Etiquette on carrying a knife during dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Students though. Anyway, She's not that bad I think, but perhaps there is a better more informative video out there for comparison sake?

From the YouTube: This talk was given at a TEDx event using the TED conference format but independently organized by a local community. (i.e., not students, there is a mix of ages)

I agree. She's not that bad. She's horrible.

For comparison sake, note how similarly Ocean Ramsey speaks to adults as Dr. Ingrid Visser speaks to small children:
Actually, I think Dr. Visser speaks towards a higher level of intellect.

Last edited:
Students though. Anyway, She's not that bad I think, but perhaps there is a better more informative video out there for comparison sake?
it's possible to insult the intelligence of students. Student is a rather broad term and can refer to those attending anything from primary school to grad school.

You can speak simply to those of lower education without sounding like an idiot yourself. It's done daily by good educators and orators. This woman is not among them.

Yes: Timothy Treadwell's.

Ever tried the powerhead? Another customer who hangs out at my favorite LDS is an avid spearfisherman who did. It blew out both his eardrums and he was out of diving for quite a long time as a result. For your sake, make sure it really is a last resort :wink:
Sorry for the delay, but no. Haven't needed to. I did slip the powerhead on the spear once, but that shark kept it's distance so didn't have to use. It is definitely as a last resort. I don't want to kill a shark that isn't putting me in danger.

I am hesitant on asking this question for fear of being judged but will go ahead and do so anyway. I am getting OW certified in a few weeks. My purpose behind doing so is so that my brother and I can travel to the Caribbean (to start off with) 3 or 4 times a year and dive. We both have an avid appreciation for the outdoors and the main "goal" we have with wanting to dive is to be under clear water, appreciate what life down below is like and see cool/colorful/interesting marine life.

Having said that, something that he and I are equally afraid of are sharks. I'm not going to isolate our fear to one or two types, we are simply afraid of sharks. This might be the point in my thread where someone tells me if that's the case, I need to find something else to do but I will press on.

I want to know what the etiquette is of carrying a knife underwater simply to have as a resource to defend myself should the need ever arise. From talking to a friend at work, who has been ocean diving for 15 years, he told me that he never carries a knife on him and that certain places won't even let you dive with one. We plan on diving in places that are not known for having sharks in waters but no one will ever be able to guarantee that.

Am I being too scared here or is this a valid question? I am fully aware that when we're down below, we're in their world and need to accept the potential consequences. My theory behind this is the same theory I apply to conceal carrying a firearm during every day life. I do not do so because I want to feel "tough", show off or feed my ego. I simply do so in the event that if something were to happen and I'd need to defend myself or my family, I would be able to do so and not be begging for my life at someone else's mercy.

Can the same mentality be applied to diving? I want to say in advance that if this post offends anyone, I apologize. I do not want to come across as egotistical, I'm simply new and don't understand how this is perceived by the general community.

I'm late to reply and only read through about 5 pages, so sorry for any repeats. Based on your being able to go to the Caribbean, which is where I tend to go, sharks are generally a rare sighting. Reef and nurse sharks are the 2 most common I've come across. The shark dive I did was all reef sharks.

I looked at the fear of coming across a shark early on the same way I did in riding Space Mountain in Disneyworld. Everyone else, including people much older than me at the time, was coming out of the exit at the end of the ride. Same way with diving; every dive I've been on, everyone has exited the water. BTW, you can swim (or used to be able to) with sharks in Typhoon Lagoon in at Disney. Your at the surface and sharks stay on the bottom.

The first shark I saw while in the water, other than a nurse shark, was a reef shark while I was snorkeling on the East End of Grand Cayman just off the Morritt's Tortuga pier. As it swam toward me, my first instinct was to make sure my camera was on and take pictures (a suggestion from an earlier post.)

Regarding knives, I purchased one a year ago and have yet to take it on any of the 33 dives since the purchase. The sheath looks good on my BC though!! For whatever reason the knife has stayed in my bag on the boat while I dive. Many Caribbean dive sites will be in areas where knives are prohibited. My only purpose for the knife was as a line cutter.

Echoing what everyone else has said; its a good idea to carry a knife. But you carry it to cut yourself out of net, or otherwise help a buddy do the same. Kelp is hard to break, but easy to cut. To shank a shark...not so much.

Wait till after you finish open water before adding gear beyond the bare necessities. Also make sure you can take it out of its sheath before every dive. Sand can get in the way and make it difficult or impossible to take out. You dont want to find that out when you need it.

As a side note, I unknowingly lost a knife years ago, presumably during a dive. How I didn't notice it was not in the sheath when kitting down and dragging stuff to the car is a mystery. Since then I have used fishing line to attach the knife to the sheath. Of course you need just the right amount of line--so you can still remove the knife for use yet not extra line floating around. A good friend from the shop in NY suggested the lost knife was probably now in somebody's chest.

Dear sharks,
next time before attacking a spearman with only one knife on the two of you, give me a call. I'll be happy to lend you a second knife, a waxwood spear (you'll have to sharpen the tip though), a ratan bo, and we can talk about practice -- but still perfectly serviceable -- swords.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom