Thinking of pulling the trigger on an Oceanic GEO 2.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@KDAD, thanks for sharing.

@stuartv, be careful what you wish for.

I definitely need to do this on mine, especially given the lost screw situation.

Pictures of how I did my old Petrel 2 here:

Shearwater Petrel 2 by Stuart Vernon

Those were without grommets installed in the straps. I got the grommets and tool to install them later.

You could do the same thing with 2 pieces of bungee or surgical tubing through 1 strap, for a watch style computer. Now that it has come up, maybe I'll do that for my Seabear. I have a NATO strap on it now, but sometimes, with gloves on, it's a bit of a pain to do up the buckle and tuck the tail of the strap away properly.

@KDAD, thanks for sharing.

@stuartv, be careful what you wish for.

I definitely need to do this on mine, especially given the lost screw situation.

I'm not sure what screw you're talking about. I don't remember a screw on my Atom's strap, unless you're talking about the small threaded end of the strap pin. If so, you definitely need to replace that, regardless.

Anyway, totally serious, if you want to come over sometime. Maybe you can bring a little extra of the webbing, so I can bum some from you to make my own bungee mount for my Atom. :) Just make sure you get thin nylon webbing. Thick webbing will not fit between the Atom strap pin and the computer. I imagine the Geo is the same. My NATO strap was just thick enough to be a real pain to put together on my Atom.

Stuart, I used a similar method as the Shearwater bungee strap to make a soft Goodman handle for my cheap Ebay Chinese light using 2" harness webbing.

Stuart, I used a similar method as the Shearwater bungee strap to make a soft Goodman handle for my cheap Ebay Chinese light using 2" harness webbing.

I've thought about doing something like that. But, I have never been able to think of a good way to really secure the light. And then I finally took @tbone1004 's advice and got an Oxycheq Raider light sock and it is really the bomb. However, if you figured out something clever, please post some pics!

I actually bought some sheets of Kydex. I was going to try to make my own handle using that and bungee. It's pretty easy to heat form. I really want something that will put the light at an angle on the back of my hand, so the tail of the light doesn't hit my arm or dry glove ring and so it actually points forward when I put my hands together in front of me.

I really should just get my sewing machine back from my niece....

@stuartv I'll take you up on that. I definitely want bungees on this computer.

Just to add to the bungee ideas, a nice way to make bungee strap adjustable is to use cord lock.

Or you can just use a Fisherman's knot. Example shown in the pictures on Photobucket that I linked to in my previous post.

One nice thing about the Fisherman's knot is you can tie it loosely to leave it easy to slide/adjust. Or you can really put it tight, to make it very unlikely to slip out of adjustment by accident. I have never seen a cord lock that would let you adjust the tension it has.

@stuartv I'm no where to the point in my diving where I will be doing gas switching, but that, and the low profile, seem to be the 2 big reasons Oceanic gives for going with the Geo over the Veo.

I can see mounting standard wrist computers with bungees but to do so with a low profile computer/ watch seems to defeat the purpose of the design.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom