What's the deal with H-Valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, "team diving" is what I meant when I said I have chosen the "buddy provides my redundancy" philosophy among the various alternatives. It works for me at present, and it could work for most people in most recreational and technical diving, as proven by the impressive track record of the GUE people. You may be right that "it breaks down in real deep dives and in true sidemount dives." I know nothing about that kind of diving. I'm convinced there is no single system that's optimal for every kind of diving. I'm also convinced that the H-valve isn't optimal for any but perhaps the most narrow slice of diving.
agreed

A tank with an H-valve is easier to carry.
So I have one on my LP95. If I only want one reg, a plug is in the other hole.
No big deal.

A tank with an H-valve is easier to carry.
So I have one on my LP95. If I only want one reg, a plug is in the other hole.
No big deal.

:rofl3: Best answer yet.

Hey folks, thanks for all the input.
So from my understanding, people's biggest hangup with using them is less practical or technical and more hinged on their personal beliefs regarding redundancy?If you stick with diving long enough

So for a bit of personal history; I have a background in aviation. There, every backup system has a backup, and you never leave the ground if one backup proves faulty. Even while flying and using GPS you still follow your course using the paper chart on your knee. You know your check-in points, time to next action, distance to next point, airspeed, wind speed, etc. This is because you PLAN on your GPS failing at the most inopportune time. The same goes for my diving gear. These notions of redundancy are hard to kick, especially while you are in an environment where the gear you use is literally life support.
It may just be due to my limited experience as a diver, but I don't understand how someone can say that redundancy is required in one situation and not another.

And this I totally disagree with, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Most newer divers have never experienced gear failure, today gear is pretty good.

However newer divers quite reasonably have doubts about their competence, and often project that onto their fellow new divers. This is reinforced by repeated "insta buddy" failures.

That quite reasonably leads many new divers to view more equipment as the answer and reliance on a "buddy" to be foolhardy at best. The scuba industry feeds this with all sorts of "Spare Aire" and other convolutions.

The reality is more gear is not always the answer. Every piece of gear includes burdens, the burden to carry, to train to use, and to maintain.

IMO the most important piece of gear, and by far the most expensive, and difficult to obtain, is a qualified, like minded team mate.
If you stick with diving long enough you may well see your priorities change.

(BTW, you do know what the 2nd engine on a twin is for?)

Tobin

Hey folks, thanks for all the input.
So from my understanding, people's biggest hangup with using them is less practical or technical and more hinged on their personal beliefs regarding redundancy?

So for a bit of personal history; I have a background in aviation.

As do many of us here.

I don't understand how someone can say that redundancy is required in one situation and not another.

I always dive with a redundant air source. On most dives, it's the surface, and due to training, experience, athleticism, etc., I am completely confident of my ability to reach the surface in the case of an abrupt disruption of my source of breathing gas down to a particular depth. I use 35', for planning purposes, even though I know I can make it up from deeper.

Below 35', I usually use a twinset. On certain dives where logistics barriers preclude the use of a twinset, I use a pony. I practice OOA drills with pony and V-drills with a twinset. Rarely, I have dived as part of a team of 2 or 3 people where I have been confident depending upon their presence as a source of redundant air.

As I posted upthread, I used to dive with H-valves, but got rid of them and bought some twinsets. At this point I have twin LP72s, two pair of twin HP100s, and a pair of twin HP120s. I do not exceed 130 feet and rarely exceed 100 feet, and I find that the HP100s are the most practical except for dives that involve a long horizontal swim, where the HP120s make sense.

Lorenzoid:
Of the various options for redundancy, I have chosen the philosophy that my buddy provides my redundancy
And this I totally disagree with, but that's a whole other can of worms.

It depends on your buddy and your situation. Find someone who shares your diving style and approach to safety, and it suddenly makes sense. Most of my dives are solo, though, so I bring redundant air or stay shallow.

IMO the most important piece of gear, and by far the most expensive, and difficult to obtain, is a qualified, like minded team mate.

Probably the wisest thing I have seen posted ever. (I am married to mine :wink:)

Back
Top Bottom