Undersuits - When do they get TOO warm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

petpetpet

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've seen many threads describing various thermal solutions and how warm they are. Generally these focus on how cold water can get while preventing the wearer from freezing.

Two undersuits have caught my eye - appearing to be quite warm without restricting movement too much, and not overly buoyant. The Whites/Aqualung thermal fusion, and the Kwark Navy.

These garments are pretty expensive - so I'm wondering what temperature range these would comfortably handle. In particular - it's pretty clear these can deal with cold water - but how warm can the water be before they become unbearable to wear?

NB: trilam drysuit.

Last edited:
When I dive dry I do layer my thermals (none of the ones you mentioned). Layering helps you stay warm which is common for people hiking in very cold weather. How much to wear is really a subjective thing only the operator can answer.

I think I answered your question partially and indirectly.

I don't have any experience with those two specific undergarments, but I can assure you that this is something to ask about.

My first drysuit was a Whites Fusion. When I bought it, I got two different undergarments they were selling at the time--their MK2 and MK3 undergarments. Most of my diving was done in water around 60° F, and I used the MK2's for that. They were just fine for dives typically lasting 90 minutes.

I then went to Puget Sound and did a day of diving at about 46° F. Figuring that was cold, I brought my MK3 undergarments, and I wore a hood--the Whites Heat model. After a one hour night dive, I was sweating.

Not long after that, I did a fairly long dive in the cave at Ginnie Springs in Florida, about 71° F. I used the MK2 and the hood. This was into a current, so I had to work a bit. I actually called the dive a couple hundred PSI before thirds because I was so uncomfortably warm. It was simply not pleasant diving in those conditions.

If you are going to dive in a variety of conditions, you really want a variety of undergarments. If you are interested in my MK3s, I can sell them to you at a good price. I haven't worn them since Puget Sound.

Being way too insulated is uncomfortable, you start off unpleasantly warm which makes you sweat too much. Then your insulation gets damp from the sweat and you eventually start feeling uncomfortably cold. Better to have layers you can add or remove or to have a few undergarments of different thickness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom