Gloves for chilly water suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Manfrenjensenden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This is my first year of diving in New England. Temperatures at depth have been as low as 46 degrees F, and now at the tail end of summer are still only 49-50 (I'm told this year didn't warm up like normal). I use a 7mm fullsuit with a 7/5 hooded vest underneath, 7mm booties, and 5mm five-finger gloves. I'm pretty comfortable in that get-up for the most part until about 48 or 49 degrees, but my hands start getting cold in the low 50s, and by the time the water is in the 40s, they're uncomfortable, especially if at those temps for any extended period of time. Does anyone have suggestions (other than diving dry) for gloves that would be better than just my basic five-finger, 5mm neoprene?

Lined Dry Gloves with Wrist Seal - Seaskin Custom Diving Suits

s-l1600.jpg

I used 7mm gloves for a while up here. With that said, I recommend the dry gloves @MaxBottomtime linked to above. They should work with a wetsuit - believe me you'll never want to go back.

Scuba XS makes a nice pair of neoprene gloves. The are considered drive gloves. For the most part they are semi-dry. I have found these work well in the cold mountain lakes here. The gloves allow for good dexterity as well.

You'll find there are lots of recommendations. It all boils down to trying different gloves to see which works for you. It can be time consuming and somewhat pricey. What works for one person, may not work for you.

I'm local to you and what I did in the late fall was switch to the three finger mitts that Scott mentioned above. I'm not sure which shops locally carry them in stock, but years ago I think I bought my pair at Cape Ann Divers.

Thanks all, lots of gloves for me to investigate. Several questions:
  1. Echoing lermontov -- does it pose a problem to have the wrist seals on dry gloves directly on your skin in order to use with a wetsuit instead of a dry suit?
  2. Are the various dry glove options more fragile and likely to rip (hand part or seal) than neoprene gloves?
  3. If I do end up getting a dry suit down the line, could these dry gloves with seals that go on bare skin be adapted to connect to the dry suit?
Thanks.

the more i think about it the less sure i am of how well dry gloves would work with a wetsuit. I'm not sure how you could equalize your hands effectively - you'd probably end up with a bad squeeze once you're at depth. Maybe someone had an answer to that question?
To answer your other questions drysuit gloves can withstand an ok amount of abrasions but nothing like a neoprene glove. I went diving off Rhode Island last weekend in some decent current with my dry gloves on.... holding on to the wreck and shellfish attached to it left my dry gloves with lots of deep knicks. If you do go the dry glove path i believe you should be able to adapt most dry gloves to whatever drysuit you end up with - worst case you have 2 latex layers up against one another.
Again though - unless someone has a good method to equalize the gloves while you are in a drysuit I think I would stick to one of the other gloves mentioned above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom