LCBR Live Update (9/19/17)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AggieDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, we are halfway through our dive week, and I figured it was time for me to update a few things we have discussed over the last few months.

First, the food is fine. Yes, I would rate it just a step below Chef Anthony's creations, but I actually think it is better than it was 2 years ago when we visited in Sept. 2015. Claudia and dining room staff are of course friendly and awesome as always.

Second, Mermaids is closed as of early September and the rumor is the building may be used as the new front desk/checkin. Perhaps the long rumored dining room expansion is coming?

Third, Lara is leaving the Nature Spa as of sometime in late October and moving back to Florida. Wife and I have always enjoyed her massages and will miss her!

Fourth, United sucks. They somehow managed to check in our two bags in Houston, and lose one of them on a direct nonstop flight from Houston to Grand Cayman. That was Saturday afternoon...they finally got our bag to us Tuesday midday. I am still mystified by how they could lose one of two bags checked in side by side. It was the bag with our BCs and fins and most of our clothing. Reef Divers provided BCs and fins free of charge for the last three days. Truly great service here and they never miss a chance to make sure you have a great experience.

Fifth, Dolphins!!! Or maybe porpoises, we are still checking. There are two that have been hanging out in the lagoon for the last two days. It looks perhaps like an adult with a younger one. Kinda wondering if they are storm refugees that came south to avoid Irma.

Sixth, very little sargassum weed in the lagoon and near shore. There is a small line of weed on the beach each day that it appears they are raking into piles at some point during the day. No sign of major trash or mess on the beach beyond what little normally washes up.

Seventh, big stuff...like eagle rays, turtles, large barracuda, nurse sharks, large jacks, permit, triggerfish, southern stingrays seem to be plentiful as always. On Sunday, there were tons of small turtles in the lagoon right near the channel. We were seeing 10-12 each time we came back in.

Nice calm seas and great vis so far. First three days have all been on the north side with tons of neat stuff captured on photo or video. Will post some more to the pic thread later.

Good for you! Seems all around conditions are a step up since our visit a few weeks back....look forward to your pictures.

...Third, Lara is leaving the Nature Spa as of sometime in late October and moving back to Florida. Wife and I have always enjoyed her massages and will miss her!...

Thanks for the report we will be there soon and I am just hoping that the hurricanes keep avoiding Cayman! I am sorry to hear that Lara is leaving although I wish her the best. There is a note on the website stating:
PLEASE NOTE: Nature Spa at Little Cayman Beach Resort will be closed August 29 – October 3

Can you try and find out if the spa will be open and offering massages in late October/early November? I will miss Lara but I really look forward to getting a massage on a dive vacation!

Last edited:
I will ask her if I see her tomorrow. She was quite surprised when I told her that Reef Fantaseas had told me she was closed from Sept 9-16. I believe she is moving sometime in early November, but I am not sure when her last day working will be.

One other note I forgot to add previously was on dive boat #s. They are running three boats this week, and we had 15 divers for one afternoon dive, but otherwise have had 12-14 most dives, and 8 this afternoon.

One update my wife just gave me when she came back from her massage was that they are actively looking for somebody to replace Lara, and have quite a bit of interest in the position, but no idea yet when the new person will start.

...One other note I forgot to add previously was on dive boat #s. They are running three boats this week, and we had 15 divers for one afternoon dive, but otherwise have had 12-14 most dives, and 8 this afternoon.

We usually don't follow the leader, so that's fine, thanks! But I am worried about our upcoming trip; so many people need to reschedule vacations because of hurricane damage and I am worried that autumn - a traditionally quiet season - will suddenly be packed with people and there will still be lots of staff out on vacation and boats out for maintenance!

But most of all I am praying that the hurricanes stay away!

Never did catch back up with Lara, but I am sure if you call the resort directly they can tell you. As of yesterday afternoon, the dolphins were still hanging around in the lagoon. Got a few pictures of them that I will post later. The larger one (presumably the mother) has a notch in the top of her dorsal fin that should make her easy to identify in future encounters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom