Tobermory Dive Report September 15, 2017

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As said, the Arabia is a challenge being out in the middle of open water. Currents and cold make it potentially a difficult dive. Niagara II, for some reason, is one of the coldest dives there. Forest City poses issues in that you can get real deep, and not realize it due to the orientation of the wreck. The cold can really compound things, and the caution by the shop should be heeded.

I've seen numerous issues with inexperienced divers on these wrecks.

This is not Brockville.....
I was told... cannot attest to the veracity, but Captain Gary with G&S seems to know what he is about... the Niagara II is supposedly very close to an aquifer outlet which is the reason for the level of cold in that location.

You could try diving the King a couple of times, it's deep enough. Then the charter operator gets to see how you are doing, and you likely progress to the Niagara 2.

Finally Arabia/Forest City.

Go to Les Escoumins in Quebec. Its shore diving that is shallow, beautiful and F*n cold.
Next year when thay ask about cold water diving tell them about Les Escoumins.
Yes, but to dive Les Escoumins you need a FQAS card, to get this you need cold water experience.

I do understand the rationale but when I asked them the general requirements, they said that they would like to see ten cold, deep water dives before doing their morning dives. So I asked them point blank -- where should I get this experience then because it doesn't seem like it's going to be with them. If not them, then with who and where? They were quite vague on making any suggestions. I might have even been open to taking a specialty course dive with one of their instructors but they did not offer this option.

In contrast, the dive shop in Brockville did not have such constraints for those certified advance and above. So the way I left it with Diver's Den is that maybe I'll have to take my diving as far as deeper dives goes, elsewhere like Brockville, until I accumulate the ten cold water deep dives before returning to Tobermory for their deeper sites.

What are they asking for in terms of depth, more than 60ft? You can get to 70 ft at the Lighthouse, a Tobermory shore dive, more depth if you go to the west/left around the point.

If you get scooters, you can do the Niagara by a shore dive from Little Cove.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom