Utilus - No final air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A new gauge was installed today and the highest pressure obtained from the compressor is about 1600 psi. So, on to the next step.

Checked all of the connections today and found the 1st stage relief valve is venting. The first stage is either building up more than the relief valve set at 95 psi or the relief valve is not working properly. I plan to address this problem first.

Venting 1st stage relief probably means there is problem with the second stage valves.... I would pull the second and third stage valves and clean them up. If they are the cartridge type valves there isn't a whole lot of cleanup you can do and they might need to be replaced.

When a relief lifts, check the suction valve for the next stage. Quite frankly, if it is a moving part on a compressor that hasn't been used in 20 years, you must learn great patience, or just replace all of the expensive bits. You're going to replace them anyway.

wwunder nailed it! I removed the 2nd stage valves this morning and found the larger of the two to be stuck. After freeing it up the compressor seems to work fine. Amazing how simple it was to fix. I may replace the valves anyway because of the compressor sitting so long unused.

I'm glad you were able to find the help you needed from your fellow divers here on Scubaboard. I have seen it work out this way over and over. Thanks to the helpful contributors that encouraged the OP and offered actual guidance towards the eventual solution.

RayfromTX - Thanks for reminding me to give proper thanks to all those that contributed to this thread and helping toward solving the problem. It was and is truly appreciated.

welcome to the world of compressed gas freedom. happiness is filling at home.

First stage popping definitely 2nd stage valves. Well unless a tube is clogged, but that’s highly unlikely. Of course you’ve already figured it out. Just for future reference when you have the head off, just replace both valves. It’s like $100 max for the set.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom