Gear Advice for Novice Divers From Novice Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I need to point out that I DO NOT subscribe to the "inviting death" thing. I was simply saying there are people who do.

Also, I really like the comments about where to learn more about reg overhaul. Good stuff, and I am going to enjoy reading the linked posts.

Similarly, I agree with vis being largely unnecessary, but I've never had a problem with any shop filling my tanks with valid hydro and a vis sticker, no matter where I've taken my tanks. If you want to do your own vis, invest $50 in a set of stickers and save your $5 a year or whatever it is. For me, that just wasn't worth the effort.
Re-reading this I want to make a clarification. I wasn't intending to mean that vis is unnecessary. I meant learning to do you own vis is, in my opinion, not a good investment in time or money. Doing vis regularly, either on your own or by paying for it, is most definitely necessary.

This is for new divers who have gotten through their basic OW class. It ended up being way to long to post here so I put it on my blog and linked it. Hope it helps.

Gear Advice for New Divers

Please post any replies, questions, or comments here, not on the blog please.
I read your blog. It was well put together, and I enjoyed reading it. There is at least one area where I wish to take exception. I'll start by asking the question, "If you are at depth and your DC fails, how do you determine a) what your depth is?, and 2) how long have you been there?" Also, what is your total time under water?
In my earlier diving years (1984-1988), I spent a LOT of time with OW and AOW students. I got my first DC in October 1990. Until I got the computer (and since), I dived (and still dive) with a watch and an analog depth gauge. I may be a little anal about this, but I believe in redundancy. By the way, I still have my original computer: a Beauchat Aladdin Pro. Dive computers are a boon to the diver and dive industry and make the hobby much more enjoyable by increasing bottom time and safety, but they are not fail proof. Be prepared for the worst case, and hope for the best.
Just my 2 cents worth. Enjoy your diving and stay safe.
Regards,

I read your blog. It was well put together, and I enjoyed reading it. There is at least one area where I wish to take exception. I'll start by asking the question, "If you are at depth and your DC fails, how do you determine a) what your depth is?, and 2) how long have you been there?" Also, what is your total time under water?
In my earlier diving years (1984-1988), I spent a LOT of time with OW and AOW students. I got my first DC in October 1990. Until I got the computer (and since), I dived (and still dive) with a watch and an analog depth gauge. I may be a little anal about this, but I believe in redundancy. By the way, I still have my original computer: a Beauchat Aladdin Pro. Dive computers are a boon to the diver and dive industry and make the hobby much more enjoyable by increasing bottom time and safety, but they are not fail proof. Be prepared for the worst case, and hope for the best.
Just my 2 cents worth. Enjoy your diving and stay safe.
Regards,
Thank you. I agree with you about redundancy. There is nothing anal about that at all, especially in diving. Unless one starts diving doubles filled with nitrox for that 20 foot shore dive... I was originally planning to purchase a depth gauge instead of a computer until I learned that basic dive computers were not much more expensive than depth gauges. I think that addressing redundancy can be done several ways. I currently use a DC and a dive watch combo as a partial solution. Eventually I will replace my dive watch with a second DC as my full redundancy solution. However, I think this is an acceptable corner to cut for newer divers, given all the other gear demanding one's diving dollars. Admittedly it carries with it the risk of killing a dive, but the point is that won't kill the DIVER.

it is interesting to consider the consequences of failure of any of the three instruments most commonly included in a dive console: 1) a compass, 2) a depth gauge, and 3) a SPG. That consideration should also extend to the 4th 'instrument' - a timing device. IOW, what do / should you do if a gauge fails?

For ME - and I cannot say that my choices are the best, for anyone other than ME:

1. A compass

I generally do NOT carry a back-up compass

If my compass fails, it is very unlikely that I will terminate the dive, UNLESS that dives necessarily involves compass navigation.

2. A depth gauge.

I generally carry one DC on recreational dives as my depth gauge, and two or more DCs on technical dives as my depth gauges.

I generally know to what (maximum) depth I am going to dive, be it on a solo recreational dive, a buddy recreational dive, or a technical dive, before I enter the water. I also know my time limits at whatever depth I plan to dive, based on my pre-dive planning. On a solo recreational dive, I will (probably) go ahead and terminate the dive as soon as practical (that may involve swimming to an exit point) if my depth gauge fails. On a buddy recreational dive, i will probably link up with my buddy, and use their depth gauge as my depth indicator. On a technical dive, I usually carry two DCs, for depth and time information. So, if one fails, I will terminate the dive and begin the planned ascent to the surface, using the functioning DC. If both DCs fail, so I have no depth or time information: a) if I have a buddy, we will use his/her depth gauge for deco stops; b) if I am solo and have no depth gauge (very unlikely), I will - yes - guesstimate.

3. A SPG

Failure of an SPG is pretty much an auto-call - I am going to the surface. How I get there is a function of whether it is a recreational or technical dive, whether I am solo or with a buddy. But, I generally DO NOT carry a back-up SPG for back gas. So, an SPG failure on a recreational or technical dive is a basis for a controlled ascent to the surface. For many years I carried a 'brass & glass' SPG, AND used wireless air integration. At present, I do not have wireless AI, so my SPG is IT.

The bottom line in this thread - failure of gas supply information is a reason for a controlled ascent to the surface.

4. Timing device

Time is one of those data points that many divers take for granted. I certainly did, early in my diving 'career'. GENERALLY, on a recreational dive, loss of time information is not a serious issue, for ME. My gas supply will determine my bottom time, and I have no problem using my buddy's timing device on a recreational dive. On a technical dive, time information is critical. If I lose my timing information on a buddy technical dive, I will begin a controlled ascent, according to plan, simply leaving the bottom depth early. I WILL use use buddy's timing device, within NDLs, and certainly for decompression stops. If I am conducting a solo technical dive, It is very unlikely that I will suffer a complete failure of time information. But, if I do, I will - yes - guesstimate.

Again, these are MY general practices, as best I can organize them for purposes of this post. I do not suggest that others should adopt them. But, they may be a useful data point for consideration.

I read your blog from top to bottom. Very informative with a lot of insight - especially for someone like me who is new to diving with very limited knowledge of what to look for when shopping around and understanding the importance of buying gear/equipment to suit me. Will share this with my brother as he was recently certified also.

Thank you for posting.

I read your blog from top to bottom. Very informative with a lot of insight - especially for someone like me who is new to diving with very limited knowledge of what to look for when shopping around and understanding the importance of buying gear/equipment to suit me. Will share this with my brother as he was recently certified also.

Thank you for posting.
Glad it was helpful.

"If you are at depth and your DC fails, how do you determine a) what your depth is?, and 2) how long have you been there?"

Since this is the New Divers forum and the presumption is strictly recreational diving, I would say the answer to your questions are "look at your buddy's computer."

Are you diving with a purely mechanical dive watch alongside your analog depth gauge? If so, props to you. If not, then how are you any better off than if you just had 2 dive computers? If you are, then what mechanical dive watch and mechanical depth gauge would you recommend to someone who doesn't want to spend the $180 - 200 that it costs to get a cheap Nitrox-capable dive computer?

I can understand and find some consistency in people who say that they don't trust electronic devices so they have a dive computer and then back it up with a mechanical watch and mechanical depth gauge. But, the people who won't use a second computer "because it's electronic and electronics and seawater don't mix. If my computer dies, I need something that is 100% reliable" (or some other variation on the same theme) and then use an electronic watch or electronic bottom timer are ones that I cannot find consistency between their statements and their actions.

Are you diving with a purely mechanical dive watch alongside your analog depth gauge?
As a matter of fact, I do dive with a mechanical dive watch (Tag-Heuer Super Professional) that I have had since 1987. I trust my DC but should it fail (and my Beuchat Aladin Pro purchased 10/22/1990 also fails), then I have a "backup plan", which is fall back on the tables. Seriously, I don't use my Beuchat as a backup, because it only computes for 6 tissue compartments and I'm not sure which algorithm it uses, whereas, my Perdix is a little more robust. (I do like to compare the two computers for fun's sake). When I got the Beuchat in 1990 it was a pretty good computer.

My point with my questions is that the computer IMO should not take the place of "knowing" where you are, where you've been, and how long you've been there, and to raise awareness of new/newer divers to the fact that computers are not infallible. I'll admit that computer failures are rare, but they do happen. Hey, what do I know? I'm no longer a DM, don't take pictures anymore, only dive in warm water, and believe in having fun while also staying alive and cognizant of what's happening while I'm blowing bubbles.

Cheers - M²

My observations of diving deaths strongly indicates that fatalities are caused by panic and loss of focus. I promote and strive to practice the allocation of mental space for critical pressure, depth, time, and limits information throughout a dive. I find (20 dives in) that I can maintain awareness of pressure and depth easily, but rely on my computer for time and limits. The best resources are the ones you can train yourself to carry within you - focus, knowledge, skills, and physical fitness. A diver who can freedive with an 8 minute breath hold is not likely to freak out if faced with a loss of air at 60 feet. Another diver might need a pony bottle at 60 feet, and another will be safe relying on a buddy.

Within such a broad expanse of possible skill, fitness, and gear combinations for safe diving, there is no one universal solution. There are some gear selections that make more sense than others, though, and unless there is a nuclear blast or a devastating solar flare a dive computer and a gauge/watch combo are going to fail at a functionally similar rate. In other words, enough to want a backup, not enough to strongly prefer one over the other. And the DC also backs up temp, duration, etc. But yes, it absolutely should not replace our brains.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom