Bonus point

2. Get a BPW - check. Mention DSS - Bonus point

3. Praise Shearwater - check

4. Identical cast of characters always offering identical advice - check

5. Yada yada yada - check

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom